Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately hobie hasn't come out with their own hakas. Most people build their own out of wood, but some folks have purchased plastic spine boards.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally I prefer the tramps way over the HAKA's but that's just my personal preference. The older tramps had clips that break easily, but the clips were upgraded around 2014 to bigger stronger clips (retro fit-able to the older tramps.
We scuba dive off of our TI and walk and crawl around on our tramps with full gear on (I'm sure we are tipping 300 lbs with out tanks, BC's, and weight belts on. To hold the excess weight I just ran 5 lines of 700 lb paracord looped around the front AKA with a cinch knot (like a lasso). Then run them straight back under the tramp (I had to cut eyelet holes for the paracord to run thru on the underside of the tramp near the front). I then wrap the paracord around the rear AKA bar and slip the cinch knotted end into 5 stainless S-hooks that are slipped over the 3/8 fiberglass rod that the tramp clips go thru (watch my how to harden your TI video). With the Paracord under the tramps, they no longer stretch and sag with your butt in the water, and can easily hold two adults (though I wouldn't trust the AKA bars themselves with much over 300 lbs).
I have never taken my TI out without the tramps on, I consider them to be part of the boat.
To each their own.
FE/Bob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
I have never taken my TI out without the tramps on, I consider them to be part of the boat.
To each their own.
FE/Bob

Agreed Bob, I haven't taken either AI or TI out without the tramps on for years. I too consider them and essential part of the boat.
Why I prefer the haka over the tramps is that the raised height of the haka makes it much easier to cross from either side when tacking. No matter how tight the tramps are, the haka sitting on top of the aka would be at least 100mm/4" higher which makes for much less pressure on the knees when swapping sides.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:
Unfortunately hobie hasn't come out with their own hakas. Most people build their own out of wood, but some folks have purchased plastic spine boards.

And aluminium versions as well!
Don't forget those -light strong and maintenance free.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Harken has a wedge ive added to the front furling cam. That helps me from the back seat. I tie the end of the sheet line to the end of the furling line. I have the spine board hakas but have not done the hiking out. I suppose the only reasonable seat position is the front for a spine board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm having this same issue with determining the best solo position in high winds.

I sail most often in Corpus Christi Bay, where the winds are typically 15 knots and the water is choppy (the fetch is about 10 miles in the downtown area).

I went out two weekends ago, and between the wind blowing under the windward tramp (must have been more than 15kts), and the steep chop I could have tipped over while sailing from the back if I wasn't careful.

I then got behind the harbor wall where the waves are smaller and experimented with sailing from the tramps (and steering with my feet ;-), which kept the boat stable, but weather helm was a problem.

I'll try a tiller extension, getting far back on the tramps, and furling the sail.

Hakas may be may ultimate solution. If I mounted spine boards so they extended just aft of the aka's, how precarious does it feel to sit in that position?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

cbird808 wrote:
I'm having this same issue with determining the best solo position in high winds.

I sail most often in Corpus Christi Bay, where the winds are typically 15 knots and the water is choppy (the fetch is about 10 miles in the downtown area).

I went out two weekends ago, and between the wind blowing under the windward tramp (must have been more than 15kts), and the steep chop I could have tipped over while sailing from the back if I wasn't careful.

I then got behind the harbor wall where the waves are smaller and experimented with sailing from the tramps (and steering with my feet ;-), which kept the boat stable, but weather helm was a problem.

I'll try a tiller extension, getting far back on the tramps, and furling the sail.

Hakas may be may ultimate solution. If I mounted spine boards so they extended just aft of the aka's, how precarious does it feel to sit in that position?

When solo and hiked out in the higher winds, I've found the best way to control weather helm is to move as far aft as you can. With my hakas I'll sit right on top of the rear aka. I'll keep a nice grip on the sheet and will use it to help balance, especially if I lean back to fight a gust. I feel pretty well planted that way. There's times where moving further aft would help, but I would need longer hakas for that. Moving to the back seat also helps, but as you mentioned, the boat isn't as stable. Furling the sail will also control weather helm and is probably the more sane option. ;)

Last edited by chadbach on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer no haka or tramps while moving in the TI. Less is better for fishing, plus I like having full vision of the water next to the kayak from the rear seat going forward. But, with that said, I do like to use a down rigger on occasion when called for and have improvised a 1X6 type of haka to use with it mounted upon. I did buy one spine board for a haka for the occasion needed for longer trips involving supplies to be strapped down upon the haka. Also I do carry one tramp rolled up for the occasion called for relaxed moments at rest.
Personally I couldn't imagine ever getting out on a haka while sailing out over 1 mile from shore, as much as 20 miles at times, just too risky. At times I don't even want to get out of the seat in rough seas tethered or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I cobbled together a tiller extension today using a duster handle, two grey pvc fittings, two 1/4"eyebolts, a 5/8" bolt, 2 washers and a nut with nylon. The duster handle screwed directly into a 1/2" female threaded pvc fitting. The other pvc fitting was a plug that screwed directly into the same female threaded pvc fitting. I drilled a hole into the plug and screwed in the eyebolt. I ran the 5/8" bolt through a washer, the two eyes, the other washer, then the self locking nut. I have my steering handles pointed off the port side of the hull (270 degrees from dead ahead), so I screwed the extension into the rear handle, which gave me better leverage from the tramps. Pull = starboard, Push = port

I had my girlfriend drop me off at the boat ramp after launching the TI, and my plan was to sail from the Laguna Madre to the Corpus Christi Yacht Club.

I started with a long beam reach in calm laguna madre water with mild winds all the way to corpus christi bay. I was on the starboard tramp for this leg. The steering was a little touchy but ok. I tried furling the sail a bit and that was successful in improving my control. It's probably my steering setup, but I was pushing on the tiller extension a lot and forcefully to keep the TI tracking straight.

The TI was noticeably nose heavy with me on the tramp so I experimented with different positions. I was fairly comfortable sitting on the aka, but that's not far back enough for my 205lbs. As I entered CC bay and changed my heading to a broad reach, the TI became difficult to control from the tramps. I probably needed to furl the sail more to keep control, but I had enough and moved to the rear seat for the long run to downtown, tailwinds and waves the whole way.

I had a blast on the while running downwind. I was able to get the TI on several waves and ride them for ~30 seconds. I was a little better at going "left" than "right" on the waves for some reason, not sure. There were some gusts that got the adrenaline pumping, but i had my hand on the sheet and adjusted as necessary to keep the TI from capsizing or pitch poling.

I made it to downtown before the sun set and had to head upwind in the marina. I stayed in the back because the rudder stays in the water in that position. So it seems that if I'm on a beam reach, the tramps are a good position for me. Any other direction, I seem to prefer the back.

Perhaps if I moved my steering handles to point forward, the steering would be better with the tiller extension. There were a couple times where I had to control the forward steering handle with my feet because I could not generate enough leverage to push the rear lever back. I also don't think there's anyway I'd be able to get on waves for extended periods if I were controlling the steering with the tiller extension, even if I had a way to hike out in the rear. You have much better control by directly holding the stock steering handle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That sounds like it was a fun run. Where in the Laguna Madre did you put in? I love sailing down that way, great wind and so many places to go. I was surfing my first waves north of Port Mansfield on the Texas 200 last month. I definitely had the adrenaline going as well, I had never been in waves like that, but it was definitely a fun experience!

I agree that downwind is better from the rear seat when solo. It helps keep the bow up out of the water. I'll usually hike out going anywhere from close hauled to a beam reach, otherwise I'll jump in the back seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi cbird,

It was great to see and meet up with another TX TI owner yesterday. Glad to see you had a challenging, but fun run.

We'll be sure to let you know when we are heading back down your way!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chad, I put in at the boat ramp next to the SPID bridge. It's about 3.5 miles to cc bay from there.

Paces was nice to meet you. I've never seen a Hobie Island down here in Corpus, glad you stopped.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We've had our 2013 TI for a year now, and we're new to sailing in general. I'll second Bob's comment about keeping the sail partially furled in stronger winds. I tend to be a bit of a Nervous Nelly about breaking things, and I've seen too many videos of Islands with broken masts, and local little sailboat succumbing to the same fate.

If you look up and see your mast bending strongly, it's meant to do that to de-power the sail and help keep the boat from keeling over. However that's also putting a lot of stress on the mast. You're a lot better off to furl in your sail to the point that you can transfer as much power as possible down the mast without any need dissipate excessive power. I have to believe this will also extend the life of your sail and mast, but, again, I know these boats take a lot more abuse than I allow my husband to inflict on ours! I suspect that may be a wife thing. :-)

Or, to quote Tony Stott on another thread: "In general terms, furl the sail so that at least about 2 inches of the buried ama is above the surface (obviously it will vary more or less than this, but use this as an average). With the sail partially furled to achieve this situation, you will have some stability in reserve, as well as going about as fast as the vessel is designed for."

The other thing we've learned is when sailing into the wind and against a strong current, the rudder will have a hard time. Mirage power is pretty much a necessity at that point, and the faster you can pedal (that is, the greater forward motion you can generate), the better rudder response you'll get. There are a couple coves on Muskegon Lake where certain wind directions drive the water to build up strong off-shore currents -- and we haven't yet learned to make all the connections yet between place/conditions, so we'll sail into a cove to get out of chop and find ourselves surprised at how hard we've had to work to sail back. In fact, there have been a few times we had to furl the sail and pedal like heck because we were otherwise treading water. And that was with two of us on board, and I'm actually heavier than my husband.

In those cases when you're fighting wind/current, I don't believe you being in the back of the boat rather than the front would really make as much difference as your ability to paddle like a mad fiend! Vive la Mirage drive!

--- Muskegon Yacht Club ---

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added Hakas to my 2014 TI and sit in the position mentioned here as centered over the rear aka bar with one foot in front well one I in rear. Allows me to balance and keep hulls centered for top speed.

When I solo I add a large construction concrete cinder block under the rear tie down bungies. These are 30 pounds or so but enough to provide some balanc to helm. I'm 6.2 about 235 so I could really use a little more weight back there to be truly balanced but you get the idea.

I never sit in the back.

2014 TI Papaya
Aussieonyak Haka mods
GaryInWI seat mod
Yangler tiller extension
KayakingBob Aka tether
Polytarp Jib

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ttexpatriate wrote:
When I solo I add a large construction concrete cinder block under the rear tie down bungies. These are 30 pounds or so but enough to provide some balanc to helm. I'm 6.2 about 235 so I could really use a little more weight back there to be truly balanced but you get the idea.

I love this idea. Except maybe substituting a cooler packed with ice and a 6 pack. :D

--- Muskegon Yacht Club ---

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next