Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Only a week or so after the Port Stephens trip, I "got back on the horse"

Well, I guess I got the bug (as if I didn't already have it) and have been out sailing each of the last three days. Tomorrow is a rest day, but then I think I will be on the water every day until Joseph, my visitor from Sydney, leaves on Saturday. He has a TI, and is determined to get maximum fun out of it during his holidays, so I reluctantly (yeah right) offered to join him.

For practice (!!) I had a five hour sail alone on Saturday, where I finally confirmed that those bastard dolphins enjoy surfacing behind me, but I caught one who accidentally broke the pod rules
My new (well secondhand actually) Railblaza 600 camera boom did a great job.
On Sunday, I caught up with Joseph, and we swapped info on various mods. He has done a beaut job making a mount for his Suzuki 2.5hp four stroke, which he fitted as a fail-safe for offshore use.It only weighs 13kg, and sounded nice and "civilised" when he warmed it up prior to our trip.
So we went out for a whole day, including his daughter and her boyfriend for part of the day.
Today Joseph wanted to make his first trip outside, and the wind and swell were in a pretty welcoming
state, although the sun was hiding most of the time. We were joined by a big pod of dolphins who stayed with us for a while. His confidence level took a big climb, knowing I was "shadowing him", and only now and then did we cop a little bit of spray :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great little story there Tony! 8)
I reckon you've got the 'bug' worse than any of us! :wink:
I like the pics from the new camera mount. Shame you didn't have it at Port Stephens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boom arrived three days too late, which was a shame. Oh well, I am set up for next time, and will also make up a new mount like your portable one, for my little Audiosonic cam as well.

One thing though, am I the only one who finds my own video footage utterly mind-numbingly BORING? I captured 5 hours of footage since Saturday and it sends me to sleep :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi. I would like to ask you about the cover of your fish finder. Can you post some pictures? I get a lot of water on my fishfinder. I see that it is a plastic box but can you see the screen clearly? Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No problem! It is just a Tupperware clone container from my local supermarket. The front is completely open, so visibility of the screen is unaffected. A short piece of light bungee holds the lid down (and retains rigidity of the otherwise floppy box) while big drain holes in the bottom get any water out of there quickly.

I know it looks a bit dopey, but the over large size enables easy removal for travel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for your reply. It looks great. It does the trick. I will make one. I am afraid my Garmin will not withstand so much saltwater. Although they say it is waterproof I still cannot believe them. hehe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wish I could get out on the water as much as you do Tony. Hope you're keep'n that foot of yours as waterproof as your fishfinder !

I think that the best advice I've ever received in putting together a video is to to change clips or camera position every 3 to 6 seconds. Some can go longer but only the best ones. My very first video was 2 minutes of boredom, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur81BkdsVeE and the only reason I didn't go to sleep was because I knew that at the 1 minute 25 seconds mark I nearly went over.
Honestly, like with anything, it all comes down to practise and you'll find that they will get better and better as you pick up tricks. There are heaps of video tutorials and techniques on YouTube.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.