Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Verdict
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I pick my AI 2 up on Wednesday I can't wait TBH I've been off the water for far to long. My question is for you guys that have had your AI's a while now whats the overall verdict on this new model?

Post subject: Re: The Verdict
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Comments are about my 2015 AI (the AI 2)

Pros: higher, drier ride; larger sail & taller mast resulting in increased speed; extra volume for storage; less leakage in hatches; slanted back hatch (less leakage); tacks effortlessly; Vantage CT seats (in the high and “horizontal” position); new Mirage Drive technology; drive well & alignment slot; double ama shock cords; larger front hatch opening….

Cons: weather helm in moderate to high winds; lack of handles; location of the main line cam cleat is too far forward (hard to release sail at times); aka brace shear pin may not be appropriate; lack of grab lines around perimeter (needed for man overboard); several padeyes & top hats missing; default Vantage seat rear legs not deployed (default should be with deployed legs); weight of AI 2 is 185#, not the 142# listed in specs on Hobie site….

Overall, the AI 2 is an excellent upgrade to the AI. It was long overdue.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want a month of bad weather buy a new boat, I am still waiting to float my new AI..

But I have tried the Vantage seat on my Revo 15/16 and although I was quite comfy in the old seat I quickly felt the great back support and it's especially good for dialling in the perfect Recumbent pedalling position.

Tall ppl like me may prefer to have the rear seat mounts retracted and most are more relaxed with their hips placed slightly higher over the cranks than the previous position.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for your views guys I cant wait to get mine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
default Vantage seat rear legs not deployed (default should be with deployed legs)

Default can be swapped if that is desired. For safety reasons the factory sets the default to low for best stability. for a new user (mostly in other models) the high position can be very tippy.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53911&p=250039&hilit=default+high#p250039

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think there is simpler way to fix the rear feet in the deployed position, but I haven't given it a lot of thought yet. On the Islands, I think the preferred position is with the feet deployed--it gives you a lot of space under the seat to use. Stability on an Island is not a problem as it may be on some of the SOT kayaks. As it is, the feet contract every time one leans forward in the seat--very inconvenient.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon