Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vantage seat security
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Vantage seat has a short leash at the rear with a keyhole shaped fitting that fits over a hull mounted button.
The keyhole fitting takes only ounces of finger pressure to disengage from the button, then if you raise the rear of the seat the cam on the front height adjusting mechanism allows the seat to be removed.
IMO the keyhole fitting isn't secure enough. I'm in the process of replacing it with something like a short loop of spectra to the button and maybe a small carabiner to make it easy to remove the seat. The length of that little leash is what keeps the seat from rotating to the position where the front disengages. I put a velcro cable tie (the type that loops through itself like a noose ) around the hull mounted height adjustment and the seat crossbar to prevent the seat lifting off regardless of how high the rear of the seat is lifted.
I was curious if others have similar concerns or better ideas for securing the seat.
I don't know if this has been discussed but next time I take the boat out I want to drop a Vantage seat in the water and see if it floats.

- Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine aren't that loose, though they are different degrees of "tight" for some reason. It's apparently something about the buttons, as I'm sure I've used both seats in both positions on the TI.

The front one is fairly easy to snap on/off, but still is tight enough I'm not concerned about it falling off on its own. The back one is TIGHT. Takes a fair amount of force to snap on/off and definitely isn't going anywhere on its own.

I've not thought about strapping the seat down for security, but I have given thought to keeping it from angling up on me when leaning forward. I'm starting to get used to it, but at first that was VERY disconcerting. I'm used to my seats staying solidly put when I move around. Even the lawn chair-style seat on my Coosa is firmly secured with a web strap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am 
Site Admin

The CT seat does not float.

A secondary rod leash or a strap around the forward bar and seat would all work for extra security.

That just makes install and removal harder and more time consuming, but if you leave the seats in? Why not!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes that is what I was thinking. Might as well leave the seats on the boat, one less thing to do. I was more concerned about them coming off of the trailer in the wind than off of the boat in the water. I'll probably put a bungee across the folded seat back for transport so they aren't up in the wind.

Thanks

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi! Chris, How do you tie down your long pole/sail with the seat on? I don't have much space in my corolla so it would be nice if I can have both the seat and pole tied down on the boat. Do you have a picture of your trailer/boat setup? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, look at the thread that says "PVC bunks" to see my trailer but it isn't going to be helpful for what you want to do. I have an upper deck I am currently lashing the covered sail and mast to until I figure out if I can put a pvc pipe carrier on the trailer somewhere.
For what you want to do the Vantage seat backs are too high when folded to allow you to lash the mast across the aka crossbars but I think you already figured that out. I think you are stuck with having to remove the seats. The rear one at least looks like it might fit in the rear drivewell.

Another caution on the seats is that the engagement of the cam on the front of the seat is a little finicky. I have thought it was secured then lifted it right off on one side or both. That gives me enough motivation to put a velcro wrap around it just to be sure it isn't going to come off.

- Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes I did noticed that too on my seat. Cant remember which one. Its held up tight in one side but not in the other. I have to repeatedly reinstall until both sides are fully engaged to the bar. I'll observe and try to understand the locking mechanism and see if theres something to fix.
Anyone ahead of us, please share.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Add a short length of webbing strap under the button and sew around seat base and connect with snap buckle and use as back up. Fast to connect and disconnect.
https://www.google.com/search?q=snap+bu ... B126%3B125

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the buckle and webbing idea. I'm now thinking of just replacing the button with a padeye if there is enough clearance behind the seat. Probably have to blind rivet it on. Cut the keyhole piece off of the seat and replace with a small carabiner or brass clip. Then add a second strap or bungee cord from the padeye to hold the seat back upright during use. It would be convenient if the same one could also be used for holding the seat back down during transport by clipping it on another place.

- chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is how I secured my Vantage seats.
Replaced the red buttons with bungee hooks like the ones on the front hatch.
Put a loop of cord through the hole in the bungee hook.
(I would have preferred to have a cleat but with only one brass insert I would need to drill another hole and put a blind rivet on one side. I may still do that later, it would look neater. )
Replaced the small line coming out of the rear of the seat with a longer one and put a small quick link at the end.

I put a wide captive velcro cable wrap around the front cross bar of the seat.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my 2015 AI, I added thin, strong leashed to the rear aka like on my other Islands. The added benefit is to holds the seat leash on it's eyelet post from both sides making it near impossible to ever come off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, I just spent about 2 hrs bouncing around in rough seas with my AI 2 capsized, and my Vantage CT seat never budged from its "key" attachment. (see "2015 AI Capsize" http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=54465) I just can't see what all the commotion is about. Rather than the inconvenience of a Velcro strap, simply get a more positive tether, like on the Mirage drive--if you think the standard one is not secure enough. How often do you think you are going to capsize & perhaps lose your Vantage seat?

Just read your note, KB. Enough said.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm just following Bob's lead. :lol:

The velcro suits my needs because I will leave the seats in place on the boat permanently. It's easy to remove if needed. I felt that the keyhole on the seat strap was a weak link in the seats security.

- Chris