Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking of getting a TI
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I currently have a Revolution 13' and I love the kayak, used it a ton last year. I have a daughter who just turned 10 and loves to go fishing with me. I stuck her on the back of the revolution last year and she would be good for about an hour, than she would complain about comfort. Before I make the huge purchase, I have a few question that maybe you guys can help me with.

1. I live about 100 yards from a boat launch, I currently use the cart and walk my revolution over, drop it in the water, load the cart on the back and take off. No problem. If I get the TI, can I leave the sail and amas at home and walk the TI 100 yards by myself? Also, fishing with the TI by myself shouldn't be an issue?

2. Can I wheel the TI on the trailer down to the boat launch, or should I get the grey wheeled cart (big sand tires)?

3. Which trailer do you guys use? The dealer has the hobie trailex trailer, for 1700. I don't mind the price, I'm just wondering if there are better options?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mrasmussen wrote:
I currently have a Revolution 13' and I love the kayak, used it a ton last year. I have a daughter who just turned 10 and loves to go fishing with me. I stuck her on the back of the revolution last year and she would be good for about an hour, than she would complain about comfort. Before I make the huge purchase, I have a few question that maybe you guys can help me with.

1. I live about 100 yards from a boat launch, I currently use the cart and walk my revolution over, drop it in the water, load the cart on the back and take off. No problem. If I get the TI, can I leave the sail and amas at home and walk the TI 100 yards by myself? Also, fishing with the TI by myself shouldn't be an issue?

2. Can I wheel the TI on the trailer down to the boat launch, or should I get the grey wheeled cart (big sand tires)?

3. Which trailer do you guys use? The dealer has the hobie trailex trailer, for 1700. I don't mind the price, I'm just wondering if there are better options?

1. If you use the big cart they introduced for the TI, I don't see why you couldn't walk the completely rigged TI 100 yards. No need to leave the sail and amas behind.
2. I am a bit confused here. My TI lives on its trailer snd I normally launch at the local boat ramp, although there are some places where I can back the trailer right to the water's edge and slide it off. Retrieving requires a bit of muscle to lift the bow up onto the rear roller.
3. Can't help you there unless you are located in Australia, where I can point you at seversl good alternatives. (BTW adding your location to your profile can help people local to you)

Congratulations though, you won't regret your TI!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On number 2 I was talking about instead of using the cart, I could walk with the car trailer, use the trailer as a cart. Not trying to save money, just wondering it that would actually be easier because of the larger wheels?

How about handling the kayak by myself? I go out alone a bunch, is that just as easy? How about if there isn't any wind?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Another downside of getting the TI is I don't have the 6k or the boat as well as almost 2k for the trailer. I have a sedan and I wouldn't want to attempt to load the TI on my car.

So, I was approved for a personal load, 200 a month for 5 years, for 10k. I would immediately pay back any unused portion. I can afford the 200 a month, it is just a commitment over the course of the next few years.

The reason I am thinking of getting the TI is I have a Revolution and I tried to get my daughter on it last year. She would last for 30 minutes before being uncomfortable. With the TI, I could bring her plus some of her friends. She's 10 so it would be good bonding time with her and I. As they get older, there is less and less they like to do with the old man....

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now I understand about using the trailer... If the "dolly wheel" is a good size eg not one of those tiny ones), and the journey is flat, I daresay you could push your trailer with TI 100 yards or so. However, if you are using a ramp to launch, I do not believe you would be safely able to either roll the trailer down, or pull it back up the ramp.

There are some alternatives you could consider, if you do not plan to launch anywhere else. If you got the big Hobie cart, you could then add a third wheel attached at the front drivewell (there have been clever examples posted here a while back, you should find them with a search). But again, this would only be practical for beach launches.

If you search around, you can also find cheaper altrnatives to the Hobie Trailer, such as Harbor Freight or even buying a second hand box trailer or jet-ski trailer cheap, and modifying it.

I tend to think you do need a trailer though, so you can widen the area you can visit to enjoy your TI.
In my case 90% of trips are to the same local spot, but the other 10% add heaps to the memories :)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally, launching from the same site, even 50% of the time, would get a bit boring after a year or so. I'm slightly embarrassed to say I live 5 min from a very good launch site into Biscayne Bay off Miami, but I seldom launch there. We just returned 400 mi from Cedar Key where we sailed several days. We launch in the Everglades (2 sites) and Cape Romano area, and occasionally go down to the Keys. This summer, we are planning to take our AIs 2100 mi to northern New Mexico where we will do a lot of different lakes. We even intend to get all the way to Washington State and will sail several places in the Rockies.

In sailing, variety is the spice of life. The AI/TI are easy to trailer and launch which adds to their versatility.

You might consider an AI with tramps or hakas (self-built) where your daughter could ride until she was old enough to pilot the boat--then you could switch places. You could probably get an AI w/ trailer for the price of a TI. I love my new Hobie trailer--makes life very easy. Purchased it from Austin Canoe & Kayak, and wrote it up here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=435 The Hobie Tandem trailer is $1340, the AI trailer is $1065. You could use this trailer as a cart on a flat surface, but as Tony says, it would be difficult hauling it up a ramp.

Final point: the TI is certainly a nice boat to sail and useful for going out with family members, but it is a load to haul out of the water--base weight about 190# vs 115# for the AI. By the time you get gear on the boat, the TI becomes serious weight.

Just some thoughts to help you make a decision.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, I think you just exposed me for what I am, a sailing slut! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whenever I launch my TI and unfurl the sail (on average twice a week all year), I enter my little world where making progress across the water and keeping the telltales behaving become primary, while the scenery passing by becomes secondary!

Sad I know... However, in my (weak) defence, I should add that from my launch ramp, I can sail to starboard into the ocean or to port towards the 74km2 lake, with untold variations due to many islands and oyster farms. Into this mix I add a tremendous tidal variation (up to 9 knots in either direction) and different weather, so my secondary interest never seems quite the same.

But when I take my TI further afield, the change of scenery is much appreciated. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Before I pull the trigger, just some clarification. Can I handle this boat by myself? Meaning, can I drive the boat to a launch site, place the wheeled cart under the boat, walk the boat over to the water, get in and launch the boat?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably yes, but how easy or hard will depend on the surface you are rolling over and the cart you use. On a flat solid surface with the foam-filled rubber tires it actually a little easier than with the AI. On a wide beach of thick soft sand you would want the biggest, thickest tires you can get and still might make 2 or more trips or accept a hand to pull it.

Well worth the versatility if you want to sail/paddle/pedal, at times with another (or two) and make it back in virtually any change in conditions.

Also, don't forget to remove the cart before sailing off! It's not like any of us have forgotten to remove the cart our self's. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
Also, don't forget to remove the cart before sailing off! It's not like any of us have forgotten to remove the cart our self's. :lol:
Too funny! You'll do stuff like that at least once.

mrasmussen, the downhill part will be easy. Getting the wheels back in, hauling it out and back up will be the real challenge.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I were man-hauling this boat any distance, I might consider knocking up a 3 or 4 wheel type dolly cart. I think this might remove any last problematic considerations for you.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So do any of you go out alone? The location next to my house has a very minor incline to launch, that won't be true of everyplace I go obviously.

Sounds like I should get the best cart available, the one with the inflatable grey tires? Can you drop that cart on the kayak without it taking up one of the seats? Currently I wheel my revolution to the launch, and then drop the cart I have into the scupper holes and away I go. Can I do that with the grey wheeled large cart?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I take my TI out alone all the time, but I launch from a trailer and don't have to man-haul the boat any distance.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So you drop the boat, tie it up, park the truck/car and then go back to the boat? Same process in reverse getting the boat out>?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I launch my TI also from a boat ramp. I setup the TI on the trailer and slowly slide it off and onto my scupper cart (with rubber foam-filled tires). I then roll to and down the ramp and remove the cart, disassemble and place in the front hatch (minor mod) and sail/pedal away. This way I don't get the trailer wet in the salt water.

On landing, I tie-up to the dock, or if I have someone with me, have them hold the TI near the ramp (on a 1-3' sand bar). I back the trailer down and into the water and float the TI on. Then it's up to the wash station to wash TI, gear & trailer.