Looking to add a Lowrance Elite 4 Gold to the TI. I have heard several things regarding this system that I want to hear about before purchasing:
1. Is the mapping features with the Gold Navionics bundle detailed? I live in the tampa bay area
2. Is the system very waterproof so it doesnt crap out when it gets soaked?
3. IS the DSI feature worth it? I heard no if the sounder is epoxied in the TI hull. Which is what I want.
4. Transducer and system mounting recommendations.
5. Is the fish finder accurate and well with the transducer in the hull?
6. What type of battery and life?
7. Any issues seeing the display in sunny conditions? Is the BW version inferior or better for visibility over the color?
8. Any photos and recommendations appreciated.
My take, Mike, I only have the Navionics Silver card, but I have had it clearly explained to me just how much better the Ggold one is.
1, I could just about guarantee that you will have all the detail you desire.
2. Realistically, these units were designed to sit behind the windscreen on a powerboat, and take a terrible pounding with spray and even green water on an Island. I solved this problem two ways..(a) covering the card slot with gaffer tape, and (b) put the unit in a plastic canister with a cut-out front and drainholes as below
3 & 5. Epoxy is the wrong product. Many people have great success either using goop, or making a "wet" mount by creating a dam out of closed cell foam and suspending the transducer in water inside the hull. The DSI will function just fine if there are no bubbles between the transducer and hull. You will not get accurate temperature readings while the transducer is inside the hull of course. On my TI, I chose to use the Lowrance transducer kayak scupper mount part #72020050, which tucks the transducer up into the "crease" under the hull behind the back seat. This puts the transducer directly into the water, so everything works 100%.
4. I used Fishfinder Mount II part # 72023021. The III mount looks like a great idea, but one review I read had the unit fall off it, so I hesitate recommending this one. The mount I is too small.
6. The easiest way to set up the power for the unit is to buy the Hobie Fishfinder Installation kit II part # 72020039. This includes everything you need to get it up and running.
7. Visibility in bright sunlight is not so great, although you can turn up brightness which helps a little. I don't have any experience with the B&W version, so can't comment on that.
Hope this helps
2012 Tandem Island "SIC EM"www.scenefromabove.com.au