Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob:
The old AI design was basically a conversion from a standard kayak, of an old model kayak design from circa 2006. When hobie came out with the TI in 2010 they included all they learned from previous experience from the AI. Everyone is pretty happy with the TI design, and as an all around boat it's hard to beat. In order to get a little better low wind performance some added there own jibs and such, but most like it right out of the box. Once the TI came out and became popular the floor kind of dropped out of the AI sales. Hobie for 2015 is simply adding all the stuff that makes the TI popular to the AI (like you said a major upgrade). This will make the AI as desirable as the TI (a good thing IMO).
The only upgrades needed on the TI for 2015 are the new and better seats and upgraded mirage drive.
These boats are already pretty much the most popular boats on the market with nothing on the market that is comparable. They do exactly what they are advertised to do, and are easily modified by end users who want even more (ie... Jibs, motors, fishing gadgets, tramps, HAKA's, etc). Best yet they are very capable right out of the box, so you don't really need to do anything to have great fun, plus they are easy and fast to rig from a trailer (faster and easier than pretty much anything else out there ( a huge plus)), plus they fit in your garage (+++).
I'm not seeing them doing much more on the design (they already sell more than they can make).
Hobie has created a whole generation of new sailers with these boats, as a family boat there is nothing like it especially with the kayak and fishing crowd, not so much with the hard core Hobie cat crowd with a need for speed, I think Hobie likes it this way (nobody is going to trade in their wildcat for a TI).
I see Hobie continuing this line for the foreseeable future, why stop, the demand is there with this whole new generation of sailers. Just ask any kayaker and they will say they want one of those next (lol).
I do however see Hobie coming out with a more capable tri in the future though, something for the more advanced sailers to graduate to with a CE 'C' rating for offshore, and much more technical, but I expect that to be a new design, much more complex, and of course much mo expensive, for example a WETA costs around $13k, something like that with mirage drives, jib and screacher would be the obvious upgrade for the guys who want more from Hobie, but they will not be cheap, and don't expect the TI to graduate to that, it would be a whole new design.
Of course I have no crystal ball, and nobody knows what Hobie is working on, but it makes perfect sense for them to come out with something for us guys who love the TI's to step up into, but have no desire whatsoever to go buy an H16 or a wildcat. It's a whole new world out there that Hobie invented, the funny part about it is most of this new generation has no interest whatsoever in stuffy sailing clubs, sailing around little bouys in one design boats that were designed in the 60's and cannot be modified at all from the original 60's design. They are called adventure boats for a good reason, and people are just beginning to realize their true potential.
Of course all of my options are my own personal opinions.
My two cents
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great post Fusion. Worth a nickle, at least,..

Hobie recently brought the T2, (basically a rotomolded version of the H16) to the US market. Not hearing much fanfare about it though. I hope it does well.

I'm also expecting Hobie to step up their game with a bigger, sturdier Tri.

With all the great rotomolded designs proliferating out there, Hobie won't have this space to themselves forever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
Bob:
The old AI design was basically a conversion from a standard kayak, of an old model kayak design from circa 2006. When hobie came out with the TI in 2010 they included all they learned from previous experience from the AI. Everyone is pretty happy with the TI design, and as an all around boat it's hard to beat. In order to get a little better low wind performance some added there own jibs and such, but most like it right out of the box. Once the TI came out and became popular the floor kind of dropped out of the AI sales. Hobie for 2015 is simply adding all the stuff that makes the TI popular to the AI (like you said a major upgrade). This will make the AI as desirable as the TI (a good thing IMO).
The only upgrades needed on the TI for 2015 are the new and better seats and upgraded mirage drive.
These boats are already pretty much the most popular boats on the market with nothing on the market that is comparable. They do exactly what they are advertised to do, and are easily modified by end users who want even more (ie... Jibs, motors, fishing gadgets, tramps, HAKA's, etc). Best yet they are very capable right out of the box, so you don't really need to do anything to have great fun, plus they are easy and fast to rig from a trailer (faster and easier than pretty much anything else out there ( a huge plus)), plus they fit in your garage (+++).
I'm not seeing them doing much more on the design (they already sell more than they can make).
Hobie has created a whole generation of new sailers with these boats, as a family boat there is nothing like it especially with the kayak and fishing crowd, not so much with the hard core Hobie cat crowd with a need for speed, I think Hobie likes it this way (nobody is going to trade in their wildcat for a TI).
I see Hobie continuing this line for the foreseeable future, why stop, the demand is there with this whole new generation of sailers. Just ask any kayaker and they will say they want one of those next (lol).
I do however see Hobie coming out with a more capable tri in the future though, something for the more advanced sailers to graduate to with a CE 'C' rating for offshore, and much more technical, but I expect that to be a new design, much more complex, and of course much mo expensive, for example a WETA costs around $13k, something like that with mirage drives, jib and screacher would be the obvious upgrade for the guys who want more from Hobie, but they will not be cheap, and don't expect the TI to graduate to that, it would be a whole new design.
Of course I have no crystal ball, and nobody knows what Hobie is working on, but it makes perfect sense for them to come out with something for us guys who love the TI's to step up into, but have no desire whatsoever to go buy an H16 or a wildcat. It's a whole new world out there that Hobie invented, the funny part about it is most of this new generation has no interest whatsoever in stuffy sailing clubs, sailing around little bouys in one design boats that were designed in the 60's and cannot be modified at all from the original 60's design. They are called adventure boats for a good reason, and people are just beginning to realize their true potential.
Of course all of my options are my own personal opinions.
My two cents
Bob

Thank you Bob for the informative post. Looks like I would be safe getting a 2015 model and not be surprised with a MAJOR upgrade coming out shortly thereafter. Sounds like that is becoming my plan. Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OH NO! Serious design flaw - AI

I was looking at the image on the hobie website. They have move the bigger cupholder to the port side. I steer with my left hand - right hand is for beer! What were they thinking :).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Admin

You have to hold the mainsheet with the right hand... you can let go of the helm for a few moments to chug your beverage with you left? Makes sense to me anyway!

I think it has more to do with the centerboard trunk on the right and the larger space required for CT seats.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Narwhal, stay tuned for Hobies new Livewell KEG XL option. Then it will all make sense... Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

?? possible Hobie Beer Hat shown with quick release straw and optional Beer Goggles ***

*** Makes any average woman appear to be SuperModel stock.
Disclaimer - images in the goggles may not appear the same the morning after wear. No responsibility implied or intended

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tomorrow I will be picking up what is the last of the 2014 TI's that my local Hobie Dealer had in stock... no more to be had. I went in this morning because I had reservations about whether to wait for the 2015's or not, with the higher, dryer seat, and the rollerbearing assist mirage system.

He gently walked me through the hype on the mirage system... no difference.. has to do with patent stuff that needs to be dealt with.. in a blind test, I picked the older mirage pedals as easier. so the 10%? Hype? He also pointed out, the roller bearings are just more mechanism to get clogged with sand?

The seats? He was not a big fan of them... they are all plastic and very flimsy.. they won't hold anyone heavy.. they will break easily and I wasn't impressed... He won't warrantee them because he KNOWS they will be problematic... Very flimsy... I will take the other seat that WILL NOT FAIL over the new one any day... Yes, they might be dryer, but it's a wet boat... get over it...

the new hull entry? yea, looks more like the Racing boats with additional waterline, but he pointed out something I had not thought about... lake sailing with sea weed? it will pick that stuff up, rather than sailing over it... Good point! Will it really enhance the boat speed? if it does, I can't imagine significantly...

Bottom line, I am Happily purchasing a 2014 Tandem Island, and glad I got the last one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the new boat RJ!

The 2014 TI is great and probably a much better deal, but I think your sales guy had his "beer-goggles" on. Now that he's sold out of old TI's, I imagine he'll really change his tune as the new and "improved" models arrive at his shop. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I think NOHUHU is right, as usual. Still, congrats on that new boat!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, that guy was full of it, and if I were Hobie, I would seek him out and give him a rollocking. So he wouldn't warrant the new "flimsy" seats eh? Luckily jerks like him are not the ones in charge of Hobie's policy.

I fear that his crap will continue with the 2015 models, just a different flavour, but still the crap of a poor salesperson.

By the way, were you testing the different Miragedrives in water, or just in the showroom? I cannot imagine Hobie would tell lies about the improvement available from the new units.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ricky Joe wrote:
Tomorrow I will be picking up what is the last of the 2014 TI's that my local Hobie Dealer had in stock... no more to be had.......

Hey RJ a salesman will often say whatever it takes to make the sale - even a bit of B.S. The good news for you is that you have bought a great boat and I'm sure you will not regret it - its already proven itself time and time again. Chances are you got it for a good good price too.
Enjoy your sailing and welcome the Hobie forum - we look forward to hearing about your sailing adventures in your new TI (pun intended) !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, my Oasis and Outback sold. Now it's decision time. Original plan was the new 2015 TI with the 2 biggest upgrades, seats and drive in my color choice of ivory dune with blue trim sail. It's either go for that, or a used red 2014 TI, that after close study of over 30 pictures, appears to be in very good shape. It was a demo when the owner bought it and just used in freshwater lakes. Hobie told me they will warranty demos. So that presents me with a tough decision... All new with upgrades and color choice, or the TI everybody's enjoyed for years with substantial savings.

Lots of pros and cons to weigh. Been to the dealer looking closely at the vantage seat. They are more comfy with various high low positions with middle cross bar knob in the back that turns to adjust the back rest mesh tension. However that's more mechanism that may one day need attention, especially the front tilt adjustment that involves a plastic gear that may need cleaning of dirt or sand. Not a big deal as it can cleaned out with a garden hose, and the seat bar accessed by removing a few screws. As for the drives my guess is that time will tell about needing more attention, but they sure do look cool.

I have 2 Hobie inflatable seat pads that add comfort to the current seats if I decide on the 2014, but as time goes by, may be wishing I had all new. It's a hard choice the difference being, either order new then sit back and wait, or save about 2k and drive a 7 hour round trip.

Mann what a hard decision!!! :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy the demo and enjoy it now. When the 2015 ship you can look at them and if you decide you really want it, sell your demo (probably near what you are buying it for) and the same day get your new 2015. After the initial drop in value for a used vs new, Hobie's don't seem to drop in resale value much over time, especially as most years the new boats retail price goes up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Fusioneng for that update on the motor setup. I'm going to buy one of those Honda 2.3 myself for the AI. I want to do some long range trips and need a backup. I take it your using the short shaft model?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next