Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mate, if this "dealer" was a good dealer he would have ensured the whole boat was good to go BEFORE it was packed.

There is a thing called Operating Procedures, before a boat goes out from our shop, the boat and all its equipment and accessories are packed and checked. Operation of the boats functions are also checked.

Your situation would certainly not have happened in our shop, and if human error was to blame (as sometimes it does), recompense would be undertaken immediately.

I don't know all the facts, but, I would be carrying out the actions you have described in your earlier post with no hesitation (Ref CC Company) based on the information you have presented.

I am a passionate Hobie Kayak sales person and I love my job, events like this greatly disappoint me.

XD.

Last edited by xdcammer on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

XDCammer, I couldn't agree more, mate. Thanks for the feedback from all you guys, Tony, Tom, XD.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Couldn't agree more with xdcammer, put a hold on the credit card immediately, and only release funds when any promises made to you are transformed into satisfactory fixes in your hands.

I find it particulary repulsive that we are hearing of such cynical behaviour of a dealer where the big distance between dealer and customer seems to have been a major factor.

That "rogue" dealer's behaviour is made all the worse given the huge contrast to the generally excellent behaviour of all the other Hobie dealers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This deal just gets stranger by the minute. After contacting my CC bank rep to make a claim, they contacted the authorized Hobie store contact person, where I bought the kayak, to check on the validity of my claim. The contact person at the authorized Hobie dealer, who the charge was from, did not have any record of this transaction. End of conversation, chargeback, full credit.
Question, will I ever be contacted by this Hobie dealer over this mishandled used TI transaction? Or is there fraud on their end and/or denial of this transaction ever occurring. Weird??
It was an original craigslist listing, no authorized Hobie dealer identification in the listing. Not until email reply was this fact made known, authorized Hobie dealer.
When I asked for additional items to be included with the TI, they said they didn't have them, like both cradles. Said to order them separate in a couple weeks.
I never received an invoice or any official form to sign for the CC.

Good news, I've ordered the necessary replacement parts from ACK/Trailex and should have them in a few weeks, being brought down by a family member. Will hopefully be fully functional in less than a month.
NOTE: ACK is not the Hobie dealer from the "breaking bad" TI transaction. I've had nothing but outstanding service from ACK, in Austin, TX.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, sounds like great news, congrats mate.

You will be sailing and fishing before I am. :-(

That was a very strange situation though.

Glad it all worked out.

Old Jungle saying; "NEVER NEVER NEVER, buy a yak on spec, it will bite you in the arse."

Cheers, from an old soldier.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Now I'm wondering if it was stolen and that someone was trying to pull a fast one.
You'll find out when the perpetrator finds out that he didn't get paid and tries to bully you into paying up.
That's when it gets really interesting !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Salty Dawg wrote:
Now I'm wondering if it was stolen and that someone was trying to pull a fast one.
You'll find out when the perpetrator finds out that he didn't get paid and tries to bully you into paying up.
That's when it gets really interesting !

Hmmm interesting Salty, never thought of that senario.

Well if they want payment that's fine….pay them…..minus the money for all the bits that were missing. Too easy.
Just keep all the receipts for the extras as proof C R, your doing nothing wrong.

Last edited by xdcammer on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, my imagination has gone into warp mode! So right now, you have a TI with lots of shortcomings, which has cost you nothing :mrgreen:

I think the seller has a problem...

Enjoy your TI mate, you have enough good bits on it to make it happen!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mark,
Was that your papaya TI I passed in Jaco last week? You were going the other way and I lost you by the time we turned around.
I was down visiting my Sister in San Isidro for 3 months and was fantasizing mightily about having my yak down there.
You must have the only TI there .... Hopefully you've straightened out your issues with the dealer and have been on the water.
Wondering if you get around to Golfito, Punta Arenas, Puerto Viejo?
How is the sailing? .......Other issues with the yak there? (Other than parts :? )
I'm back in N Cal as of two days ago and looking forward to getting " back in the saddle" , cold water and all. I going to miss that warm water.
Fair Winds,
Don. Mango 2014

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mark,
I just caught up on early forum mail and realize this just happened with the whatever/whoever.
More timely than I was thinking. Glad it's working out. Sounds like some scammers.
I'd be real interested in your experiences around there. I think a Lot of fun. I've thought about it.
Sailing and Swimming in Warm Water Forever! :D
Enjoy
Don

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Don,
Yes, it would have been me. I think I'm the only TI owner in CR. All my Hobies are Papaya. I did work it out with the dealer and have the TI up to standards. Caught a few Dorado's this past Monday, but had to go clear across the bay, 20 miles to find some, nice stiff Northwest breeze early in the morning. Shore fishing has been a bit slow lately. Have not launched from any other areas other than nearby Jaco. For the AI and TI with amas out, you need some protection from the swell. Otherwise it's the Revo 13 for a wild entry/exit. Send me a private message with contact info for any further info.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CR Yaker wrote:
I did work it out with the dealer and have the TI up to standards.

Ohh no you don't - you can't take us on this wild kayak ride of getting hosed by some spectre of a dealer and then the thought of getting it for free .. and wind the whole tale up with a Gilda Radner "Nevermind .. all worked out"

We need a proper ending to this story !!

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PassWind wrote:
CR Yaker wrote:
I did work it out with the dealer and have the TI up to standards.

Ohh no you don't - you can't take us on this wild kayak ride of getting hosed by some spectre of a dealer and then the thought of getting it for free .. and wind the whole tale up with a Gilda Radner "Nevermind .. all worked out"

We need a proper ending to this story !!

Ha ha, love that Gilda Radner quote.
The President of the authorized Hobie dealer outfit got ahold of me (of course after the chargeback and Hobie pressure), to apologize and make amends. We agreed to a discount of $800. So for 3k I got a TI 2013 that just needed a little love. Cost me $580 to get it here. It's running beautifully. Have been on a 50-60 mile excursion a few times already. Love it.

Moral of the story is: As an authorized Hobie dealer, never sell a used kayak unless it's 100 percent up to spec standards. Also don't make major mistakes like guarantee the wrong year of manufacturing. I think this major dealer knows very well just how many things went wrong with this transaction. Lesson learned for them.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So the saga continues.
Today I snapped my Main mast on this used TI I received. Be it, it was in light winds, probably ready to go, not from my use.

At $762, I'm going to attempt a warranty claim. Not happy about my choices here, since I don't have an official receipt from the dealer in Miami and I'm not happy about going thru them. Contacted them today, let's see how that goes?
I see we have a new Hobie dealer in Costa Rica. Called them to see if I could get parts thru them. Typical Tico style they told me they only sell boats. LOL, got a long way to go to get to Hobie standards.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A dealer in Miami? I bought a Revo 13 from a private seller who claimed the boat was a 2011 model purchased from a dealer in 2012 and had a receipt as proof. The receipt was from Liquid Surf & Sails in Miami and described the boat as a 2011 year model, but the HIN showed the boat was a 2009. He was also given a V1 Mirage drive, instead of a V2, when he purchased the boat which seemed strange to me since the 2009 has Click-n-go and the V1 pedals would not fit it properly. If this is the same dealer you got your TI from, it seems like this is common practice for them.