Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all

Long time lurker and new proud owner of a red 2014 Tandem Island on Central Coast NSW. Been out on the water a few times and loving it.

I bought it from Coffs Harbour Outdoor world as they had a good deal when clearing out their stock however mine was pre-assembled and looks like I'm missing a few little bits and pieces. I don't have a parts list so not sure of what else is missing.

I do have the essentials to get it on the water (2 x amas, sail, seats x 2, mirage x 2, oars x 2).

Extras I do have: supper plugs x 2, mirage drive port seals x 1, mirage drive cassette x 1, 1 x tackle box, 2 x drink bottles

I think I'm missing:
1 x mirage drive cassette (blank plastic that clips into mirage drive port when mirage drive not in use)
1 x mirage drive port seals (black plastic that screws onto mirage drive to provide
.. any more scupper plugs?
Other bits that people received with theirs?

thanks
Adam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The drive well seals are now part of the spine on the underside of the spine - they are no longer part of the Mirage drive. Just contact your dealer to get them to help you directly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi, I grabbed a 2015 AI in the same sale, did you buy the Red 2014 Tandem they were giving away for $AUD4,300? ($3,335.00 USD).

Did you get the Owner Booklet which has a drawing and list of all the bags and the parts within?
If not you will find it here--> http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... 141027.pdf

Because the dealer installs the battens with batten caps and often mount other hardware like the Steering Riser for you other parts that are in those bags can get misplaced.

My Kit was missing the two Replacement AKA Brace bolts/nuts, which are in addition to the spare ones stored on the Brace, Six in all.
So I saw, "Josh", who is helpful, at Outdoor who assembled it and he found the Bolts.

I also bought a Revo 15/16 and the Owner Booklet I got was for a Tandem Island so if you didn't get one I returned it to Josh and its prolly yours and you might have my Revo one lol.

You got Two drink bottles? Darn, I coudnt even get a Hobie dry bag with mine!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys

There was 2 red 2014 models on offer. I paid AUS$4500 i think, the AUS$4300 might have been the one sitting in sun a little, mine looked a little brighter in colour.

Think i have the tandem island manual, sorry cant help with the revo manual though :) . Missing the cross bar bag foam bits for transport too (i am car topping mine at moment). Dont have extra pins you mention, from the manual i couldnt tell if the pins were in addition to the ones on the crossbar.

Thanks JBernier i will have a look at the TI on the weekend (it's stored at a friends garage)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry one more question, the rudder steering on my TI is exceptionally stiff when close reaching/hauling and much better downwind, i'm 80kg pretty active and need to use my body weight to help move the rudder steer handle. If my gf and i steer at same time much easier. My gf has no hope of steering when going upwind. Any suggestions??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should really put all your effort into ensuring the rudder down line is as tight as possible. I use two hands and really pull. If this line is not really tight, the rudder can swing back a bit and cancel out the "servo-assist" provided by part of the rudder blade being in front on the pivot point. Hopefully this is what you need to do.

As regards over tight steering, the rudder steering lines should be loose enough to easily distort with a finger when straight ahead. This is because the rudder lines tighten up as steering angle increases (caused by the attachment points being ahead of the pivot point) Setting them tight at straight ahead will mean they are too tight at steering angles.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Tony, I'll give that a go next time. I dont remember really pulling that hard last time, simply pulled it down and locked it but definitely not hard.

Thanks all for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

oops..

The Pre-2015 TI Manual shows only, "Two Nylon nuts and bolts", on page 4, Parts list.
and they don't appear on the Brace drawings so you are not missing those.

So I should have sent this Link to you instead:
http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... 140612.pdf

BTW, what are the crossbar bag foam bits?

You got a great buy, I was tempted but I am already struggling with the AI weight and I don't have a co-pilot on hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe he is referring to the foam blocks which hold the akas separate while in the supplied bag, rather than have them banging against each other and suffering surface damage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yep as Tony notes, those bits of foam were apparently supplied to stop the bars banging in the bag whilst en-route.

Thanks, yep very happy with my purchase price, I had been sitting on the trigger finger for at least 8 months and was watching gumtree.com.au daily and had reviewed quite a few second hand ones but they were asking way too much then Outdoor world at Coffs came on the market. I was holding out for a potential boat show deal on the 2015 TI but couldn't justify the additional ~AUS$2000 for the new seats (amongst a few other what I perceive as minor upgrades).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would have done the same, the original seat was a good fit for me and I could sail for hours with no numb bum.

However in the case of the Revo there was not much difference in the price for the 2015 due to the sale and there were no Dune ones.

Don't always be a Lurker, we love to hear from Skippers on the East Coast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just to close off this thread, Coffs Harbour Outdoor world really looked after me, all parts were posted out without delay. Shame they're not selling Hobie anymore.

And Tony, thanks, your tip about pulling hard on the rudder drop cable made a dramatic difference, the rudder is very very smooth and easy now :)

See you all out on the water :)