Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My buddy and I are thinking about a dive trip to Key Largo with my TI to do some diving Dec. 12-15, 2014. I have read a similar post about the kayaking / diving in the keys and fusioneng and others provided some very helpful advice. I was hoping to get some expert advice on the following idea in particular (or better alternatives):

- Trailer the TI behind the truck to Key Largo (I live in Georgia), stay at Hampton Inn in Key Largo (I actually prefer hammock camping on the beach in the ten thousand islands, but apparently Key Largo is a bit developed for that) :).
- Put in at Garden Cove Park, a side-of-the-road put in point about 5 miles north of Hampton Inn on Garden Cove Road (I'm a little worried about parking and leaving the truck and trailer).
- Pedal / Sail out to North Dry Rocks. 5 miles out seems do-able in a stock TI, but fusioneng's comments about the current and winding up in North Caroline has me a bit spooked!

I'm very comfortable with multi-day trips to the ten thousand islands, but this trip is new to me - in location, in distance offshore, and that I'm easing back into shallow scuba diving after a hiatus.

Is this trip feasible? Are there any particular precautions or areas of naivety that could get us into trouble? Any particular tips regarding what weather patterns, etc to look out for?

Also, information I've read on this forum specific to using the TI as a dive platform have been very helpful and much appreciated. Any additional nuggets of knowledge are much appreciated as well.

I've only had my TI since August, and these forums have been very helpful and entertaining. Hopefully soon I'll be contributing to the knowledge base!

Thanks much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Totch:
Sorry, I don't mean to scare you off, we are mostly down around Key West, where KW is just a tiny spec, and if you get blown off course and miss the island your pretty screwed (next stop Cuba).
As long as you know the weather is going to hold up ok you should be ok, but of course you need the required CG safety gear, wouldn't hurt to have an FM radio (just in case). The main thing is to file a float plan with someone, who can notify help if you are overdue.
The inner edge of the gulfstream runs about one mile east of the Carysfort light house in that area (about 6 miles off shore), the light house is just north of where you will be (you will be near Christ Abys) so you should be ok. We have dove at Molasses reef a few times (just south of where your going) and the current isn't too bad there as long as you don't get too far out past the reefs. The only time the gulfstream current could get you in trouble is if you have a strong offshore wind (from the west) or strong from the south. I would have second thoughts about going out there in those conditions (even with my TI).
You will want to strap your tanks to the rear AKA bars (we strap up to two tanks on each side of the boat typically), make sure they are secure.
My opinion is if you don't dive a lot, I would be just to go out on a dive charter (they are not expensive), and leave the TI at the Hotel that day. Take the TI out other days, but just for snorkeling, and bumming around (staying closer to shore), why complicate things with all that gear and prep. A stock TI in light winds, could take 2-3 hrs to get out there. You will probably need a wetsuit this time of year.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks so much for that excellent information, Bob. Especially where the wind and currents are concerned, this will help us look for warning signs.

As for chartering a dive boat vs. using the TI, yes it would be easier and probably even cheaper in the long run. For us, though, the challenge of kayaking out there is at least half of the fun. The challenge of figuring out how to use the TI for diving (incorporating the information on this forum), is another 25% of the fun. If I just get a chance to unfurl the sail, I'll call it a fun trip. I had no idea how much fun sailing the TI would be when I bought it.

Having said that, we are also relatively cautious, so if the signs aren't in our favor, we will back up and try something different. Although we don't have a marine VHF, we'll be taking a Spot device with us in case we get into trouble and our phones don't work out there. We need one of those for some of our ten thousand islands trips we do anyway.

Thanks again,
Walter (my real name)