Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:11 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 am
Posts: 8
Hello all. New TI member here in the Philippines. Just had my inaugural sail yesterday and I must say I am VERY impressed with the TI. A quick question for all you experienced TI experts. I am having a boat house built on our beach and I am thinking of having a ramp leading to the storage area where I will wheel the TI. Once inside I was thinking of having "seat belt" like straps suspended from the rafters where I can simply lift the hull into the strap cradle at the bow and stern (relieving pressure off the wheels just off the floor, hull would be right side up and still fully rigged except fir the mast). Is this a good storage option? Keep in mind this is a tropical environment.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:38 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:58 am
Posts: 1244
Location: Forster, NSW, Australia
Welcome aboard Dave!

Firstly, I should mention that my TI has sat on its trailer since I got it in June 2012 (apart from 250-270 outings). I see no visible hull distortion, with it sitting on two Hobie cradles 67" apart, plus a roller front and back (abouit midway between cradle and end of hull).

In your situation, I would think that as a minimum, you should incorporate Hobie cradles into your lifting slings (presumably by attaching each cradle to a "spreader bar" extending a little outside the cradle).

I would then be a bit concerned about the large overhang at each end, and it might be wise to add simple suspension slings in a bit from bow and stern which you tighten once you have lifted the TI into position (these lines would not be used for the actual lifting of course). This would hopefully prevent "sailor's droop" :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:26 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm
Posts: 108
Location: South Australia
That sounds like an enviable situation and you are making us jealous.
I hope that you have plenty of opportunities to enjoy your new craft.

Tony's advice is sound.
I have to lift my TI to the ceiling to park the car underneath.
It sits right side up on the two runners covered in carpet as below.
In addition, the frame has a nylon support located under the mast stay.
The electric winch is connected through the mirage drive hole, to the frame.
The TI has been supported that way for a couple of years in Australian heat.
So I would say Tony's suggestions will see you right.

Image


Lets see a photo of that enviable setup.

Cheers, Brian in South Australia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 am
Posts: 8
Thanks for the great advice gents.

When I can work out how to add an image I can show you the location (just to make you even more jealous). :D

My other thought was to have two rails running lengthways along the hull on a slight angel and slip the hull up on them (using the anti friction skid material. As there will be nothing else going into the shed it doesn't have to be raised to the ceiling.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:26 pm
Posts: 46
Mabuhay Oztravels!

this is cool - another TI sailor in the Philippines! Thought I am the only one on a TI in this country and nice to know the local fleet is slowly expanding...

I sail and fish my TI almost every weekend in Subic Bay which is quite protected and a great spot to have fun on the Hobie...

Where are you based?

Peace
Serbi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:09 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 am
Posts: 8
Hi Serbi

I live on Panglao Island off Bohol. I haven't travelled to Subic as yet but it's on my list. We are looking forward to some camping trips to some of the nearer islands here and circumnavigating Bohol once I have more experience in the craft. I bought the TI form an Italian in Boracay who had two for sale.


We are in the midst of building a new house so a great excuse to set up the boat storage correctly. If you are ever in Bohol we can head out for a sail.

Cheers

D


serbi wrote:
Mabuhay Oztravels!

this is cool - another TI sailor in the Philippines! Thought I am the only one on a TI in this country and nice to know the local fleet is slowly expanding...

I sail and fish my TI almost every weekend in Subic Bay which is quite protected and a great spot to have fun on the Hobie...

Where are you based?

Peace
Serbi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:59 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 am
Posts: 8
Pics as promised. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93059476@N08/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:10 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm
Posts: 108
Location: South Australia
David, please move a couple of those posts over a little.
I would hate for you to not have enough room when all the Hobie owners come to visit. :)

I hope you don't get any rising seas or storms, being that close to the water.
But what a life.

Cheers, Brian

_________________
Cheers, Brian in South Australia
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:26 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 am
Posts: 8
:D Brian. Yes the builder got a tad excited about the position of the boat house. I wanted it closer to the cliff. Hopefully the HUGE foundation he put under the sand with withstand some of the worse storms and the boat shed itself will be quite high.

Other Hobie owners will be welcome but the beer fridge inside will be locked :o

Cheers

David

ChangeMan wrote:
David, please move a couple of those posts over a little.
I would hate for you to not have enough room when all the Hobie owners come to visit. :)

I hope you don't get any rising seas or storms, being that close to the water.
But what a life.

Cheers, Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:15 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm
Posts: 108
Location: South Australia
Duly noted David.
I will bring some good Australian beer and wine.

I notice they have stretched TIs at Alona Beach, as below.

Image

Cheers, Brian in South Australia


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:58 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:26 pm
Posts: 46
Hi David,

Alona beach is a beautyfull place and surely a great playground for your TI!

If you guys are ever around Subic, pm me.

Peace
Serbi

P.S. When going offshore make sure you check the weather forecast...remember a scary experience a few years back when we were diving Balicasag island. Our Banca left Alona beach in the morning in very calm conditions and within two hours the weather changed without any warning. All of a sudden we had 20-30 knots winds and huge windswells...on the way back we had to go all the way around Panglao and land on Momo beach which was a bit protected from the wind and swells...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 4:13 pm
Posts: 189
Location: oki - jp
congrats and beautiful pics.

i live in okinawa a few nautical miles north east of you guys in PI :D but i can honestly say the TI doesn't do so good in typhoons so i strongly recommend having a secure spot to be able to take it when you find out 3 days in advance that a 150+ storm is approaching. the rising storm surges and debris that gets thrown into it is what actually damages it.

not sure how much your tides rise and fall there but i would make a mental note of how high your absolutely highest normal tides come and then add about 1-2 meters above that and if the boat will be underwater than you would likely want to move it during anything 80 kts+ or MPH or whatever.

i left mine in a a very similar look beach front spot my TI's first year here and thought it would be safe. the spot i had it was about 1.3 meters above the highest tide level. the storm was about 120 kts which wasn't even super storm level winds right, well the TI was damaged pretty good (was able to fix it since with spare parts and some manual DIY's). the water level rose here about 6-8 feet higher than the highest tide and the TI was about 80% buried in the sand and all three trees that it was tied to were completely gone. the TI had a huge tree laying over one side which was keeping it from going out into the ocean i guess, plus there was a different color rope and someone else's knots on it when i found it... guess god is a hobie fan too :D

good luck and just food for thought if you have big tides and get a typhoon or two during the summers. take care and post up some more awesome pics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:09 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 am
Posts: 8
Thanks for the heads up Rusty. The island I am on (Panglao) is protected from the worst of the typhoons due to its protection from Bohol proper and Cebu. Saying that though I have a "plan" B moving the tri up to my house which is directly above the beach on the cliff. The boat house will be about 2 meters above the highest high but I will certainly keep an eye on the tides for the first several months.

Cheers

David
rusty_sojah wrote:
congrats and beautiful pics.

i live in okinawa a few nautical miles north east of you guys in PI :D but i can honestly say the TI doesn't do so good in typhoons so i strongly recommend having a secure spot to be able to take it when you find out 3 days in advance that a 150+ storm is approaching. the rising storm surges and debris that gets thrown into it is what actually damages it.

not sure how much your tides rise and fall there but i would make a mental note of how high your absolutely highest normal tides come and then add about 1-2 meters above that and if the boat will be underwater than you would likely want to move it during anything 80 kts+ or MPH or whatever.

i left mine in a a very similar look beach front spot my TI's first year here and thought it would be safe. the spot i had it was about 1.3 meters above the highest tide level. the storm was about 120 kts which wasn't even super storm level winds right, well the TI was damaged pretty good (was able to fix it since with spare parts and some manual DIY's). the water level rose here about 6-8 feet higher than the highest tide and the TI was about 80% buried in the sand and all three trees that it was tied to were completely gone. the TI had a huge tree laying over one side which was keeping it from going out into the ocean i guess, plus there was a different color rope and someone else's knots on it when i found it... guess god is a hobie fan too :D

good luck and just food for thought if you have big tides and get a typhoon or two during the summers. take care and post up some more awesome pics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 am
Posts: 8
Hi Serbi. The winds can certainly build quickly here. Luckily I have a number of resorts close by that I can shelter at. Irrespective I will take your advice and keep a eye on the forecast.

Cheers

David

serbi wrote:
Hi David,

Alona beach is a beautyfull place and surely a great playground for your TI!

If you guys are ever around Subic, pm me.

Peace
Serbi

P.S. When going offshore make sure you check the weather forecast...remember a scary experience a few years back when we were diving Balicasag island. Our Banca left Alona beach in the morning in very calm conditions and within two hours the weather changed without any warning. All of a sudden we had 20-30 knots winds and huge windswells...on the way back we had to go all the way around Panglao and land on Momo beach which was a bit protected from the wind and swells...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 am
Posts: 8
Boat house nearly finished....... :o

Updated pics (still sorting out the storage)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/119643407@N03/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group