Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In anticipation of my new 2015 TI (assuming it actually materializes), I had my local dock builder construct a platform off my dock on the St Johns river here in Jacksonville, FL. The platform is about 15 feet wide and 16.5 feet long. When not in use, the platform sits at the same level as the dock. To launch the TI it submerges beneath the water allowing the TI to float away.

My question: how easily can the TI amas/outriggers be folded in? I know it's not difficult, but is it feasible to sail the TI then pedal the mirage drive back on my platform but bring in the Amas on the fly? What about with trampolines installed?

The reason I'm asking is that I originally planned to use the platform for both the TI and my jet ski. To fit both on the platform simultaneously, at least one of the amas will need to be folded in as ski is a little over 4 feet wide. Ive obviously gone to a lot of trouble to make it easy for my three sons and I to use the TI. I'm a big believer in - the less hassle it is to use it, the more we will use it.

If you guys tell me retracting the Ama every time I want to take it out for 45 minutes after work, at this point I can relocate the jet ski to it's own lift. Need to decide now bc they are ready to install cradle for jet ski

I'll throw some photos up of set up if anyone wants to see - but would appreciate feedback on this as I don't yet have TI to answer question for myself
Brad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You will have to take the tramps down to fold the amas. Basically, you unsnap 6 buckles, the tramps will drop, then you can undo the support brace and fold the ama in. Probably takes about 45 seconds to do both sides. Once folded in you can bunch up the tramps and secure them (they have a bungie built in for this purpose).

A few thoughts:
1. This would have to be with the sail furled, only pedal/paddle power. With the amas out and the sail unfurled there is a greater chance of capsize.
2. It will take a little longer to rig in this fashion, as you would launch folded, then unfold on the water. Rigging the tramps on the water is a challenge as they have to be put on loose and then the buckle straps are progressively tightened. Maybe 5 minutes total time, with some chance of falling in the water.
3. Many of us use "anti-fold" lines running from the bow to the outboard end of the fo'rd akas, in the rare case of the aka brace bolt failing this line will keep the amas from folding in unintentionally (followed by capsize). KayakingBob's spray skirts serve this function as well, and cut down on the spray (you will want this for winter sailing on the St. Johns!). They are certainly not required, but a popular mod, and again add complexity to the fold-in routine.

Hakas can make things easier - still tricky to fold with them depending on how you make them. I like and use both hakas and tramps. I agree wholeheartedly that the simpler/faster to use, the more you will use it.

Either way you will have fun! I lived in Jax Beach for 10 years and LOVED boating the intracoastal! Monster redfish!
Aloha
RH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Brad, what a great setup.
Without hakas or tramps it only takes a few seconds to fold in the amas from the rear seat.
We often do that when going for lunch at the many pubs at Port Adelaide as below.
The only reason both amas are folded as it makes turning the TI to go back out, easier.
If you have say one foot clearance above the frame, you can do short strokes on the
mirage drives thus keeping them close to horizontal in shallow water. I'll bet eventually
you will be able to sail into the pen as you have so much control with the furling main.
Don't forget to raise the dagger board and eventually the rudder, dependant on the
depth above the frame.
I hope it is a secure pen. Even so you may wish to remove the mirage drives as they
are a little expensive to replace.
I just wish I had that setup as it takes me about an hour to launch from the top of my car.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for feedback to both of you. Sounds like without trampolines attached things are fairly pain free. In the end I'm adding separate lift for the jet ski which should give me plenty of room to just keep Amas extended.

Here are a couple pics of setup. My 2015 TI is allegedly shipping tomorrow. Super stoked but will believe when my dealer confirms its on the truck.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now you are teasing us Brad as I can't see the photos.
All is forgiven as you are new to this site; only if you add the photos. :lol:

You have to save them to a site that is available to the public.
I use a public folder in dropbox.
I then right click on the photo and copy the address to the clipboard.
Then in the post, start a line with [img]then%20paste%20the%20address%20then%20add[/img].

Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Brad,
Shy of re-posting the photos using Brian's suggestions, would you mind describing the set-up on your platform, particularly how the two amas are supported? I am trying to figure out how to rig my boat lift for my recently ordered TI, and am considering mounting a set of Hobie's TI Cradles to it (seen here: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/174 ... e-Set.html). But if there is a cheaper way to accomplish my goal, I'd love to know. Here is the thread where I describe my situation in more detail if you're interested: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=53737&p=248948#p248948 .

Like others, I'm also jealous of your set-up. Sounds terrific!

--Steve