Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS/SOUNDER FOR TI
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking to add a Lowrance Elite 4 Gold to the TI. I have heard several things regarding this system that I want to hear about before purchasing:
1. Is the mapping features with the Gold Navionics bundle detailed? I live in the tampa bay area
2. Is the system very waterproof so it doesnt crap out when it gets soaked?
3. IS the DSI feature worth it? I heard no if the sounder is epoxied in the TI hull. Which is what I want.
4. Transducer and system mounting recommendations.
5. Is the fish finder accurate and well with the transducer in the hull?
6. What type of battery and life?
7. Any issues seeing the display in sunny conditions? Is the BW version inferior or better for visibility over the color?
8. Any photos and recommendations appreciated.
thanks

Post subject: Re: GPS/SOUNDER FOR TI
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MikeSail wrote:
Looking to add a Lowrance Elite 4 Gold to the TI. I have heard several things regarding this system that I want to hear about before purchasing:
1. Is the mapping features with the Gold Navionics bundle detailed? I live in the tampa bay area
2. Is the system very waterproof so it doesnt crap out when it gets soaked?
3. IS the DSI feature worth it? I heard no if the sounder is epoxied in the TI hull. Which is what I want.
4. Transducer and system mounting recommendations.
5. Is the fish finder accurate and well with the transducer in the hull?
6. What type of battery and life?
7. Any issues seeing the display in sunny conditions? Is the BW version inferior or better for visibility over the color?
8. Any photos and recommendations appreciated.
thanks

My take, Mike, I only have the Navionics Silver card, but I have had it clearly explained to me just how much better the Ggold one is.
1, I could just about guarantee that you will have all the detail you desire.
2. Realistically, these units were designed to sit behind the windscreen on a powerboat, and take a terrible pounding with spray and even green water on an Island. I solved this problem two ways..(a) covering the card slot with gaffer tape, and (b) put the unit in a plastic canister with a cut-out front and drainholes as below
3 & 5. Epoxy is the wrong product. Many people have great success either using goop, or making a "wet" mount by creating a dam out of closed cell foam and suspending the transducer in water inside the hull. The DSI will function just fine if there are no bubbles between the transducer and hull. You will not get accurate temperature readings while the transducer is inside the hull of course. On my TI, I chose to use the Lowrance transducer kayak scupper mount part #72020050, which tucks the transducer up into the "crease" under the hull behind the back seat. This puts the transducer directly into the water, so everything works 100%.
4. I used Fishfinder Mount II part # 72023021. The III mount looks like a great idea, but one review I read had the unit fall off it, so I hesitate recommending this one. The mount I is too small.
6. The easiest way to set up the power for the unit is to buy the Hobie Fishfinder Installation kit II part # 72020039. This includes everything you need to get it up and running.
7. Visibility in bright sunlight is not so great, although you can turn up brightness which helps a little. I don't have any experience with the B&W version, so can't comment on that.
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the Lowrance 5 HDI device. For Europe, the Navionics Gold is detailed enough for my sailing and fishing purposes. On the monitor I usually look at the sea map and the DSI image; I only rarely use the fishfinder option. The system is waterproof, I have never heard about complaints from my kayak fishing friends here in Germany.

The transducer I gooped in the front hull. Under usual conditions it works very well. On solo rides I prefer the rear seat, and if we jump over higher waves (>70 cm), the front hull is in the air for a moment resulting in no-echo stripes on the screen.

Since I used the Railblaza system for the aka's, I also mounted the echo system on a Railblaza starport.

Currently I use a 12 V lead battery, which works for >6h under standard conditions. Probably I will replace it by a lithium battery for longer trips.

Regards
henry

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good info! Do you get better resolution with the Elite 5 over the 4? I am concerned that the Elite 5 may be too large so I was focused on the Elite 4. However, I wonder if the smaller screen of the 4 makes it more difficult to see and operate? I see you have yours on the starboard side in front of the rear seat. Does it get in the way of you trimming or furling the sail?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Elite 4 DSI on my Outback. My impression is that the solution is similar, if not identical, but I do like the larger screen of the Elite 5. I have installed it at the rear of the front seat just right beside my feet. And it is really fine to have it there; you can see all necessary details sitting on the rear seat. If you will go for the smaller Elite 4 screen you should mount it closer to your seat. For operating I have to crawl a bit to the front, but this no problem given the stability of the TI.
If you take care a bit, there will be no problems with operating the sail. Sometimes my co-pilot's back pushes the device a bit. I plan to solve this with an adjustable Railblaza extender.
Here is another cell phone image taken last weekend providing you a look from my sitting position on the Elite 5 in action...

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Baltic,

Great info! I too sit on the rear seat and when I strapped my handheld GPS or VHF around the bar behind the front seat (I am currently using those flexible rubber 'things' that have a wire in them) the front passenger sometimes pushes on them. I am considering the Railblaza mounts to mount the Elite 4 or 5 (probably the Elite 4 since it is a few hundred $$ cheaper) and a handheld VHF radio. I want to mount the starports on the bar behind the front seat. I am thinking to mount all on the left side to avoid interference with the mainsheet and furling lines.

NOTE: I'm not sure if I should use two separate railmounts: one for the GPS/Sounder and another for the VHF....or....use one RailMount and then use a TracPort which converts one starport into three. What is the recommendations from the crowd???

Assuming I go with the TracPort, I am assuming I need One RailMount 32-41 Combo (Black), Part number 03-4013-11 and One TracPort Dash 350, Part number 03-4103-11.

**I would like to get an arm that can go on one the left starport opening that can be swiveled to the side so it does not interfere with the front passenger, and that can be moved so the front passenger can use the GPS/Sounder as well. I also need a 'mount' for the Elite 4. Anyone know what the part numbers for these two items in Black are???

**Would also need something that could secure a handheld device that can be inserted in a starport. Any recommendations or part numbers for this?

Thanks!!!!!

Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also thought about placing the railmounts on the bar. The only problem is that they do not fit the bar. Look on the aka's and look on the bar, you will see the difference. All modifications of the mounts I have sawn (longer screws, DIY mounts etc.) were not so nice; therefore I've decided to drill another hole for an extra starport.
Anyway, if you will go for the railmount, take care on the 32-41 mm one. The old version fits only 32 mm bars, and it has the same article number like the newer, 32-4 mm mount! I have asked my favourite internet dealer twice to ensure himelf he sells the newer version, and the second time he really looked on the package and recognized he only had the older version on stock.
Yes, I think TracPort will be a good thing to place more items on one starport. As soon as I have the money for an actioncam, the TracPort will be put on my wish list.
For the Elite 5 the 3-axis platform (02-4025-11) is perfect; for the Elite 4 also other, smaller platfroms may be suitbale.
Regards
henry

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Henry,

Thanks! You saved me. I thought the rail mount would fit on the bar behind the front seat...but I wondered if there was enough clearance/space between the bar and the plastic...but I guess not. Also, I did notice the bar is not as cylindrical in shape as the aka arm.

I guess I will go with a single starport mount directly to the TI plastic like you have done. I will look and take some measurements before I buy. I guess Yak gear is the dealer in the US.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually it would be better to mount it on the bar; this location may better prevent the device from being pushed by the co-sailor's back. Perhaps you find an option to do so.
For leading the cables through the hull I can recommend the Scanstrut system. The diameter depends on the Elite device you will choose. Should the prepared rubber gaskets not fit, you will find a raw gasket in the package, where you can drill in all holes you need for the cables.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also looking at RAM mounts. What is better (more secure) RAM or Railblaza?? I was figuring out the cost for a Railblaza system to hold the Elite gps/sounder, handheld VHF, and cell phone. I calculated: one Railblaza rail mount ($26), Tracport Dash 350 ($65), Platform Boom 150 for the gps/sounder ($50), 3 axis platform mount ($30), two mobile device holders ($35 each).....for a total cost of around $241.

Good info for the cable for the sounder. More $$$ I need to calculate in....along with the cost of the gps/sounder and battery/transducer mounting kit from Hobie. I'm guessing overall it is going to be close to a $600+ project.

I was considering getting the Lowrance scupper hole transducer mount...but I think when I beach the TI it would screw the transducer up. Therefore, I'm thinking an 'in-hull' mount would be preferable. I think I will mount the transducer in Marine Goop between the mast brace and the front mirage drive slot. I've been told that you if you mount the transducer anywhere in the rear of the mirage drives the turbulence will interfere with the readings. Also, I guess the DSI feature would not work well unless 'thru the hull' vice 'in the water.' Any comments on this?

I also am wanting to get the Revo 11 as my 'pure fishing' kayak. It would be great to have the Elite system easily transferable from the TI to the Revo. However, with the set up I described above, I think I will definitely need two transducers.

Really appreciate the advice.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh....I wanted to know from those with the GPS/sounder on their TIs if they really find the fishfinder useful??? If so, then I would definitely get it. I'm concerned it is something I would later find that I don't use as often as I thought. If this is the case, then I would probably be better off using my handheld GPS.

Most of my fishing is in the Tampa Bay area....usually in the shallows for Redfish, Snook, Trout and Mangrove Snapper. Most often the depth I'm fishing in is 5 feet or less. I don't know if the fishfinder would be beneficial at these depths. I guess if I was to go deeper with structure for grouper and Spanish Macks the finder would be more useful.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For me out on Hawaiian waters, I mostly use it for finding bait (schools) and locating structures on the bottom (ridges). Other than that, it is interesting viewing water depth and bottom contours.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike, my rear scupper mounted DSI transducer shows absolutely zero marks of any kind after more than 250 trips. Absolutely the only "issue" is that on very rare occasions, the bow can touch the bottom while the depth still indicates a few feet (well dur!). The other advantage is that my Elite 4 also gives accurate water temperature readings with the transduce actually sitting in the water. I have seen no signs of erratic readings due to turbulance..

I was starting from scratch, so instead of buying separate handheld GPS and fishfinder, I bought the combo, as well as a Navionics Silver card. The total price of the combo was hundred$ cheaper.

I too mostly sail in pretty shallow waters, but on longer trips on the ocean, having depth as well as nav charts plus the ability to see structure etc, make for a useful setup.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tony,

I use the cart in my rear scupper wheels when I move the TI off the trailer to the short. Guess I would have to remove the transducer to due this? Also, is the transducer in the rear scupper easily removed and reinserted? Can you put a cooler on top of it while it is in the rear scupper? All important questions to see how much of my 'routine' to launch and recover I need to change.

I have a handheld GPS and VHF...but they are old and need to be replaced. Therefore, I was looking at the Elite 4 as it is a cost savings if considering to add a sounder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MikeSail wrote:
Tony,

I use the cart in my rear scupper wheels when I move the TI off the trailer to the short. Guess I would have to remove the transducer to due this? Also, is the transducer in the rear scupper easily removed and reinserted? Can you put a cooler on top of it while it is in the rear scupper? All important questions to see how much of my 'routine' to launch and recover I need to change.

I have a handheld GPS and VHF...but they are old and need to be replaced. Therefore, I was looking at the Elite 4 as it is a cost savings if considering to add a sounder.

Sorry Mike, but the scupper mount is not easily removable, so it would prevent your using the trolley in the rear pair of scuppers. The top of the scupper mount is a flat round cap about 1/2 inch high. It would depend on the size of the cooler.

Sounds like you would be best to install the transducer inside the hull. Make a small dam of closed cell foam, and goop this to the hull. When it is dried thoroughly, heat up some goop (so it flows better) and pour it into the dam. Then insert the transducer, squirming it gently into the goop so as to avoid any air bubbles. Secure it is place using tape etc, and leave it untouched for at least a couple of days.

The transducer should then work fine, except for the temperature recording hull, rather than water temperature.