Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just got all my accessories for my eagerly anticipated TI. One item is the HD scupper cart. I now have a question about it.

It comes with the two clamp rings that you are supposed to push up to touch the bottom to spread the load.

First: Do you use those rings with the TI cradle add-on? The instruction sheet doesn't mention the cradle.

Second: If anyone happens to one of these with both an Outback as well as TI, how do you set it up? I'm guessing the hulls aren't going to be exactly the same right under the scupper holes.

I rarely haul my yaks very far to the water, are those rings necessary for short trips? Primarily concerned with the Outback, since with the TI I can simply slip the cradle on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RandomJoe:
If it were me I would adjust the clamp rings to suite the outback, then when you use it on your TI just slide the Hobie cradle over the top of the whole works (that's what I do with my Hobie HD cart, I used the cart with both my TI and my Revo). However I don't have a real Hobie cradle, mine is homemade, and was made long before Hobie came out with there own cradle, the design is the same (performs the exact same function) so I may be leading you astray (hope not).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was thinking much the same thing as I thought more about it today. The cradle is pretty flat, so unless the Outback has the rings pretty much all the way down all weight of the TI would be transferred to just the rings, the cradle will be lifted off the crossbar. Which may be fine, will have to see when it arrives.

Can't be bothered to fit it to the Outback yet - there's a cold rain outside and I'm not too eager to roll the trailer out of the garage to unload... :lol:

I've been using a standard kayak cart up 'til now with the Outback - a bit clumsy but it worked. I will try this one Tuesday - full moon night, and the weather's supposed to be relatively warm (58F for a high) so a few of us are headed to the lake for an evening paddle. Sure wish I had my TI already, would love to stretch out on a tramp watching the moonrise... :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We love to take our TI out at night it's so calm and peaceful, I have those Atwood nav lights (Walmart around $30 bucks). We keep them in a dry bag, if it gets dark we break them out and mount on the clips that came with the lights. They are led so they last a long time. One of our best purchases, we sometime go way off shore in the keys (my tI is Custom rigged and hardened for offshore), and have been out a few times now still 10-15 miles from launch when it got dark and needed the lights. You will love your TI (we do)
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll have to see if I can find those at my local wally world Bob.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Went out and flipped the Outback on the trailer to try out the cart. Hm... Are the Outback scuppers a bit farther apart than the other models? Or is the cart too narrow? Or are they simply supposed to touch the center part of the hull as shown? I was expecting the rings to wind up fitting nicely into the scuppers themselves, but if I push one down the other can't possibly fit as the other post gets pressed hard against the center part of the hull.

The posts don't just drop into the scuppers here, they aren't tight but there is some friction against the inside edges of the scuppers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks about right!

I put the collars lower down and put a tennis ball on each upright. I'm much happier with the hull sitting on the tennis balls, less pressure points.

Lowrance Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Hook1 Crew