Site Rank - Admiral

Very windy, not so big waves.
Realy not so much sail out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LkK1NsnTVI

br
thomas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice video! It is great when you can have a strong wind w/o the waves. Great.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

And my fixed front hatch is still 100% waterproof!
As you see its realy tested...

br
thomas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's diving alright!
A great test for your hatch seal.
Sitting out aft on your haka will stop that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
That's diving alright!
A great test for your hatch seal.
Sitting out aft on your haka will stop that.

Correct! Sitting out on haka will probably stop the diving.
When there is not so much waves (in the movie the waves are not too big), it is possible.

One hour earlier there were to much waves and I did not feel secure enought to go out on the haka.
I found it REALLY uncomfortable when the waves rotated the Island and let me slide sideways downwards.
Happened 3 or 4 times...

br
thomas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First, I am a new TI owner, we'll it on order so I guess I don't really own one yet.

It appeared that you were sailing directly with the wind. Is that was causes the diving? Is it better to sail across the wind and tack back and forth? Or is the diving just part if it?

Can't wait for my TI to come it so I can have some hands on experience.

Thanks, Eric

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

RN_Shark wrote:
It appeared that you were sailing directly with the wind. Is that was causes the diving? Is it better to sail across the wind and tack back and forth? Or is the diving just part if it?

I am actually not sailing with the wind directly from behind. Even though I have reefed in nearly all sail area, the tendences to dive is still there. So I think diviving is just a part of sailing an AI in waves. You can minimize it with a bow reflector or move your weight further aft but in high winds there is a pressure on the sail and with certain waves you just simply dive.

br
thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With a TI (sitting in the front seat at least) it is common to have 2 inches of water sitting over the bow back as far as the mast without losing any speed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea Tony I call that nautilus mode when mine does that. I used to have hydrofoils mounted on my mirage fins that I would engage by locking the fins against the hull with my foot on one pedal, they didn't do any thing while pedaling or pointed down. This would raise the bow back out of the water on downwind. Hopefully with the new AI design that will no longer be a problem.
Then later on I added a bow sprit so the base of the jib is mounted further forward. With the angled jib which creates upward lift to the bow prevents diving altogether. Even adding a small jib greatly improves the downwind performance and totally stops any diving. Since adding the bow sprit I no longer needed the hydrofoils so they were removed.
Before adding the big wing jib I used to always deploy my huge (130 sq ft) roto furling spinnaker on downwind. The spinnaker created so much lift (because of the bow sprit) I would actually lift the front of the bow out of the water 5-6 inches. However I found there is a downside to spinnakers in that it is impossible to sail faster than the wind with them because they work like a parachute. Where with wing sails you can easily go faster than the wind basically rendering the spinnaker useless.
I still take the spinnaker along once in a while just for fun, because sailing with a giant spinnaker downwind is bar none the most fun experience in sailing, even if it slows me down (lol).
I agree that getting as much weight as aft as possible on both the AI and the TI helps more than anything else. I also came to the same conclusion as you, amazingly even if the bow does dive under water, it doesn't slow the boat down enough to worry about until the front aka bars are touching the water, then it's time to back off one notch (lol).
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To avoid diving on an AI (2014 and earlier models,) you must minimize any weight in the bow and maximize weight in the stern. With the largest opening in the bow (bow hatch), people may tend to stow gear there, but that just encourages bow diving. Distribute weight onto the stern storage and out on the hakas in order to minimize diving.

With their 2015 model, Hobie has increased stern volume (more buoyancy to handle more weight in the stern,) and increased the volume of the bow (more buoyancy, less diving.) The much larger amas will also decrease diving. Still, the key will be to keep weight out of the bow to reduce diving.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon