Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heading Ocean-side
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys,

I'm an inland AI owner soon to head to a Georgia barrier island (Jekyll Island: http://goo.gl/tUDXBs) for a week. I've been kayaking just along shore before, but this will be the first time sailing. I've been vacationing there for practically my whole life, and I'm somewhat familiar with local currents, enough to know that it mainly gets dangerous near the south end of the island near St. Andrews Sound. My plan is to either attempt a beach launch between low- and high-tide when the surf is more calm, or start out on the inland side of the island where the water is more calm (but also more sheltered from wind).

Any advice to a guy who doesn't have experience with Hobie Islands on the ocean? I'm not planning on getting too far from shore. Just want to take advantage of some decent wind while I can! Maybe do a little fishing as well.

In the future, my bigger plan is to sail out to Cumberland Island (just south of Jekyll Island), starting from the mainland. It's an abandoned island with wild horses, beautiful dunes, and crumbling remains of aristocracy from the '20's when all nearby islands were privately owned by the likes of Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, and J.P. Morgan. Some people make the trip on kayak, but Hobie Islands were made for this sort of thing.

Post subject: Re: Heading Ocean-side
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As with any adventure, it's all about safety and having a plan B if things go wrong.

It's always hard to find the line between being overly cautious and under prepared and sometimes only the adventure itself reveals to us what is necessary to have a good time and not end up psychically or physically scarred.

The bottom line ? Go slow, apply common sense and know your limits enough to where you can return to your home that night safe and sound without any pucker factor 10 encounters that will cause bad dreams.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Start out small and build as your skills and confidence builds. Nothing wrong with an hours outing on the more sheltered wind side to start, longer if everything is going well. But back to shore if something doesn't feel quite right. None of us hopped in for a 12 hour sail around an island as our first outing, but once the confidence in the boat grows and you get a feel for it, almost anything is possible.

On safety, start collecting the equipment to help you rescue your self and others, and to quickly fix any problems you may encounter. Most important, is to try to avoid getting into trouble in the first place by learning the boat (any your) limitations and both extending them and hardening them. Also watch forecasts and conditions and learn to when to stay out, or at least go around problems by timing tides, shore breaks and locations.

Finally build your skills and practice them. Not too much good carrying safety equipment if you don't know how to use it. On a quiet part of a trip, raise the rudder and practice steering with your paddle. Or tack without using your Mirage drive. Even when playing off a beach with others (in warm conditions) flip your boat and practice righting it.

Don't try all of this your first trip, but build on it and have fun!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are on the right track Brian by firstly asking the question. The ocean is a completely different animal to lake or river sailing / kayaking.
With any of these adventures, especially solo, it’s a personal confidence in your own ability. Your over confidence can outshine your ability and you get into trouble. Then again, you can lack confidence and spend the rest of your days playing cards and pottering around in the garden. On my last big solo trip, due to the rapid change in weather conditions, I chickened out. Who knows, some of you blokes may have given it a crack and I even sit back now thinking ‘were the conditions really that bad that warranted me pulling the pin after a year of planning’. But in those weather conditions, I didn’t feel at all comfortable. I’m still here to write about it though, rather than possibly being another statistic. And in those waters, there are plenty of statistics. Next year, a bit wiser and more prepared, I’m giving it another shot.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=46696&hilit=tasmania

Best of luck with it mate. It’s good to know though that all the expert knowledge you need is right here on this forum.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm not too worried at this point; where I'm going, the water is fairly tame and I'll be close to shore. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. One take-away I've gotten from this forum is the importance of quickly washing off salt water after going out (may be obvious to some, but I'm a TN boy).

At any rate, I'll give some of the local vacationers something to watch. Not many people sail along the coastline of this island. Really, not many people visit the island in the first place (which is why we like it!).