Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone, really have enjoyed your forum over the last year, and I am hoping you can help, My wife and I are retiring next year and want to travel Australia with our tandem and caravan, our first trip for a month will be to Lake Macquarie, Myall Lakes, Port Stephens, and Foster as a trial for our trip.
I was hoping to hear from anyone who sails these areas about places to stay, as we have to car top the hobie, we need to launch from a caravan park or similar. Will be travelling in October and usually sail in sheltered waters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Lonnie,
I reckom I can help... straight off the bat, I know of suitable launch sites (adjoining caravan parks) at Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens, Myall Lakes and Forster. As I am retired too, I am very flexible, and would be happy to join you out on the water during your test trip.

I would recommend that you fit a fishfinder/plotter (like a Lowrance Elite 4) with Navionics Silver chart (or similar), as well as (ideally) the brilliant Navionics smartphone app, which covers all of Oz for under $15. You would find these invaluable as you explore new places.

Send me a PM and we can swap info offline.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Lonnie.
I'm rather jealous as I have to wait another year or so before doing the same thing.
Tony should see you straight regarding those places to visit.

If you get to South Australia, give me a yell and I can show you some great places.
Make sure you keep posting here or the Aus site so we can all dream.

This is my rig, ready for retirement and travelling:

Cheers,
Brian in SA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys, thanks for your comments, have got navionics on the phone now, brilliant, and installing fish finder this weekend, looking forward to meeting up, also Brian, will definately call you when we hit South Australia, and if you have any closer photos of your roof rack set up, would love to see them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ronnie, I just have to get around to doing a video to show it properly but here is some info.

I built this rack, before getting the TI, with adjustable runners via the garage door chanel used.

I then mounted a winch in my garage and replaced the chains with a hook which goes through the front mirage drive hole.

So I store the TI, on the frame, on those runners in the grooves in the base of the hull, right way up. Coming up to two years without problems to the hull. I think it is important that I have a block which is exacltly under the mast step, to take some of the load.

I also have a hand cart with smaller runners and big wheels, which sits on the rack, under the TI.
To unload, I simply slide off the back of the car, onto the cart to take down the ramp or across the beach. I have tied a long rope to the cart to get across soft sand or up a steep ramp.

I found that the back corner of the hull touched the ground so I made this device that goes in the rudder mount, to protect the hull and keep it level when unloading or loading. Also makes a nice handle to use.

I also mounted a pole to the front cross member of the car, via a Hayman Reece type fitting.
That pole supports the front of the frame because there is so much overhang. I found I also had to fit cables from the wheel well, through the bonnet gap to that pole. Strong side winds were putting too much strain on the fitting of the pole.

All in all, works very well, sitting on standard roof racks which stay on the car.
There is no doubt the TI is heavy to lift the nose up onto the rack. I suspect when I get older I will want a winch to do that, but for now is good.

If you want further details, including detailed photos and size, let me know.

Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There's a great app called Wiki camps shows camp/caravan sites, boatramps, costs directions via gps - costs $2.90and well worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Lonnie, send me a message if you are ever over in WA and want some ideas of places to sail, or company on a trip out.

Geordie (Perth)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On the topic of car topping the TI, I think this may be of interest to you.
Rhino Rack side boat loader with TI cradles fitted to top rack.

Change man, I like your rack idea for sliding the boat up in-line from the rear rather than side-on like mine. The winch system on the Rhino Rack could also work for you. It used a cordless drill to power a worm drive and roll a rope around a shaft to pull the boat up. You could easily adapt the same type of system.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Geordie.
I hadn't thought of using a battery drill.
The Rhino replacement worm drive is dearer than an electric boat winch but I can probably find a cheaper worm drive and adapt it.
I would mount the winch on the post at the front of the car.
Not sure if my rack extends far enough past the rear of the car but could add if required.
Perhaps a bracket under the nose of the TI, connected to the cleat at the top of the boat and cords to the front Aka.

Crikey, who started this.
I'm going to have to do some experimenting now and no doubt spend money that I told the Mrs I wouldn't need because we no longer have a boat in the weather that needs maintenance and mooring fees. And I had a winter project to reconnect the Akas as the rivets have worked loose and don't tell me winter is over yet. But I do enjoy a good challenge.

I'll post some results one day. For now I'm getting ready to spend 4 days at Loxton where the caravan site is right on the edge of the River Murray. I'm sure the Akas will stand up to another 4 days.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ChangeMan wrote:
Hi Geordie.
I hadn't thought of using a battery drill.
The Rhino replacement worm drive is dearer than an electric boat winch but I can probably find a cheaper worm drive and adapt it.
I would mount the winch on the post at the front of the car.
Not sure if my rack extends far enough past the rear of the car but could add if required.
Perhaps a bracket under the nose of the TI, connected to the cleat at the top of the boat and cords to the front Aka.

Crikey, who started this.
I'm going to have to do some experimenting now and no doubt spend money that I told the Mrs I wouldn't need because we no longer have a boat in the weather that needs maintenance and mooring fees. And I had a winter project to reconnect the Akas as the rivets have worked loose and don't tell me winter is over yet. But I do enjoy a good challenge.

I'll post some results one day. For now I'm getting ready to spend 4 days at Loxton where the caravan site is right on the edge of the River Murray. I'm sure the Akas will stand up to another 4 days.

Hi Guys, thanks for all the input, looking forward to catching up with as many people as possible around oz, but just to add something to think about, we are using a Rhino Rack T-Loader Hitch Mount Loader, at the rear of the car, then when we tow the van, we remove it and use the Hayman reece hitch, but other seeing Brians setup, decided to put a collar on the bullbar so I can place the T-Loader at the front, and load from the front, and leave it there to spread the weight over the racks. Do you ever get to a stage when you stop modifing things, with Hobies. Also, if anyone is coming to Brisbane, would be happy to share our sailing spots as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great thread here. I too am planning a retirement road trip around Oz, and have already learned a heap about apps, rooftopping rigs, and networks.
I am in S.A. and while I can't claim a comprehensive knowledge (yet) of sailing spots, would be happy to share what I know and also join in a jaunt, work permitting.
One tip straight off would be to launch from garden Island and do a dolphin and seal bothering expedition. Although the landscape in the Port River is a little bizarre, very actually, with an industrial skyline, mangroves, and a working port, it is fascinating watching it all happen, fun risking annihilation by large vessels, and the Port River dolphins are pretty reliable companions. Exploring the mangroves is also worthwhile, as is the ships graveyard. At the outlet of the harbour, on the northern breakwater, there is now a huge ( more than 85 a few weekends back) seal colony for your delectation. The brave will be in the water frolicking with the young ones, but even from the boat you can sidle right up and watch the domestics of the colony. Highly recommended.
Let's make this thread an Oz road trip compendium.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would love to go back to Adelaide to my old Holland 25 haunts. I used to have a mooring at tghe Small Boat Club, and later at the CYC marina. A great sailing location! The Port river industrial environment looks beautiful at night with the sparkling lights of the cement works. :mrgreen: , and the river is actually great for Islands.

I got my very first taste of multihulls inside the harbour at Port, when I was given a ride on a Seawind 23 cat. The skipper pulled on the mainsheet and I fell over backwards!

I am happy to provide details of my local area, as well as provide personal guiding services free of charge :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Lonnie. If you're planning on a sail around Lake Macquarie, not a problem. Just let me know some expected dates and I'm sure we can arrange a guided tour. Attached is an old thread showing probably the best caravan / tent site on the lake. viewtopic.php?f=74&t=36074&p=146298&hilit=wangi#p146298 I don't know what your accommodation plans are for your trip but if you type Rathmines into google, you can pull a caravan up in the park area and legally stay over. No showers but toilets and free BBQ's. I live in Rathmines as well so we can easily head out from there. Just let me know.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Garden Island is also one of my favourite spots. I have done lunch at St Kilda Pub from there, circumnavigation at night and certainly the ship wrecks. I find I have to drop the mast to get under the power station bridge, which isn't difficult in the calm waters. I also like Sowdens Beach and a sail to the Port to get pancakes for morning tea.
Life can be so hard sometimes.
Why did you ever leave South Australia Tony?

Abonnin, I have sent you an email so we can catch up for a sail some time.

Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I confess that in a mad moment I once snuck my Holland 25 with its five foot draft fin keel across the mangroves from Port River into the eastern channel. Silly move, requiring high tide, and the consequencs of getting stuck on a falling tide focused the mind!