Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So a renter left his Howie cat sailboat. It has a number of accessories that I know nothing about, to include the sail. I'm wondering how I can figure out exactly how old it is and what model. Also, was thinking to use that info and try to sail it. Just to see if I like it. Thanks, any direction or info would be great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it is a cat, you are on the wrong forum. That said, you might check the "Sailboats" menu item at the top of the page. I'm sure, if you put a picture up, any number of people could help you.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, it's not an adventure Island or tandem island. No owner in their right mind would leave one of those. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chaschan77:
It's pretty easy to tell what kind if boat it is, since your inquiring on the Hobie forum, it probably says Hobie somewhere on the boat.
The boat is likely either a Hobie 14 or a Hobie 16 ( two of the best and most popular boats ever made). The number in the name denotes the length of the hulls, if you measure the length of the hulls (not including rudders) this will tell you which one you have. If you want to know what year it was made, there is a serial number on the back outside of the right hull (all boats must have this by law).
If you post pics of the boat here (actually not here but on the right part of the forum for your particular boat ( ie... H14, h16, h18, etc) depending on the length other users of that same type boat can and will help you with any questions or problems.
My advice is don't spend any money on the boat until you are sure it is salvageable. Some of the very old Hobie cats have rotton hulls (soft spots on the hull fiberglass itself) that if minor can be repaired but if major then the boat is scrap , what we call a parts boat (not worth anything).
The users on that part of the forum will help you determine if the boat is worth saving, if it is, then you lucked into a great find and the used hobiecat market is very strong if you decide to sell it instead.
Hope this helps you
Bob