Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This may sound a little weird on the surface because there is such a huge difference between the two, but my windsurfing career appears to be ending, I want to buy something to get me a few more years on the water, and the AI and Weta are at the top of my short list.

I had a chance to sail a Weta in light air and the responsiveness/maneuverability were impressive. I am thinking in terms of the "fun factor" where motion plays a big part. That thing would turn on a dime and zig-zaging downwind, hopping from chop to chop captured some of the motion sport feeling of windsurfing.

Some of the downsides are the non-impact-tolerant daggerboard, high price, and impracticality of beach storage.

Has anybody here sailed both? I'm wondering how the "motion sport" aspect of the AI stacks up. Obviously it's not nearly as fast... but I'm not looking for fast.... just feelgood....

?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Last edited by PeteCress on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:48 am 
Site Admin

Strictly considering sailing... the Weta is pretty good. But there are huge advantages to the Islands. The MirageDrive is the biggest. Being able to move under power when air light or non existent. Pedaling in narrows, channels, currents, through tacks... or just for time on the water. Then the roller furling sail. It allows for faster rigging and reefing in higher winds. The Island is a much more versatile boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was completely addicted to windsurfing for about 20 years.. nothing better than windsurfing in the right conditions but the low wind range of any set of equipment started to get to me as well as age. Last time I windsurfed (about 10 years ago), I rigged three different sails on two different boards and barely did any sailing. The changing winds were just never right.

I haven’t sailed a Weta but I sure see the attraction and if it’s pure sailing you are into, maybe the best choice. Here is what I like about the Hobie AI and TI (I had an AI for five years, now have a TI).

If you put these on a trailer, they are the easiest and fasted to setup compared to anything I’ve owned. Setup is nearly just fold out the amas, pull the bag off the sail and pop it into the base, connect a few lines and the boat is ready to launch. And.. both can still be car topped (but not easy - trailer is way better).

These also have about the largest wind range of anything I have sailed. In no wind, pedal or paddle (I usually pedal). As the wind picks up, unfurl the sail, keep pedaling or not. As the wind keeps picking up, start to furl the sail (infinitely adjustable). Even when the wind is pretty much out of hand (like you might need a 3.5 m2 windsurfing sail), just have a small amount of sail out, AI, TI still do fine. Crazy wind.. roll the sail up and pedal, the trimaran is still stable. Windsurfing for me was often about sailing in higher winds and I think the AI/TI have done a good job filling in here. Sometimes I think of them as my old guy windsurfing fix.

The AI and TI are also (for me) about going some place - i.e., taking a water hike or a water bike ride. Sailing is often reaching,going upwind or downwind, the AI or TI are often about getting to some destination or exploring.

AI and TI are also (for me) about getting some exercise pedaling. Both my wife and I (both of us not yet 60 but close) enjoy pedaling with or without the sail.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Go out to Windrider.com and check out their article "Comparing the Hobie Tandem Island to the WindRider 17". Also, Tom Kirkman has videos on both the TI and Weta. The trimarans such as the Weta are going to be a better and faster pure sailboat. That being said, the Islands are far more versatile crafts. You can use them in all kinds of conditions, and it's far easier to setup and takedown. Easier and more versatility means greater use and enjoyment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yours is a difficult post to reply to because the boats are so different. I have the older AI, which may not be as fast as the new one, but what are we talking? 10% or less difference? I also have a Weta and have over 1000 hours on it now.

At any rate, it all comes down to what you want to do. You just think the Weta was fun... wait until the wind gets into the mid to upper teens and hang on. It turns (spins) on a dime, has a wide operating range and accelerates like mad. It's very capable and the fun factor is extremely high.

But, I don't like it in single digit winds. Spoiled maybe, but it's really only fun once the wind gets cranking. At least for me.

On the other hand, the AI and TI while not as fast, are very comfortable, better for fishing, camping, long distance sailing, etc., and with the mirage drive you're never out of luck wind-wise.

The AI and TI do move pretty well, better than most small monohulls, and because you're right down on the water you get a good sensation of speed plus plenty of water and spray in your face. For all-around use they're just darn tough to beat. Extremely versatile. So many things you can do with them. If I could only have one, it'd be an Island.

Here's my latest video taken this past week with a girl who was recently given a monohull and is learning to sail. It was really, really hot and the wind not entirely dependable, so with the two to choose from, we took the TI so we could motivate no matter what . And... she has also been on the Weta (that video is also linked here) and she said that she thinks the TI is more fun. You judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Djq2uaZ724

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzW-rBt8iYM