Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

@Skymax,
I have a 2015 TI and I've done both, floating it off the trailer (probably why my trailer lights stopped working) and moved the boat on and off at just the waters edge. I have a winch but haven't mounted it yet. Obviously floating the TI onto the trailer was the easiest, but with two people you can pick the TI up and slide it on without too much trouble. With the AI being a bit lighter I would think that one person shouldn't have too much trouble getting the boat onto the trailer by themselves. If you plan on dunking the trailer lights I would highly recommend either making sure you have submersible tail lights (mine did not) or just plan on replacing light bulbs on a regular basis. I went ahead and just replaced the lights with submersible LED.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Tom thanks for taking the time to reply, it seems there is no method I am unaware of.

I'm in Salt water so dunking the lights would cause massive problems, unless the Hobie trailer has submersible lights?

You're mod with the LED's sounds good, I did not know about that.

Some trailers have the Lights on a detachable board so I guess I could rig that up, are there any things I should do to the wheel hubs after immersion, flush with fresh water after dunking?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

I always tried to stop with only the rubber of the trailer tire touching the water. That typically leaves a lot of the trailer or boat hanging over the water for a simple slide into the water or back out.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
I always tried to stop with only the rubber of the trailer tire touching the water. That typically leaves a lot of the trailer or boat hanging over the water for a simple slide into the water or back out.

Sounds like a good plan :wink:

Things corrode fast enough here living close to the beach without dunking as well.

PS: How about using a C-TUG strap-on cart attached to the stern when Trailer loading/unloading?

The reason I usually put the 24Cm Trax beach cart in is mainly to stop the stern scraping when the bow is raised/lowered from the trailer, because I am doing this alone.