Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some people have more obstacles to their enjoyment than others... Here is a public safety notice posted in Townsville, in northern Queensland Australia I found on a kayak fishing forum. Plainly, 4 metre long aggressive crocodiles, in amongst the suburbs, are a problem!

Quote:
A dangerous four metre crocodile is lurking at the Bohle River boat ramp, prompting a warning from the Queensland Government for boaties and fishers to stay well away from the area.

The warning comes after the crocodile behaved aggressively towards three young men fishing off the bank overnight.

The animal began approaching the bank where the fishermen were standing, but as an EHP wildlife boat approached its vicinity, the crocodile changed its direction and struck the vessel.

Officers from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) will be at the site to ask people not to use the area while attempts are being made to remove the animal.

These steps are in the interest of public safety, which is our priority.

EHP asks people to take our advice seriously and not to risk their lives as there is a large crocodile in the water that has shown signs of aggressive behaviour.

It is possible this animal is one of the two crocodiles seen at Pallarenda and environs over the past two weeks.

Two additional traps have been set in the Bohle River, taking the number to five. There is a further trap at Pallarenda, making a total of six traps in the Townsville region.

Members of the public are urged to remain vigilant, avoid areas where wildlife officers are attempting to remove the animal, and under no circumstances interfere with any crocodile trap.

Fishers are also reminded to dispose of fish frames and leftover bait properly as they can attract crocodiles.

The department thanks the community for their patience as officers carry out their duties.

It must always be assumed that waterways in Townsville, being "Croc Country," may contain large and potentially dangerous crocodiles. Never take unnecessary risks in crocodile habitat.

Crocodiles are known to become more mobile during summer months if looking for a mate, or in times of heavy rainfall and floods.

It's therefore important that members of the public practise "Crocwise" behaviour, in particular:

* Obey croc warning signs
* Don't swim or let domestic pets swim in waters where crocs may live
* Be aware that crocodiles also swim in the ocean
* Stand back from the water when fishing or cast netting
* Never provoke, harass or feed crocs
* Never leave food, fish scraps or bait near the water, a camp site or boat ramp
* Never interfere with or fish or boat near crocodile traps, and
* Always supervise children.

Crocodile warning signs have been placed in locations where sightings have been recorded, including the Bohle River and Pallarenda.

Crocodile sightings can be reported to EHP on 1300 130 372 and the department investigates all crocodile reports it receives.

Further information on crocodiles and being Crocwise, including video safety tips on boating and fishing in crocodile country, is available on EHP's website at http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au<http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! I sure am glad I don't have to deal with predatory wildlife. Stay safe!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony your goin to need a bigger boat (a line from the movie Jaws)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crocodile Stew
Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil

½ red onion, finely chopped

1 garlic clove, crushed

85g/3oz crocodile fillet, chopped

85g/3oz canned cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained

½ beef tomato, de-seeded and chopped

1 tbsp tomato purée

2 tbsp boiling water

1 large handful spinach leaves

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 tsp sesame seeds

Preparation method

Heat the oil in a pan and lightly fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until softened but not coloured. Add the crocodile pieces and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the crocodile is golden-brown all over.

Add the chickpeas, chopped tomato, tomato purée and water to the pan, stirring well. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1-2 more minutes, or until the crocodile is cooked through, then add the spinach. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

To serve, spoon the stew into a serving bowl and garnish with the sesame seeds.

Just Sayin :D

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Who needs gators?

We have Sea "Lions" that are starting to act more like Lions around here. This guy was on a bigger boat and one of several stories I have heard lately.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/30/california-man-recovering-after-sea-lion-yanked-him-overboard/

Quote:
A California woman was about to snap a photo of her husband holding a yellowtail fish on their 29-foot boat when a hungry sea lion leaped about 7 feet out of the water, bit into the man’s hand and yanked him overboard.

Dan Carlin, 62, was smashed by the animal against the boat’s side and sent his legs flailing in the air like a rag doll before it dragged him some 20 feet underwater earlier this month, he said Wednesday.

Underwater, the sea lion whipped the San Diego accountant side to side.

"After 15 seconds, I thought I was going to die," Carlin told The Associated Press. "I continued to struggle, but thought this is the way I was going to die. It was unbelievable to me."

As quickly as the attack occurred, Carlin was released from the sea lion’s grip. But to add insult to injury, he sea lion bit Carlin’s foot, puncturing the bone.

He managed to make his way back to his boat that was in a bay off San Diego. He and his wife moved it closer to land while his hand gushed blood and he struggled to breathe because of his battered chest. At one point, Carlin said, he lost his vision.

Carlin received 20 stiches for the gash on his hands and spent two days in the hospital.

Carlin hopes his hand will have healed enough so he can go back out fishing next week. An experienced surfer, scuba diver and fisherman, Carlin said he and his wife, Trish Carlin, always took precautions to properly dispose of any guts or carcasses to ensure they did not go in the water.

Still, his experience shows just how dangerous sea lions can be, despite the fact that people often do not fear them, Carlin said.

"So many times, you see videos of cute seals, sea lions, but I'm sharing what happened to me because I want parents to realize these are wild aggressive animals that can take you down," he said. "They should be given a wide berth. At least a small child should do that, but also just about anybody should."

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is good, Matt. Very, very good.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funnily enough, crocs are protected in Australia, so when they catch a nuisance one close to houses in Cairns, they trap them and send them to the local croc farm (which breeds crocs to order for footware and handbag manufacturers overseas). The captured crocs are released into a giant pen, and even if they die, are not allowed to be touched (to avoid the farm from profiting by "accidental" deaths), so they grow to be massive. This one is more than 3 feet wide and about 20 feet long!
I am mighty glad I live more than 2,350 kilometers away from croc territory....