Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI Trailer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi guys anyone have a link or price for a trailer suited for an AI? I'm in Hervey bay QLD but willing to travel or have one shipped up.

Thanks Roller

Post subject: Re: AI Trailer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roller,
I've been very happy with the 880GA Easytrailer from Carlex:
http://www.easytrailer.com.au/marine_sp ... ilers.html
You do have to assemble it yourself and it does come from China but the same spec'd trailer would cost about double from a trailer manufacturer.
To fit the AI you would just need to extend the rear a bit. Cantilevering some 50mmRHS works well. You don't even need to weld it ...just use U-bolts:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a similar converted utility trailer to Stringy's that I got from Harbor freight in the us. It's a steel 4x4 utility trailer, I don't have the cool upper rack though. Instead of spending a fortune on the Hobie cradles I sit the boat on two parallel 1 1/4 PVC tubes running lengthwise up the center of the trailer on 11 inch centers. I use my setup mostly in salt water every weekend and the salt takes a huge toll on the steel frame very quickly ( 1-2 yrs max). As each steel part rusts out I replace with aluminum. Most of the $140 dollar trailer has now been replaced with aluminum now after two years about $200 dollars worth of aluminum. That's all with regularly wire brushing the trailer down and re painting every 3-4 months. The way I figure things I'm still way less than half the cost of an aluminum trailer, but maint is a (censored). If you don't want to work on your trailer monthly, get an aluminum one yea I saved a few bucks but the hassle wasn't worth it.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
If you don't want to work on your trailer monthly, get an aluminum one yea I saved a few bucks but the hassle wasn't worth it.
Bob

Or get a hot dipped galvanised trailer ...which is what the Easytrailer 880GA is!
I'm surprised it doesn't seem to be available over in the US, as the Harbor Freight trailers look the same as the Easytrailer versions available here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea, Bob rusted out his wife's suv, now he has given up on his cheap, iron trailer, but he is learning--that is the fun part. Just teasing you, Bob. 8)

Personally, the Trailex aluminum trailers are great. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=435 Scroll down until you come to the description of how to assemble a Trailex trailer kit.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

@Stringy. Mark, you've almost got me ready to pull the trigger on one of those trailers mate. From my new place, I can look down and see how the wind and sea are running at Terrigal. It's very tempting to be able to have the boat in the water in a few minutes. Of course, once a trailer enters the picture, getting a TI becomes a more attractive prospect. Does the Carlex require much more elaborate modification for a TI than it does for an AI?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Terrigal Chris?
Wow! Now we can have first hand info on conditions. So when are we doing the run down to Pretty Beach via Maitland Bay?
Just let me know when you're available and conditions are good.
Re the trailer ...The trick with getting it to fit is extending the rear. That way the trailer remains balanced. The simplest way of achieving this is to cantilever some 50mm RHS galvanised tube by U-bolting to the trailer framework. I haven't drilled any holes in the trailer frame itself. I'd say the only difference in the mod would be to allow 60cm more for the TI. I really like the 3 cradles but the PVC pipe bunks that others have reported using should also work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got an aluminium "folding" trailer from www.boathoist.com.au for my AI. Works pretty well for my needs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice trailer John.

For some reason aluminium trailers aren't that readily available downunder. :?

Chris, that smart, stylish and trendy Boathoist trailer might be more in keeping with your new postcode! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Chris, that smart, stylish and trendy Boathoist trailer might be more in keeping with your new postcode! :wink:

Hmm, I wonder if they have anything in titanium 8) .
Thanks for the trailer info stringy. Despite my new postcode, I do like the price of the Carlex trailer. I'd be up for a run down the coast for sure. We could take two boats or both go in your TI. There seems to be a pretty reliable sea breeze springs up each afternoon, about 12-15 knots. I'm looking forward to going out for a couple of hours each evening, which is why I'm thinking about a trailer. Somehow 20 minutes loading it on, then three minutes drive, then 20 minutes taking it off doesn't seem a great use of time, especially when I have to do it all over again on the way back home.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
Nice trailer John.

For some reason aluminium trailers aren't that readily available downunder. :?

It's a great trailer for when I go away with the caravan. I put the AI on the roof of my car and the trailer pulls to bits and goes into the van. When I get to where I'm going I set the AI up on the trailer for nice and easy launch/retrieves.

As it aluminium, it only weighs 42kg so not much extra weight in the van. It has no suspension, but as the AI is so light I haven't found it a problem. I've towed it on a 250km round trip at 100kmh no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a nice piece of kit John. Being able to pull it down and put it in the caravan sure sounds handy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bit further market research. The Carlex trailer is actually $990 to buy (delivered). That compares with $1445 (pickup) for John's Boathoist, so that's 50% more. For that you get aluminium and I gather it needs no further modification to carry an AI, other than cradles. The Boathoist does not come with a lightboard. It's unclear if the Carlex does. The lack of suspension on the Boathoist would be a deal breaker if you wanted to take it anywhere rugged. Also, 1/2 - 1 day is recommended to assemble the Carlex plus time to extend it at the rear, whereas I gather the Boathoist takes about 20 minutes. I must say I can't see how the Boathoist looks any more trendy or stylish than the Carlex. They both just look like trailers to me. Interestingly, the Boathoist looks like it comes with something resembling the pipe bunks which everyone has been talking about.

Which way are you leaning, Roller?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,
The 880GA has gone up in price since I got mine 5 years ago. I paid around $650 but I had to go to Sydney to pick up the boxes. Delivery to the CC was another $100 back then from memory. It took me, pretty much, a full day to put it together. You will also need to purchase a spare and then get it inspected for rego. It doesn't come with a light board, just lights. I replaced them with led lights which I got from a light board at Supercheap on special.
If you download the Easytrailer catalogue you will see my first version for carrying the AI in their promo pics just before the 880GA specs. They sent me a spare for my permission to use it! I used Rhino roof rack bars and kayak cradles for mounting. These are still what I use on the AI today.

The negative with the boat hoist is the lack of suspension and the wheels look to be smaller with a reduced speed rating.

Ebay has other options as well that might be worth checking out:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/trailer-boat ... 2346b12bb5

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GALVANIZED-B ... 4abf836d48

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Stringy. I like the look of the Carlex, but I know bugger all about metal fabrication. I have no idea how to rip a piece of RHS. Now if it was made of wood........ The suspension is a big thing, but I literally just need something to travel 800 metres along Scenic Highway. For more ambitious trips, I would still load the boat on the roof.