Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Cart Selection
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just put in an order for my first TI and I am looking at carts for it. I was wondering if the forum could help me make an informed purchase…

Most of our launching sites will be from a parking lot and then out over a sand beach (some long and some short distances).

My first inclination is the Trax 2-30…

I searched the forum and noticed that some folks had an issue with the wheels coming off. Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved?

I also failed to find a definitive post in the forum confirming that you could stow the Trax 2-30 in the rear scuppers and still have room to sit in the seat without wheels in the way... Sorry if this one has been asked and answered already but it would be great not have to run the cart back up to the car.

If the Trax 2-30 doesn’t fit does the regular Trax 2?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: TI Cart Selection
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joe:
We also have a TI and beach launch 90% of the time. We have the regular trax 2 cart, but I replaced the tires with the HD foam filled tires ( the grey air filled tires just sit in the garage 90% of the time)
I think if I had the trax 2-30 cart I would use it more. With the smaller trax 2 air filled tires it's still a (censored) to pull the TI thru soft sand, actually very little difference from the hard HD foam wheels (that's why I only use the HD tires and the other ones just sit in the garage.
Though I don't have the trax 2-30 wheels, I can imagine they would be just what the doctor ordered on a TI.
I'm pretty sure the trax 2-30 wheels use the same basic scupper cart, so there should be no reason you can't store th cart upside down in the rear scupper holes. The bigger wheels are off to the sides out of the way. I stuff an extra PFD under the cart so the posts don't protrude under the boat. The special TI cradle if in the way can be easily slid off and lashed to the rear deck if need be.
Even with a trax 2-30 cart I would likely remove the AMA's and carry them separate down to the shore, as the sugar soft sand we have is so soft and deep it's pretty near impossible trekking the 1/4 to 1/2 mile we have to walk across the beach at north lido or siesta key beaches with a loaded TI, we always break it down and make a couple trips to the water when crossing soft sand.
Bob

EDIT:
Wheeleez (the maker of the wheels) has been using the same clip system for the wheels for many years, and they won't likely change it anytime soon, you do need to be a little careful with them and inspect them regularly. pretty much all the carts out there (not just Hobies carts) using the wheeleez wheels use exactly the same locking system.
Bob

Post subject: Re: TI Cart Selection
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you!!! This is extremely helpful!