Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Two years ago I bought the Adventure, and can say that I truly love that kayak for fishing. Back in 2012, as the approaching apocalypse loomed, I swore that Id never want or need to go AI, thus splurging on the kayak hull only. Fisherman first, but utilizing kayaks as transport to fishing spots for over 15 years, I wasnt new to it all. We all evolve, in the beginning, I thought I was a paddling purist. Then the mirage drive quickly proved that I was more a fisherman than I was a paddler. Sure, that 3.3mile paddle offshore was doable before, and we caught fish, but now I was getting there without breaking a sweat and fishing the whole way out to the rig and back. So, my adventure and me have had some great trips, been really lucky, and have yet to get skunked. But now, I get to that 3.3mile rig, and I see the next one at 4.2, and the next one 6 miles out and so on, they all seem obtainable now.

I pulled the trigger on the Conversion Kit today. And the new Up/Down Rudder. And some AI specific odds n ends. I figured, if I continue to travel further, I will eventually want or need the wind to help me out. And if I am way out there, Id benefit from the added stability and space the AI offers.

I will thank this forum ahead of time, for the many hours of information Ive digested over the last few weeks. Many thanks to the contributors. Proof that what you document here, can and does help.

and now for the re-rigging...

Cheers to being "way out there"
Hookdem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's going to add a whole new dimension to your fishing excursions. And don't be surprised if every now and then you forego the fishing and just sail for the heck of it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom, I believe you. As my first sailing vessel, I have some learning to do. I'm familiar with the principals of it all, just not experienced in the execution. Ill take my time this spring to build up a sailing skill set around the local lakes before commiting to permanent rigging and longer range trips in the blue.

Still catching up to the modifications that you and others have hammered out over the years. Appreciate the innovation, testing, and documentation that y'all have put forth. Ill post here to update on my conversion process, rigging decisions, and initial sailing experiences. As a "rigger" myself, I hope that I can contribute to return the favor.

Can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... just remember, getting Back is more than half the trip

I've gotten stuck out twice - once, I crossed Lake Champlain only to find the wind dead calm 2 miles out of Burlington VT (coming from port kent NY). I pedaled the rest of the way into Burlington and had a late lunch but could not return the 13 or so miles back to NY before dark would have set in. Wife had to jump in my truck, take the ferry over .. retrieve me and then another ferry back.

The other time, I wasn't watching the tidal changes and got caught wayyy inside with a rising tide pushing me further back. I fought for an hour (the channel was narrow and the wind almost dead on so sailing was no help) , but finally ditched on someone's private property and rang their doorbell looking like a rather limp, wet, sweat-soaked noodle. I asked if it was alright if I left my rig on their shorefront whilst I walked the 7-8 miles back to my launch site. Thankfully (and more so mercifully) they offered me a ride back. I wonder if the leather seats of their Mercedes ever recovered properly from my baisted bumm. :o

So .. good luck and enjoy but don't ever forget getting there is only the First half of the Hobie Adventure

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Passwind,

Thanks for that tip. My first kayak I outfitted with a trolling motor and heavy marine battery, added a good 60lbs and even worse alot of drag in the water. After enjoying a quick trip five miles with wind and tide down an intra coastal canal, I felt the battery getting weak...immediately turned it around and fought wind and current for hours. Had to paddle, and barely made it back. After that trip, the motor was retired.

I suppose relying on wind power can be just as troublesome without enough forward thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... even more so as the sun gets lower - I think the guy powering the wind machine is solar powered

Around here (long Island) with the typical summer winds, they start to drop about 2-3 hrs before sunset and I usually am headed back before then. Once I'm close to launch if I still want to diddle around I'll stay out but usually within a half mile or so from launch. Plenty of times I've done this to catch the sunset on the water, and I do have to pedal back but its worth every second. The Bug attack at sunset once on shore makes me think twice about doing it the next time ..

BTW - I'm the opposite of you - I bought the rig to satiate my sailing bug and am now looking to fish more as something to do once I'm out "there".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PassWind wrote:
... even more so as the sun gets lower - I think the guy powering the wind machine is solar powered

PassWind wrote:
BTW - I'm the opposite of you - I bought the rig to satiate my sailing bug and am now looking to fish more as something to do once I'm out "there".

Seems then, that our winds are also opposites, around here (Texas), the predominant summer wind pattern is a lul in the first few hours of dawn and a build up through the day/evening. In the past (in traditional kayaks), I usually tried to get back in before 2-3pm because the wind would kick up the surf something nasty. Now, Ill be happy to have that extra boost to take me home.

Long Island eh? I hear, there are Bluefin Tuna that roll past your neighborhood every year. :o Now there's something to do! Troll around with a big sardine lure and see what happens. BF too much for a kayak? Yeah, probably.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hookdem wrote:
PassWind wrote:

PassWind wrote:

Seems then, that our winds are also opposites, around here (Texas), the predominant summer wind pattern is a lul in the first few hours of dawn and a build up through the day/evening. In the past (in traditional kayaks), I usually tried to get back in before 2-3pm because the wind would kick up the surf something nasty. Now, Ill be happy to have that extra boost to take me home.

Sounds like your winds are like ours. Afternoons suck as the fog pushes back in. It used to be that i would be paddling out in gray light, then running back in with ugly ugly windchop. Now i fish until the wind comes up, and coast home. The places we fish have expanded dramatically, and we fish more water than in the regular 'yak'.
And yes, sometimes it is just too windy to fish, and so the fishing gear stays in the car.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hookdem wrote:
Now there's something to do! Troll around with a big sardine lure and see what happens

If I could figure out a way to dangle another sardine "carrot" infront of said BF Tuna's nose once he's on the hook ...

... I could have another propulsion source !!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PassWind wrote:
... I could have another propulsion source !!

or a free ride to Canada ay