Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Boat is a 2013 tandem.

It probably does not make much difference in performance but it bothers me to look at. The sail is twisted on the mast after every tack. I sometimes have to rotate the mast myself, this is not the issue but the top of the sail will have a wrinkle at the luff edge. I have played with the downhaul and it seems to have little effect. Speaking of such, the downhaul does not do as much compared to other sails, like a hobie 16 or laser.

Must say, after a dozen or so outings in the boat I am hooked. It is a blast to sail, with surprisingly good performance. So far everything has been on local lakes with shifty winds but it points and accelerates well. I got the little speedo tube for the mirage drive and when the wind picks up there is no problem floating the ball to the top of the tube. It is a wet ride, but that is part of the fun. I have also learned that furling the sail is often faster going upwind. I also have an AI, but have only taken it out once. My wife loves coming along.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The problem you have is the mast is a two piece mast and it's twisting in the middle (pretty common problem). Do not drill the carbon mast to pin it or anything. Best thing to do is line it up then wrap the joint with tape (seems to work the best). Yes your right, the down haul doesnt seem to have much effect, I just keep mine fairly loose so the sail can find it's own setting.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, the downhaul keeps the sail attached and allows you to furl. That's about it.

After you tape the mast pieces together, maybe you could try tensioning the sail on the boat (all the way out and sheeted, with no downhaul. Get the wrinkles out and then line up the downhaul and secure it taught. No need to over tighten. Just a good knot. If it comes loose at sea your going to really miss it! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The fit of the mast ferrule is very poor on most of these. The mast should not bottom out before coming tight. I shortened the top section on mine for a proper fit. You might go the tape route for an easier and simpler solution. Either way, you don't want the top section moving separate from the bottom section. As I believe these are originally wind surfing masts, that don't furl, the ferrule wasn't built to accommodate that turning motion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just wrap several inches of electrical tape around the mast joint and pull sail over it. Seems to work fine.