Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've just taken out my Tandem Island for a weekend to test everything out and I've run into two dissapointments.

Firstly, immediately upon sitting in one of the seats, it fully reclined and is failing to adjust back into any position besides fully reclined. The other seat is working just fine. If I pull the screws out of the back piece where the adjustment lever is could there just be something not secured that I can reattach to let me go out tomorrow as planned or am I out of luck until I get a replacement? If I attempt to fix will it void the warranty?

Secondly, the tramps that I ordered came in tan instead of black. After studying my purchase order I see that the description says tan but the "attribute" column says black... bummer but not end of the world. the bigger concern is that the paper that was in the box says "Hobie Adventure Island" and not tandem. Is there a size difference? I think I'm going to try and get them exchanged because I prefer black. The question is, can I use them without any risk for the remainder of the weekend?

thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry but can't help you with your seat problem, but I am aware that with the 2015 models, the same tramp fits both Islands. Shame if it mucks up any plans to swap them at the dealer...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would think the dealer would be able to swap the seat out for you and then warranty it. Pre 2015 the tramps were different sizes between the AI and TI. But I believe they are the same now. Still your dealer should have made sure they were the correct color before delivering them to you.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did go ahead and use the tramps, but a phone call to the dealer said they would switch them out. When I attached the buckles, there was no spare space left. It seemed like it was about 2 inches too long. But it worked and we had fun.

I did take the chair apart just to see. 8 screws (one was loose and already stripped out interestingly enough). There are 2 pulleys on either side and a single string had jumped into the gap between them. I put it right and all was good. Now just need to put a drop of some kind of glue to insure the screw doesn't work its way out.

All told, very fun and I'm taking the family out for a run next weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Dangermaus wrote:
I've just taken out my Tandem Island for a weekend to test everything out and I've run into two dissapointments.

Firstly, immediately upon sitting in one of the seats, it fully reclined and is failing to adjust back into any position besides fully reclined. The other seat is working just fine. If I pull the screws out of the back piece where the adjustment lever is could there just be something not secured that I can reattach to let me go out tomorrow as planned or am I out of luck until I get a replacement? If I attempt to fix will it void the warranty?

Secondly, the tramps that I ordered came in tan instead of black. After studying my purchase order I see that the description says tan but the "attribute" column says black... bummer but not end of the world. the bigger concern is that the paper that was in the box says "Hobie Adventure Island" and not tandem. Is there a size difference? I think I'm going to try and get them exchanged because I prefer black. The question is, can I use them without any risk for the remainder of the weekend?

thanks in advance.

Hopefully you have resolved the seat issue. I suspect a failure that would have to be corrected at the factory, but contacting the dealer is the way to go. A photo of what is wrong inside the back adjustment bar would help diagnose.

The tramps sound like A... wrong ones and B... gray and not black. We don't make Tan ones. Correct SKU for the TI in Black is 88527001 TRAMP SET TI / 2015+ AI - BLACK Fits all TI and 2015+ AI

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
We don't make Tan ones. Correct SKU for the TI in Black is 88527001 TRAMP SET TI / 2015+ AI - BLACK Fits all TI and 2015+ AI

interesting.... wonder if I got non-Hobie ones? I'm sure the dealer will work it out tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmmm, if you got non-Hobie ones, did you get charged for Hobie ones? just sayin'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well, didn't get back to the dealer today, replaced a water pump instead.

Tomorrow it'll work out, my receipt says Hobie so i'm sure everything is ok. can't wait to get out for a decent sail this Saturday

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dangermaus wrote:
well, didn't get back to the dealer today, replaced a water pump instead.

Whoa .. the new TI's come with a built-in water pump ?!?!?

:wink: :P

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice. Not yet they don't. Unfortunately my 15 year old Jeep does. Unfortunately again, it wasn't the water pump. I completely missed the freeze plug crack.