Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i am looking for the part number so i can order a replacement rear handle (it may be the same as the front handle, not 100% sure though) for a TI. i checked the parts catalog pdf linked on this site but it only shows 2 pages:

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... -guide.pdf

the handle you would grab if you were picking it off the ground and carrying it is the one i am referring to. thank you very much!

BTW mine has someone all but disintegrated, not sure if it is due to sun damage or some bug that eats rubber or what???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is this what you are looking for? http://www.austinkayak.com/products/495/Hobie-Kayak-Toggle-Handle.html?k=toggle

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see a lot of TI's with two handles in the front and two in th back. They say you can lift the heavy boat with both hands, or one person on each side when you do that. Seems to be a popular add on.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have 2 AIs, and both have a double handle on bow and stern. Yes, 2 hand hauling are better than 1.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
i am looking for the part number so i can order a replacement rear handle (it may be the same as the front handle, not 100% sure though) for a TI. i checked the parts catalog pdf linked on this site but it only shows 2 pages:

Full catalog here: http://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/87367021-2014-summer-international-kayaking-parts-catalog.pdf

The full parts diagrams go through each part from bow to stern... then specific parts for models like Islands and Pro Anglers, so the handle is shown on an earlier page... 44.

76050001 HANDLE KAYAK (MOLDED)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

that would be the correct handle. i only have the stock setup of 1 handle in front and 1 in rear, and my front handle is in great condition, so i'm unsure how the rear one is completely crumbling and falling apart. it has been getting noticibly worse each time i use it, but the last time i had to fight it to keep the inner plastic small piece from ripping through the remaining rubber and falling out of my hands. so i figure it is time to replace it.

my front handle only gets a portion of the sun that the rear one gets so this is definitely a distinct culprit. but i had it out in the sun for 1.5 years in Annapolis without issue. our sun is definitely more powerful here in Okinawa (we are about parrallel to Ft Lauderdale/Miami in the US) but our salt is crazy here so maybe the stronger sunshine and constant salty air is what has done it. weird, since no other rubber ish or any other material parts are looking unusually worn..

well thanks for the link, ordering now!