Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hence why I equated Hobie to Apple in an earlier post.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Car companies have been using this form of advertising for years. Ford Australia drove around the block a few times in the latest Falcon months before the official launch. Then they just sat back and waited for social media to run with it. Months of advertising for FREE. Very smart.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

....hmmm....really hope the new seat will be available for retrofit old AI / TI's....

peace
Serbi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

serbi wrote:
....hmmm....really hope the new seat will be available for retrofit old AI / TI's....

peace
Serbi

I don't think so. The seat pan is very different.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

serbi wrote:

peace
Serbi

I don't think it will be possible to retro fit the new seat...easily. They had to make some major mold changes. However, there is never a lack of innovative individuals on this forum.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52329

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I've often lamented that my AI drop in DB is a pain in the rear to put and keep somewhere everytime you come in or need to pull it due to shallow water.

Simple solution Tom - just slide the tip under the front hatch bungies and push. I also store it here before launch after clipping it in.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Regarding the Turbo drives. I have a V1 drive with original fins on my Revo 13. I want to put ST Turbo fins on it. I'm assuming I can buy the V2 upgrade kit which will allow me to put threaded fins on which will be forward compatible with my future TI V2 drives ? Are there any benefits to the upgrade other than threaded fins ? Not a lot of info in the accessory catalog about the changes.

This is a bit off topic but my 07 Revo twist and stow rudder had stripped plastic threads for the 3/8-16 bolt that holds the two halves together and tensions the raise/lower function. This bolt is drilled to pass the Left steering control line. Rather than replace the expensive housing, I got another SST bolt and tig welded a small loop (a sst pem nut I drilled out and smoothed the edges ) onto the bolt head. Now the left control line attaches on that loop and the bolt is longer and is held by a nylock nut on the other side after I filed out the remaining threads in the housing. It's working great so far.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As a new guy to Hobie I was wondering what type of information can we expect to be revealed at these annual announcements? New catalog? New enhancements? New models? New pricing?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark:
Just think of your new TI as Christmas present all wrapped up under your tree, now think back to your childhood, you have no idea what is in the box but it's shaped like the sled you had been asking for. But you don't know for sure, it could be a guitar (that you also asked for) made to look like a sled (my parents were sneaky that way). If it's a sled you don't know if it's the exact sled you asked for.
Well your box is shaped like a kayak, feel free to shake the box (lol).
On Christmas when you open your present you will find out if it's "Just what I wanted"
Think about it even if they only just upgraded the seats and the mirage drives and nothing else you will still be getting "Just what you wanted" the rest will be a pleasant bonus.
My opinion is even with no changes the TI is the best value in the market today and at least a few years ahead of anything else on the market or on anyone's drawing boards (my opinion of course).
If you are concerned, start taking guitar lessons now.
Rest assured I'm sure all will be revealed next week, actually what would really cool for Hobie to do would be to have a web cast event for all of us forum fans (yea just like Apple does), would kind of suck though if just 3 of us watched it (lol).
Just thinking outside the box. ( I'm always out there a little too far lol)
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry my soggy bottomed friends, the new seating and venturi scupper caps are not compatible with the older hulls.

There's no reason yet to believe that the larger sail and Amas could not be used... :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's certainly an idea, but you wonder if the new daggerboard placement and size corresponds with the long hull, taller mast and larger sail (surely it does). So just putting more sail and longer amas on the current AI may not be all that we might suspect it would be. Could be great, but could also be a nightmare.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My thoughts too Tom . I have the TI amas on a AI now and plan on renting the 2015 sail from our local Hobie dealer as soon as available to find out. Assuming the masts are interchangeable. I'll post up what happens.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It seems to me the bigger sail is only going to be much of an advantage in lighter winds. Hell, I furl my existing sail when it gets much north of 20 knots. So, the existing dagger board and amas may be adequate anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To All.... This has been a fun thread!

As fer trailering a TI.... I modified Tom Kirkmans PVC tube idea since I already owned TI cradles.
I used a PWC trailer and added 2 - 12"x 8 ft Fir boards outside of 2-12" x 10 ft Fir boards as centerline support. I used Galv channel as a cross support and bolted boards to the frame.
I then bolted on my cradles to the boards so that they would be under Mirage drive holes ...
I then cut the PVC pipe to fit in between the cradles and then in front and behind of cradles to support hull inside the 10 ft length of the hull channels.... I went to Costco and bought a couple of indoor/outdoor rubberized carpet entry mats, which I then screwed over the top of PVC pipes in front,between and behind cradles.... Works Great... I can pull boat up onto trailer with Much Less resistance than cradles alone and the cradles hold the AMA's nicely! I used rubber bungees to hold handles to the trailer frame up n over the AMA's.... Little bit of give for bumps in road....
I left the TI on trailer in garage last winter.. No hull deflection, very little scraping on hull due to carpets on top of PVC pipes within hull groove!

Finally, with the new TI and more sail area... Isn't the V brace the weakest link ? Adding Hakas to counter more sail just puts More leverage on the V brace...Yes?? Shouldn't the sail be reefed to maintain speed while minimizing Hull V brace forces?? Thanks.... Again Great Ideas Posted!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Details now available above under Adventure Island.
Not showing any handles. :(
The rear cargo well looks more like a TI's.

Details- new (old):
Hull Length 16' 7" (16')
Mast 16' 6" (15' 2")
Beam out 2.9m (2.84) Beam in unchanged.
Sail Area -65sq/ft (57.5)
Weight fitted 47.45kg (39.24kg) , rigged 64.4kg (52.16)
Capacity 181kg (159)

No updated TI details as yet.
No Adventure kayak listed separately anymore, but there is a Revolution 16! :?
Looks like they are still selling the old Adventure renamed but with no DB slot? :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next