Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What next?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been looking at the BlueTooth speakers as well. I noticed Hobie has one in their August 2015 Catalog. Not sure about cost, but here are the part numbers.

72026100 FUGOO TOUGH SPEAKER
72026101 FUGOO UNIVERSAL MOUNT
72026102 H-RAIL UNIVERSAL MOUNT

Might be something to consider.

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd would be nice if hobie put prices in the catelog.

2015 Tandem Island-ivory dune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Whew! $229 just for the speaker

2015 Tandem Island-ivory dune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, I'm still liking that $99 Scosche H20 and just plop it in the water bottle holder.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I almost picked up the Scosche speaker this morning, my kayak shop has them in stock for $99. I'm not normally keen on noise on the water, but occasionally it'd be nice to have something to occupy my mind - like when I'm slowly pedaling my way back across the lake after the wind dies...

I asked the shop owner about it and he said it sounds really good, like a Bose speaker.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone find a waterproof speaker/mp3 player combo? I love tunes on the water and the braven is awesome but i dont like killing my phone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought the Fugoo (Tough) last year...

I have used it for camping and the like. I plan to mount it on my TI this season.

It sounds great. I have been impressed with the battery life as well.

It could be a touch louder but all in all, I am really happy with it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found 8" Yakattack aluminum gear tracks mounted with their backing plates in the wider areas forward of the map pockets to be very useful. With those you can swap out any brand of base you want, Ram, Scotty, Railblaza or home made. Currently I have Scotty quick release mounts fixed to base plates made from black plastic cutting board (Target) that are configured to allow mounting to the tracks with Yakattack flange bolts and their knobs that can be had on their own.

I made up two 6' ropes with carabiners on both ends to tie off to docks. I keep them in the map pockets. In the 4 Scotty mounts mounted to the track, I keep their fender rings to snap the carabiners too. To protect the amas from getting scratched up from the dock, I got some small Atwood boat fenders with short ropes tied on and more carabiners. I just wrap them around the akas and let them dangle between the ama and the dock. That way, I dont have to scrape up the hull on the rough ramps when I go to park or back the trailer in. Been out 7 times so far and not even the first scratch.

I dont leave the seats in the boat when traveling so at Wallyworld (Walmart) I found duffle bags big enough to hold both the seats. Got another for PFDs and float cushions that make good head rest if friends want to lay down on the tramps.

Lastly, I added 2 more short tracks to the left side of the aka cross bars. I plan to install 2 home made plates for compasses when I get them.

Stuff you may want to consider but can't go wrong with adding the tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
Anyone find a waterproof speaker/mp3 player combo? I love tunes on the water and the braven is awesome but i dont like killing my phone.

Since I just have a basic i pod, I opted for one of these.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/79 ... gN68P8HAQ/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[/quote][quote="Drewyaker" I made up two 6' ropes with carabiners on both ends to tie off to docks. I keep them in the map pockets. ]

I just bought some dock lines last night and since I still don't have my TI yet, I was wondering is there a good place to attach them in the bow? Can this same attachment be used to pull the kayak on the trailer? I was also looking at the carabiners last night, but didn't buy any. I was not sure they would be the right thing to attach.

thanks
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron,
Bear wih me as I try to explain my setup.
Tie a 4mm braided line to the front crossbar.
Attach an "O" shaped shackle (the ones which close with a screw collar on one side) to the bow fitting (where the handle is attached).
Thread the line through the shackle. This is your base anchor/bow line.
Make a loop on the other end of this line for attachment to other components (see below)
Take another line (at least 3mm and a different colour about metres long.
Attach another "O" shackle to the end of this line, tying off the other end to the crossbar too.
Open this shackle and attach it to the anchor line >outside< the line coming from the bow shackle. This will be your retrieve line.
When you deploy the anchor attached to the anchor line, your TI will hang obediently off the anchor from the bow.
When you want to retriece the anchor, pull on the retrieve line, which willl bring back a loop of the anchor line to the cockpit.
As you bring more anchor line into the cockpit, you will then lift the anchor over the aka, and then tidy things up.

How to keep it all tidy?
I loop the anchor line and then feed it under the bow hatch bungee >from the mast end< so when I grab it, it all comes free.
I do the same with the shorter retrieve line.

Other anchor qear.
I also keep two other anchor lines, each with a loop on one end and a galvanized "D" shackle on the other, so they can all be joined together, one of 25 metres and the other of 50 metres (I leave the latter at home unless on offshore trips)
At the bottom end, I have a blue Cooper plastic anchor, with 3 metres of 12mm braided cord (Just had it lying around). (Never attach chain directly to a Cooper anchor, as its extra weight can cause the anchor to lie on its side and not dig into the seabed).
I then add 1.5metres of chain if conditions require it, followed by either the basic 10, and the 25 and/or the 50 metre line, giving my a maximum total of 89.5 metres. If I ever need more than that, I shouldn't be anchoring there!!!

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tony. I don't have my TI yet, but your explanation seems pretty detailed, so I should be able to follow. I appreciate the information. I will bookmark this and walk through when I have something to look at and actually work on.

Thanks
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony, where did you find that 1 in fitting for the cup holder used to drain the hull?

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

riverron wrote:
Thanks Tony. I don't have my TI yet, but your explanation seems pretty detailed, so I should be able to follow. I appreciate the information. I will bookmark this and walk through when I have something to look at and actually work on.

Thanks
Ron

Here's a diagram to assist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
Tony, where did you find that 1 in fitting for the cup holder used to drain the hull?

Probably not much help to you Greg, but I ordered it from a catalog produced by the Boating Industry Association. This catalog includes most of the chandlery items Australian marine dealers might need. It wasn't expensive. PM me if you want help buying one from Oz.