Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tandem Island and a Wave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've started reading about the TI. I sail a Wave off the beach in Destin. I'm considering adding a TI to my 'fleet' or replacing the Wave. It seems like the TI might better suit my needs sailing in the Gulf, plus offer more opportunities to sail on a nearby lake.

Can anyone offer some pros and cons of the TI vs a Wave? This is a little of apples vs oranges, but I'd appreciate your comments and opinions.

thanx,
bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI - More versatile, much due to the Mirage Drive which allows the TI to serve so very many different functions.

Wave - A little faster than the TI.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wave = a lot faster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill, get the TI regardless. If you want to explore more places, it's the vessel to get you there. It will be easier to transport and set up. Easier to single hand, and just as much fun to share. Plus, it's a fishing MACHINE!

You can sell the wave after you have time to compare them both. I'm guessing you will.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a hobie 16 and a tandem island. The hobie 16 vs tandem island should be pretty similar. I think the biggest difference is in beach launching and landing. The tandem island is hard to lauch in any kind of surf and is harder to drag up the beach. Beach wheels are harder to get under the TI at the beach. The TI is better in alot of ways! It's a better dive/fishing platform, sets up easier, can be launched from a boat ramp, I would rather be on my TI offshore in a storm it wet but safe. My wife bought me my H16 many years ago and has told me she gets the proceeds of its sale! So, in my case, its obvious I have to keep them both. They both have days they're better suited for. Sort of like a golfer uses the clubs in their bag, I'll use the TI on those calm summer days and the 16 when it honking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got both so I'll add my two cents. The TI is great for exploring. I've taken it all over the place and I car top it so no issues with trailers of transportation. That being said I find the wave much more fun to sail. For pure sailing I think the wave is light years ahead. I sail on the tandem island to get places, not so much for pleasure. I'm lucky that I can have both. But if I had to choose one it would be the TI. You just can't beat the versatility. If I was only going to launch if from the beach in front of my house and pleasure sail then I'd do the wave. But if you want to explore different bodies of water then I'd get the TI.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the TI in big air. Being able to furl is a godsend.

In no wind, you are still good to go, w the mirage drives.

And plenty of storage.

You won't go as fast, but with the wet ride, you'll enjoy it just as much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in Destin. Let me know if you may get rid of that wave. I got A T.I. this past March. I love it but wish is was a little faster on the sailing side. But over all very happy and excited about my purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To you Destin guys- 7 of us from Texas (4 islands) are driving up to sail/fish offshore Destin on June 7the & 8th. Any sugestion on best launch sites? Anyone want to join us?

Vetgam

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis