Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've heard there's some monster carp in the Murray Changeman. I like the sticking noodles in the hull idea which would give more boyancy if holed without the weight component. Sounds like i'll be ok from white pointer attack but if i do get attacked i'll try to get some good footage. There have been some attacks on kayaks in WA but their hulls were fibreglass which splinters rather than the plastic which flexes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, I'm a bit embarrassed (get the sword ready) because I have complained about the increase in weight of the 2015 AI. However, previously, I said there should be an "expedition" AI and admitted that would entail an increase in weight. I hope and suspect that Hobie has, in fact, put some of the additional weight on the AI into strengthening it in "all the right places." When I look at all the improvements that Hobie has made on the AI, it is pretty incredible. How it sails? Well, we will have to wait and see, nevertheless, I expect it to be very good. I'm thinking of ways that ease hauling this heavier AI up the beach above the high tide line.

This discussion has been very beneficial from my viewpoint. I see people on leisure camping trips--husband and wife--greatly overloading their TIs. When they encounter rough seas their boats leak badly via the front hatch. Justifiably, this causes them much distress, and, as with my one friend, they may sell their TI. Your inner cover, either neoprene or nylon, ought to be standard equipment--maybe Hobie will come out with something or stop the flexing.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have pulled out every floating foam peace that was fitted in by Hobie in my AI 2012. There is maybe some increased risk when I am sailing with an empty hull but normally, on a camping tour, all my packing are stuffed in water tight bags and they all will act as floating devices. Then main hull is so fully stuffed with bags and water tight boxes that the water amount, that could possible get in, is not enough to sink the AI. Even in Adventure mode without amas.

But if you fill an empty hull totally, without any floating foam peaces inside the hull, I belive the AI will actually sink. In Adventure mode without amas.

br
thomas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I understand it, rotomolded polyethylene has a density of 0.93 g/cc. Fresh water is 1.00 g/cc. Saltwater is about 1.02 g/cc. Without any hardware on an Adventure hull, it should float, especially in saltwater. Now, the hardware may add to the average density, and it may sink, but I doubt it would in saltwater. In any case, it would not need much floatation to float. The amas, for sure, would keep it above water.

When I first got my used 2011 AI, the lines immediately snagged a piece of floatation material and the block literally popped out of its location. After that, I removed some, but not all floatation--I didn't want the lines getting caught up with the floatation. With dry bags and boxes in the hull, the AI should float if swamped. I know mine did when I swamped it (operator error) on a camping trip. You can read about that at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=180 Chokoloskee to Flamingo, Jan 16-23, 2012 An Inauspicious Beginning: One Sunken AI, One Empty Bottle of Scotch

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Boy our US friends get technical with density etc. Good reading though guys.

Skipper if a monster carp does take hold of your TI, don't forget it is illegal to
let them back in the water. You will have to take it on board and sail to the
nearest bank to release on dry land. :lol: