Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is the main sheet supposed to whack me in the head as I tack from the back seat? I'm only 5'5"...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need to duck under it. Sailing, even in a TI, requires some effort, minor though it be.

Make sure you have everything rigged properly, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When you're sailing with a boom and you're coming about, you yell "boom" to remind yourself to get your head down so you don't get bopped.
When you're sailing with a main sheet and you're coming about, you should yell "sheet" to remind yourself to duck. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not a silly question, its a common issue that Hobie should improve.

I built a rollbar that inserts into the rod holders in the back and moved the pulley up onto the rollbar and it doesnt hit my head anymore

It is pretty much the same as this one
http://youtu.be/cRVhxgiPZ-g
First minute or so of the video. Do a search for rollbar and mainsheet on this site and you will find posts

I used the existing pulley that is at the back. There is a pin that unscrews and I attached it to the rollbar with an eyebolt threw the rollbar

Send me a pm if you want a picture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just raising the pulley without recutting the sail means that the leech will always be too slack, no matter how much sail is unfurled. I guess some of us will consider that the compromise in sailing efficiency might be justified by increase in convenience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tonystott wrote:
Just raising the pulley without recutting the sail means that the leech will always be too slack, no matter how much sail is unfurled. I guess some of us will consider that the compromise in sailing efficiency might be justified by increase in convenience.

Since the pin is removable from the section that attaches the pulley to the hull it can be easily moved (which is what allows you to move and easily attach it to the fisheye bolt on a rollbar if you make one). Therefore you can do the opposite and reattach it to the hull very quickly if your solo sailing or dont mind it hitting you. If you choose you want a better ride then simply move it back to the rollbar. You have options depending on what you want :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Boy was I full of sheet on that first ride ... :lol:

My last boat was a Catalina 320, I have to get used to ducking again! I'm also trying to figure out how to manage the furling line if I'm sailing single in the back seat--the manual recommends tying it to the mainsheet, is that how most do it? Or does someone have a better mod?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's how I do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I need to get all these people off my boat so I can try it properly. I am pretty surprised how the boat moves in light air with an adult on each tramp. Someday soon I'll get to try it with only 2 people on it ... In related news, while attempting to duck, my favorite hat was knocked off my head and we had our first MOB drill. We were pathetic, but the hat survived.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually if you get some spectra string (Hobie rudder line) and wrap around the gudgeon at the back of the boat , you can attach the main sheet a little further back in the boat, this increases the comfort level in the back seat a little, without messing up the sail performance. Tony is right raising the back with PVC bars in the rod holders really messes with the sail shape and performance of the sail.
If you look at some of my videos you will see my mainsail is always wrinkled in the center, this is caused by my PVC motor mount that raises the back of the sail line because my wife hates when the control line hits her head, so too keep peace in the house I raised it.
I had to remove my first suggestion above to make way for my automatic anchor system.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On that note, you'll find that the your fishing rods will hang up on the TI sheets from time to time. If you have treble-hooked lures ready to deploy, they are an additional problem. Just be aware.