Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a friend come out with me this weekend in my Tandem. He leaned back on his seat and the right strap anchor 'plug' popped right out. The plug still looked factory new with a good set of male threads. I had him screw the plug back in, but it popped out twice more. Returning to shore I discovered that there was only a portion of the outer thread in the female hole. The rest of the hole's interior was smooth to the touch. The left anchor hole has factory threads extending all the way into the hole.
The only thing holding the right plug in, was 'friction' of the plug threads against the nearly smooth wall of the hole.
We ended up extending the right seat strap up to the front right hull 'handle' so the seat back wouldn't collapse back to the cross-bar.

Is there any way to secure the plug into the hole?
From other threads, I don't believe that there are any adhesives that would allow me to secure the plug.
I don't feel that I could not request Hobie to replace the Tandem hull, just to replace the threads in one seat strap anchor point.

Any solutions would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Especially if the boat is still under warranty, that's what the warranty is for, obviously this is not something you could have done, it's a defect in the boat itself. I wouldn't touch it, just take it to the dealer, it's their job to figure out what to do to make you whole again. Basically you need a cleat that doesn't come out, it's there job to figure it out in my opinion, unless there is something else going on here.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TIDALWAVE wrote:
I had a friend come out with me this weekend in my Tandem. He leaned back on his seat and the right strap anchor 'plug' popped right out. The plug still looked factory new with a good set of male threads. I had him screw the plug back in, but it popped out twice more. Returning to shore I discovered that there was only a portion of the outer thread in the female hole. The rest of the hole's interior was smooth to the touch. The left anchor hole has factory threads extending all the way into the hole.
The only thing holding the right plug in, was 'friction' of the plug threads against the nearly smooth wall of the hole.
We ended up extending the right seat strap up to the front right hull 'handle' so the seat back wouldn't collapse back to the cross-bar.

Is there any way to secure the plug into the hole?
From other threads, I don't believe that there are any adhesives that would allow me to secure the plug.
I don't feel that I could not request Hobie to replace the Tandem hull, just to replace the threads in one seat strap anchor point.

Any solutions would be appreciated.

the something happen to me on a two weeks old outfitter I took it to the dealer where I got it from and they replace the hull

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:19 am 
Site Admin

The dealer can get a tool from our warranty department to re-tap threads. Sometimes they melt a few plastic tack welds inside first, but 100% fixable and not necessary to get a hull replacement.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TIDALWAVE, same thing happend to me on a new hull. I G-flexed it for now.

The old lumbar does not like losing a strap on one side... it gets VERY uncomfortable after a couple miles.