Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

Does anybody know how to replace the aka retention clip in the crossbars on a TI? These are the clips that hold the akas on and you depress the buttons to remove the aka. It seems like it should be really easy but once I remove the 4 screws on the crossbar, I can not depress the buttons in far enough to remove the clip (unless I damage it more). I also would be unable to put the new aka retention clip into the crossbar because it will not fit! It's too large! (yes, it's the same clip)

I sent this question to Hobie support and even tried calling them and leaving a message but I have been completely ignored and unable to reach a real human through Hobie. My dealer does not know how to replace the clip.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 am 
Site Admin

This FAQ discusses a "catch" part of the latch setup.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=44479

The button portion is removed by pulling the 4 screws out (near the buttons) depress the buttons and pull the part out of the crossbar with long needle nose pliers or wire hook. Insert new part till the buttons pop out the holes and re-attach the screws.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for your response, Matt! After removing the screws in the clip, I can't seem to apply enough pressure to the buttons to compress the clip small enough to get it out. It also seems I would have to seriously deform/damage the clip to remove the old one or insert a new one. (damaging the new one in the process)

These clips seem relatively rigid and seem like they may not like being significantly deformed.

Is it okay to go ahead and force these clips to bend/deform for installation? (do you use any heat to soften them?) I know they install somehow or they wouldn't already be in there.

Thank you again.