Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm going to Gulf coast next week and planning to take my 2015 AI out in the gulf for the first time. I've had the AI only on local lakes maybe 25 - 30 times since I bought it last summer. I searched the forum and couldn't quickly find info that I am looking for. I would really appreciate any tips about how to best launch and return to beach - for example, the sequence of events to negotiate getting past the waves. Like when to unfurl/furl the sail, when to engage the mirage drive, etc. I've rented catamarans on the beach and done ok getting through the waves but they don't have the centerboard and mirage drive to contend with, and are also heavier boats that can withstand the waves better. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

there is probably a post in the past on this. Best way to land is by making the boat clean , rudder up, centerboard up, drives out , and sail rolled up... before the surf break. You are 4-5 deep water at least.
Then with about a 6 foot line make yourself the anchor attached to the bow. Yes you have to get wet but just swimming the boat in backwards with it between you and beach works great. Once you get past the break you have to grab the bow and keep the stern headed straight to the beach.

Getting back out depends on a lot of things. On a tandem with two its pretty easy. Just have the crew board and get their drive ready. Once you walk out pulling from the bow past the break have your crew start peddling and climb on.

By yourself is tougher and the wind can help Getting the rudder down, getting the center board down and jumping on and pulling out the sail all takes some practice. If you cant bust out grab the bow and walk it back in and wait or make a new plan. I have gone out in 2-3 foot surf using this method. Much more than that I think the only option other than waiting would be to swim the boat out past the break

If you go gonzo and have to land sailing straight in besides getting the boat clean you have to be ready to quickly jump off and keep it pointed toward the beach. The surf and return swell will be trying hard to turn the boat sideways and this is were damage can occur to the akas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A drift sock makes reentry super easy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Show me a beach where a drift sock works and I'll do a cakewalk pedal landing every time. But I guarantee I could show you some beaches with harry pedal landings where a drift sock/drone would be a disaster just waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Texas gulf coast.. beats the heck outta surfing in with the nose 6 inches under water

https://youtu.be/o-64Xhmhgak