Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ordered the the Single TI trailer from Hobie but wondering if Yakima's Rack and Roll 66 trailer isn't a better choice for my v2 Tandem Island? Considerably more $$, but I like the idea of folding it away for winter storage plus the independent shock absorbing suspension. Couple questions come to mind -

1) how well do the Hobie cradles fit on the R&R crossmembers?
2) is the tongue extension required given that the TI is 18' and exceeds Yakima recommended 17'?
3) an other thought from those that have one?

Any and all advice welcomed.

~Bird

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The R&R is a fine trailer, but unless something has changed, it was not suited for submersion. The trailex trailer has sealed hubs and can be submerged during direction boat launching (normal maintainence require, of course).

If the R&R has been upgraded with submersion suitable hubs, then it's a closer call. It does place the boat much higher than the Trailex which means you'd have to back in it further to float the boat.

For road trailering exclusively, the R&R independent suspension is indeed sweet.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Tom,

I purchased the Hobie Trailex Trailer for my new 2015 T1. I took it out today and did not put the wheels in the water.
So you are saying it is ok to back it into the water or do I need to do something else to the stock trailer. It would have been a lot easier to unload and load.

Also, I watched your TI sailing video a couple times before going out today. You need to copyright it for a training video! :lol: :lol:

thanks
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BirdofPrey wrote:
Ordered the the Single TI trailer from Hobie but wondering if Yakima's Rack and Roll 66 trailer isn't a better choice for my v2 Tandem Island? Considerably more $$, but I like the idea of folding it away for winter storage plus the independent shock absorbing suspension. Couple questions come to mind -

1) how well do the Hobie cradles fit on the R&R crossmembers?
2) is the tongue extension required given that the TI is 18' and exceeds Yakima recommended 17'?
3) an other thought from those that have one?
Old thread, but for the benefit of anybody coming in later with similar questions:

1) They don't: you have to make a frame like this https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN ... _AxNEIHP2K

... The frame partially defeats the "Folding Away for Winter Storage" in that you have to remove
... the frame and find a place to store it too.

2) Yes. Mine is an AI and it just fits. The TI would need the extension.

3) Get the Trailex, but get the size that can hold two boats - to give you some wiggle room vis-a-vis accessories and/or a cargo box.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Last edited by PeteCress on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

this is the way to go, combines both dolly and trailer. lamentably amybe too far for you to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1xuRFzLeik