Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own a '14 TI and have sailed some 'off the beach' in Destin, Fl. I had a hands on lesson the first time I attempted to beach the TI in 1-2ft surf conditions. Started to broach just off the beach, rudder already raised (bad move), but man handled the clew and recovered. Now I unlock the rudder and the center board, build up speed with both sail and drive. keeping perpendicular to the surf line and pull the drive in about 2 ft of water and ride it in. I usually sail single handed.

This Sept. I'll be back in Destin on the beach and plan to get more experience (practice) launching and beaching in surf. I understand every beach is different, i.e, prevailing winds, breaking surf, bottom slope, etc., and requires different tactics. 'My' beach has breaking surf close in, except at low tide, and a fairly steep incline approaching the shore. The surf does not usually break parallel to the shore line due to prevailing winds.

I'm anxious to hear from sailors who successfully launch and recover from the beach and their favorite tactics, as opposed to the nay sayers about beach launches.

I've beach launched Hobie, 14, 16, Wave, and Playcat Escape cats. Tandem Islands definitely require different tactics launching thru surf and returning. Sometimes seemingly much easier, other times more challenging.

thanx in advance for your input.
bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have some lessons learned.

1. If you see surfers in the water around you, this is an strong indication to look for another beach location to land. (like i did)
2. Look at the wave sets to plan your approach. Dont ride in on the second wave of the set (like i did)
3. I do have a large bladed Canoe paddle I use from the rear seat to propel the boat when the drives are out. (like i did)

The front of the boat beached, but the following waves lifter the boat till I was 7 feet up in the air and rising. I had no where to fall but into the back of the wave. The last wave in the set lifted the boat parallel to the beach and I got stuck between the beach and the boat, NO MANS LAND. The Ama pin broke and the mast filled with sandy water.

The surfers rushed in and lifted the boat out of the water. I have the 2012 TI and the four handles were design FEATURE. those four young men carried the boat over the dunes and out to the street, cause I launched from a stone beach but landed on a sandy one.

I now have a used water ski tow rope that I can use to pay out with me floating behind it as a sea anchor, to move the boat through the surf, but Ive never practiced it. That one time was a bit too thrilling for me to try again.

I do enjoy seeing the FLA beach launches in the lap waves most of the beaches seem to have, and envy the east coast. Josh Holmes has some really good video of AI surf launches and returns in Austraila on Youtube. I am impressed by his feats in the surf with the AI

I have seen a couple of TI surf wash outs when the waves get over three feet. It takes a spirit that I just don't have to purposely put the boat (and me) into those challenging conditions

I did have a passenger that day who was more inexperienced than I and he nearly drowned in the surf line cause his PFD was too small for him and slipped upwards offering no buoyancy. The float pants I let him use, have attached socks and I did not supervise the fitting. They also were too loose and filled with water when he fell from the boat. He was floundering in the soft sand right at the surf line and couldn't stand up.

All of my stuff was clipped into the boat, I lost a hat and a sunglasses clip on. Now have prescription sunglasses, with neck strap.

Lessons learned. I now have another full size MAN's PFD. I supervise and check all PFD and float clothing fittings. Any passengers "experience sailing or boating" is temporarily forgotten until I ride with them for the day, in a lake of my choosing, and see for myself.
I have a dry bag with a couple of sets of clothing, on the boat and in the car.

I review the basics of getting back into the boats if you fall out, what the vest does, the whistle, why you should wear the PDF zipped up, and the need for communication on the water.

I was very lucky that day.