I am on my second set of akas on my 2010 TI (mine since 2012). The first set had almost no play, the current set has much more (maybe 1 mm at the joint). It turned out the no play was not a good thing, though.
Unbeknownst to me, there had been galvanic corrosion between the stainless hinge pin and the aluminum knuckle casting, enough the seize the pin. In its first life, the boat lived at a saltwater marina in San Diego, and judging by it condition when I bought it, spent almost all of its time on shore, amas folded, under a tarp cover.
After the pin seized, the amas could only have been opened by breaking either the seizure, or the screw holding the pin stationary with respect to plastic knuckle end cap, and thus to the aka. What let go was the screw. In a new joint, removing this screw allows the pin to fall out of the knuckle, but with the pin seized to the aluminum, it stayed put, and there was essentially no play in the joint, and I was none the wiser.
However, then I took the boat on a wilderness trip on the Colorado River. Probably due just to Murphy forces in such a setting (their strength is proportional to the square of the distance from help), but maybe due extreme temperature differences between the water (52°F, 11°C) and the air (110°F, 43°C), one of the pins came free of its seizure and fell out while we were tacking in pretty gnarly conditions (narrow canyon, strong but variable wind, significant current).
When I got back, I looked inside all of the knuckles, and every one of the screws was sheared off.
Anyway, I now have new akas (Hobie was GREAT), and they have much more play, I think probably more than my originals ever had, probably a bit less than 1 mm at the knuckle, so the corrosion problem is unlikely to repeat (especially because now I am watching, lubricating, washing that, so Murphy can take advantage of my distraction to work somewhere else).
I like the new hinge design, but I agree that the older hinge (I have a 2008 AI) is simpler and would not have had or hidden this problem. I have also had the aka slip out of its socket unexpectedly, which the old design could not do.