Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Thanks Chris, I was attempting to downplay my own skills, and have enjoyed Stringy's work

I've seen your website Tony - you're too modest. One thing this expedition won't be lacking is photography skills. BTW, my signature photo was taken by Stringy, many moons ago.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And still one of the best AI shots ever taken. Wasn't there another taken on a broad reach ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bugger! Trip's off! Severe thunder and hailstorm came out of nowhere, rain predicted on both travel days, with a 2 metre swell and 16-20 knots on the nose on the return journey. We are not silly.... and even the alternative inshore route is off as sailing and camping in the rain just ain't enough fun (to misquote my Little Feat friends)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know the conditions over there. But, be careful about cancelling. On our recent trip to Cape Romano, we had a group of 20 going until the weather forecast looked awful--that cut our group to 12. All 12 went, and we had 5-6 hrs rain, thunderstorms, and sky lightshows on Saturday evening. Fortunately, we had 3 tarps, including a relatively large gazebo which most could crowd under. Of course, everyone had rain gear--we are AI/TI/kayakers. All in all, everyone had a great time and were happy they did the trip.

So, unless you can reschedule quickly, I would try to do it. Is it 100% rain and 18 knot winds? Nobody minds spending a day under a tarp telling tales.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the encouragement Keith. However, there are more storms coming, so we have pulled the pin, after having another hard look at it following your post.

Outside was definitely out of the question, with solid wave action on top of a swell exceeding 2 metres, directly to windward, in rain. Around here, southerlies are very unpredictable, and not to be taken lightly, especially as the area we would be in had no land masses north of Antarctica to interrupt swells...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to hear that. I'm trying to put together another picture story to give you fellows something to makeup for your disappointment (I hope you can reschedule soon!)

I hate when I have to cancel.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We hear you Keith. The weather was horrendous for about 6 or so hours. The lightning was the major concern and the predictions are still saying that there is more to come. To go out in those conditions would have been foolhardy and I'm sure would have led to a newspaper story the next day. However, the afternoon was glorious. Sun came out and we were kicking ourselves. But the trouble is that, like any remote island, if you're out there and the weather turns sour, there is no other way to get back. And with us only having a 3 day window, we had to make sure the weather was semi favourable for the return leg.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guess where we were headed? :roll:
The weather bureau was kind enough to highlight our destination ...about the middle of the warning area!
I was very disappointed that this trip was cancelled but as Slaughter said it would have been reckless. Another failed attempt at Broughton brings my tally to 6, with 3 wins.
I'd spent all of the previous day packing (I was taking gear for two others) and had it all in the car ready to go for early Friday morning. Normally Plan B would have kicked in but with this being a popular long weekend (bookings necessary) and with more storms forecast, staying home was, sadly, the best option.
I'm keen to try again though!