Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm taking my Hobie Tandem Island on the 750 mile Race To Alaska http://racetoalaska.com. I've been doing sailing in SF Bay and am concerned about the bungee aka attachments lasting the trip. Has anyone modified this system to be more bomb proof?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wiseleyb:
We have our TI hardened for offshore use, and I made a short video describing some of the mods I did to help the boat survive offshore a little better (the TI from the factory only has a CE 'D' rating and is not certified for offshore use). The main necessary mod is converting the bungy's to double redundant bungy's so if one bungy fails the second bungy will still hold the AMA's on, you also need to be able to prevent the AMA's from folding while out in the ocean. In addition to the double bungy I also added a piece of spectra string to the bungy so the AMA can only drop an inch or so before bottoming out. The spectra string is the same grey thin line they use for steering on all Hobie kayaks and can be picked up at any Hobie dealer or from places like Austin Kayak mail order ( http://www.austinkayak.com/products/632 ... ?k=spectra rudd ). the stuff is 700 lbs test and costs about $.30 cents a foot typically, the stuff is very useful and I use it for everything, however you mostly need to use cinch type knots to hold it (the stuff is very slippery).
I belong to the Watertribe (www.watertribe.com) and they have similar races, last year I think there were about a dozen AI/TI's entered in the everglades challenge 300 mile race from Ft Desoto to Key Largo, and I believe the Hobie Adventure boats did well.

I looked at the Race to Alaska web site, but didn't see any different classifications for different types of crafts, it would be nice if they had a class for experimental electric or specialty hybrid propulsion systems (like mine).

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BcdE0137Xk
[youtube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BcdE0137Xk[/youtube2]

Hope this gives you some ideas, I'm Jealous about that race, it sounds like a blast, but I'm pretty sure it would be way beyond my own capabilities.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wiseleyb wrote:
I'm taking my Hobie Tandem Island on the 750 mile Race To Alaska http://racetoalaska.com. I've been doing sailing in SF Bay and am concerned about the bungee aka attachments lasting the trip. Has anyone modified this system to be more bomb proof?

Wow, I was just wondering what sort of endurance race could be held on the west coast. Do you know the cost of registration? I can vouch the trip will be the most visually stunning thing you have ever seen. :o

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's nutz! I would opt for the warm water, thunderstorms, sharks and gators...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

and crocs, pythons, other snakes, and jumping rays...

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So Keith, have you heard of an Aussie marathon event? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Isn't the whole of AU a marathon event? I almost came down to Australia this next spring, but had to cancel. Another time.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hope you make it someday, Keith. It's a colossal and beautiful land. Great place to live. (Unless you're a human being). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At least our land doesn't blow up and melt! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We have lots of different varieties of cattle
Distances between towns are not huge
Our roads are safe and well mainrained
And tour operators don't see any danger in travelling on these roads, so they don't add rollcages...
So us humans are as safe as houses! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: