Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi guys,

I've been having lower-back problems, which I think I've tracked-down to poor-technique when inserting my
Trax-2 scupper cart into my A.I.

I have to beach the yak first, as the water-conditions are generally too rough to attempt it while still on the
water.

The method I used is that once on the beach I remove the sail, fold in and bungee the AMAS, then (with the
Trax cart in my left hand) lift the entire rig up with my right hand, until it's almost on its side. I then have to
bend down slightly and slide the cart uprights into the rear scuppers.

Doing this once per month seems to have taken its toll on my lower back. A recent CT appeared to show
no damaged to the discs (luckily?), but I have an appointment with the physio to try and see what else
could be up.

Anyway, I'd like to still use the A.I., but I'm after suggestions for a safer, back-friendly method of getting
the A.I. onto it's cart without completely frigging my back. The only way I can thing of is to pretty-much
dismantle the A.I. until it's just the hull, them plonk it on the cart and reassemble everything.

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a similar issue. I launch at a boat ramp that takes it toll on the bottom with scrapes... I didn't feel like lifting my baby on her side and also suffer from back problems.

I simply utilized my wheels and transformed my scupper cart into the "Apple cart" that a few have done here. Just search for it. Makes my life so much easier!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just did a search for apple cart.
Only found this thread and one that talks about upsetting the apple cart. Can you please post a link.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you think an AI is hard, wait till you try retrieving a TI!
A dolly type cart is easier for retrieval, though maybe not in rough beach conditions. SunESailor's 'appel' cart was based on using a TI trailer cradle. I copied it and mounted it to a Rhino roof rack bar. You may be able to adapt an AI cradle. See viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35157
Could dragging the AI one handed be contributing to back problems? Adding an extra handle so you can use both arms evens up the pressure on your spine. In my experience it's the uneven twisting of the spine that causes problems. Lifting the AI while holding the cart is asking for problems. Try positioning the cart close by then lift the folded AI with both hands, standing 90 degrees to the hull. Once the balance point is reached then insert the cart.
Leaving the mast in will make it less of an effort turning the AI on its side and shouldn't cause any damage. I seem to remember Matt Miller recommending this a while ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For my cart, I simply purchased an aluminum tube (I want to say 1/2in) that fit my wheeleez tires. I then attached my cradles to the tube with some tube type clamps from the hardware store. Very simple.

I did not purchase an additional cradle. I chose to leave the front cradle on my trailer and use 6ft bunk boards for the rear support in order to make the cart. Others have done a good job incorporation the actual cart into their trailer design. I would have don't this, however it is not possible with my trailer.

You don't need the hobie cradles-I suppose you could use the basic roof rack foam block (the tube would run through it) with slight modifications.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before getting a trailer I used to car top our TI. 90% of the time I launch from beaches ( I hate powerboat docks). I would typically remove the AMA's and carry separately. With the sail in I would tip the boat on it's side insert the scupper cart, then remove the sail then tip the boat back up onto the wheels for transport to the car. It was easiest on my back.
Bob