Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Some questions:

1. How high can you point in the AI/TI? I have heard 60 degrees off the wind.

2. How fast have people been able to sail and what is the fastest point of sail?

I like sailing boats that sail well close hauled... But if the AI/TI is as fast as I've heard, the velocity made good may be just fine even if you have to bear off the wind a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't speak to the AI but the TI sails very well overall. I think I can sail around 45 degrees into the wind depending upon wind speed (but I have no relative wind indicator). Higher winds seem to equal better performance. Last weekend, my destination was directly up-wind, and I tacked very well and reasonably fast in 15-20 knot winds. There is a bit more leeway than I prefer but not too bothersome. I wish there was more area on the centerboard (or dual centerboards).

My fastest speed has been around 8 MPH but I typically sail a heavy boat. If I was single-hand (hiked out) or lighter, I bet I could hit > 10 MPH. Fastest point of sail seems to be near a beam reach or slightly upwind. It's not a fast boat but it moves well.

The lack of a boom makes the sail less efficient as you head downwind, especially on a run. It sails more efficiently on a beam or close reach as you tighten the main sheet.

The TI also tacks/jibs very well. I've never gotten caught in irons nor have I had to use the mirage drive to get through a tack.

It's a very easy, fun boat to sail but can not be optimized for all points of sail. It can get very exciting with high-winds and big swells.