Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a new TI owner and noticed significant force required to steer the TI when out for my first sail in only 5-10 knots of wind. Is this normal, and if not, what should I check to determine if something is not set up properly?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This sounds like the rudder wasn't locked fully down. When you pull the string to lower the rudder, you need to cleat it into the down position. When it's not locked it'll lift up and that will add tons of helm onto the steering handle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome PM Browser, we are sure you will have many enjoyable days on your TI.

Have a look at the rudder in the fully down position, out of the water if you can.
You will see that a small forward section of the rudder is forward of the pivot line.
When in the water, this section actually pushes the rudder and acts like power steeering.
If you look closely at aircraft control surfaces, you will see the same section.

The end result should be comfortable control on the small tiller handle.
We can sail all day without discomfort, when it is working right.

There could be other problems but check this one first.
I notice a thump coming through the hull when my rudder is fully down.
Of course if it is fully down and no other obvious problem, go back to your dealer.

And most of all, enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let's assume you had the rudder cleated down properly. It's easy to check just cleat it down then walk to the back of the boat and try to lift it. I had a tennis shoe caught up in the lines inside the hull once and making me think the rudder was down tight but it really wasn't (because of the shoe).
Let's assume you have checked all that and there might be another problem.

In the rudder there is a plastic hinge pin. If you accidentally bump the bottom that rudder pin can break ( it's designed to break first so no other damage occurs to the boat, this is normal). We have all bumped the bottom at one time or another and broke rudder pins.
Now sometimes when it breaks it only breaks at either the top hinge or the lower hinge and the remaining hinge is still in tact. When this happens the steering is very tight and difficult ( usually a sure sign the rudder pin is half broke. Try pulling the pin and inspect it if it is broken just replace it with the spare pin that should have came with the boat. It's a good idea to have a couple spare pins laying around.

The boat expands and contracts quite a bit from temperature change ( as much as a couple inches). If the rudder lines were adjusted in cold weather it's possible the steering lines are too tight , this will also cause very hard steering.
Hope this helps you
Bob

Last edited by fusioneng on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the most common cause for stiff tiller control is that the rudder down line has not been pulled hard and cleated. Now, of course, you may need to check to see if there is a BonggavillaBob's sneaker stuck in your lines.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon