Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had time for a quick sail after work today. For some reason I couldn't furl in my sail. I've only used the boat three times some it's most likely user error.

I tried it a few way but with no luck. First with the sail out I cleated the main sheet and uncleated the furling sheet..nothing happened. So then I pulled on the furling sheet and all I did was pull out more sail. So then I uncleated the mainsheet and tried the process again...nothing happend. In the end I just wrapped the sail up by hand. Could one of you guys shed some light on this for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You cannot pull either without the other being un-cleated. One won't move unless the other one does, unless you have something backwards.

From what you describe, you have the furling line wound onto the furling drum in the wrong direction.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may have not setup the lines correctly when setting up the boat this time. Did you remember to pull all the reefing line out through it's cleat before connecting the sheet-line to the clue (back corner of the sail)?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You know I was rushing to get in the water so I could have missed some steps. In what order should I do things next time I get on the water, and which direction should I wind the reefing line onto the drum?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

First...

The small hook and short line at the clew (rear corner) should be on the outside of the sail when the sail is rolled up on the mast. That line wraps around the sail and the knot locks into the hook to hold the sail rolled up for storage. So if you start there... it should all work.

You can unwind the line from the drum with the sail furled around the mast. When you unfurl the sail by pulling on the sheet or the clew (aft corner)... the line will wind onto the drum in the right direction. Then when you pull the furling line again it winds (furls) the sail back around the mast. Just remember to hook the little line back into the hook to keep the sail furled when you take the rig down.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I set up my Islands:
1. raise the mast/sail
2. put reefing line through it's cleat and pull all it's line through
3. roll back 1/2 - 3/4 turns of reefing line back on the spool (for more complete reefing on the water)
4. cleat down reefing line
5. tie the reefing line and the sheet-line ends together forming one large loop
6. release the sail clue and connect the sheet-line hook to it

all set to go!

Don't feel bad, after a few hundred sails, most with other Islands, I've seen reefing lines rolled backward on it's spool. Many times forgetting to pull the reefing line out before connecting the sheet-line. And even quite a few times forgetting to connect the lines at all before launch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We've all done it. That's why it's always a good idea to extend and furl the sail one time before you leave the dock. Easier to deal with it there than somewhere out on the water, particularly if the wind is really up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KB has it right; however, the one thing I remember at the beginning is "with the sail furled and tied with the little (1 ft) line (as Matt said), then (as KB said), "put the furling line through the cleat and pull the line all the way through." That is, in the beginning, with the sail furled, the furling line should be pulled through the cleat completely. This makes sense, because when you furled the sail last, you had to completely pull the furling line thru the cleat--the sail is furled and all the furling line is laying in the bottom of the cockpit--this is the way you start your next trip. Then, complete KB's steps 4-6 (step 3 is nice, but not required.)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the advice. We will get this right at some point. It was like a laurel and hardy episode out there today. I was rushing like crazy to get on the water before dark. I used to sail most evenings after work at a sailing club I belong to but with daylight savings I've not been out much. So I was really itching to sail. I rushed out into the water I made it past the breakers abs the aka popped off the boat. No matter how I pulled it I couldn't get it to pull close to the hull. So I dived in the water to and grabbed the aka and popped. It back into the hull. Then I pulled the sail out and started to take off. For some reason the sail was acting funny and I couldn't figure out why. I tried a few things then I looked to the back of the boat and the main sheet was twisted around the dolly wheels. I had a nightmare image of the sail powering up and flinging the $200 wheels into the ocean. So I stood up and walked to the back of the boat and untangled the wheels. After that I staeted sailing but before long I had to save one of my paddles from falling off the boat. Oh yeah I forget to mention I grabbed down a broken down paddle but failed to notice i had grabbed. Two male ends. Other than all that and the non furling sail I had a great quick sail after work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a pretty typical beginner day on the water. BTW, you can definitely catch things in the rear storage by your main sheet and throw them in the water. Carts with balloon wheels will float, but, $200 rod/reels do not.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon