Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,

New poster here with a quick question (tried searching but couldn't find an answer) I just purchased a used 2011 Hobie Adventure Island from a buddy who is the original owner. I saw a thread about Hobie sending all 2011+ AIs/TIs the new up/down Rudder system and was curius since my friend (original owner) never claimed his, are we still eligible for the replacement? The Kayak was purchased from Austin Canoe and Kayak in Houston and they weren't sure of the answer either. Hopefully there's no time limitation! Thanks Hobie!

The S/N is B201106158561

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a similar situation back in 2011. I tried to get the dealer to register me so I could get the upgrade--he refused. Said I was the second owner and would have to buy the upgrade. You can read about that somewhat unfriendly exchange here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35587 When I contacted Hobie support, they corrected what the dealer said and immediately sent a new rudder. I also provide some tips for installing the new rudder. Jim Czarnowski, head engineer at Hobie, has an excellent installation video--again go to my link above.

I am sure Hobie will furnish you a new rudder; however, you will likely need to call or email their support, give them the serial number, and request the rudder.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon