Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings,

I've just purchased a Red 2013 TI from a member on this board and brought it home this week. Some background on myself:
- Live in New Orleans - Near the Lake.
- Owned and Sailed quite often a few small sailboats: Sunfish; Vanguard-15; and Prindle 16 - - that is, until Katrina [2005] & 3 Kids beginning in 2007.
- Got the "boat bug" with the 10-yr anniversary and had to act!
- Own a condo on the beach in Fort Walton Beach and have seen TI's and AI's getting up and down the beach. Knew I had to have one at first sight! Just took a few years...

I have read through a lot of the posts and have already purchased a lot of b/u gear [Rudder Pins, Aka Pins, Life Jackets for the Kiddos, etc] along with Kayaking Bob's Spray Kit - - It installed nicely!! Also, did a "dry sail" yesterday and everything seems to be where it should be.

Which brings me to this upcoming Labor Day Weekend. I plan to trailer the boat to Ft. Walton Beach. My trailering question is:

My question: I noticed a lot of light 'vertical' scratches between the main hull and the amas. This has obviously been caused from the slight "up and down" that happens while going down the road. Q: What do you guys do to keep these pieces from rubbing?

After this weekend, I'll also be attempting to remove some small dents on the bottom of the main hull. My guess is the P/O didn't tie down the boat right while trailering and the boat "hopped" and caused some small dents nearby the cradles...

Thanks in advance! Shannon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mnmpizza wrote:
... along with Kayaking Bob's Spray Kit - - It installed nicely!!
Thanks and enjoy!

On the "travel" scratches, just put something between the hull and the ama, like a towel, scrap rug, yoga mat ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I cut up an old pair of pajamas and put them between the ama's and kayak. A rag or something other will do. I use a bungee chord to hold it so it doesn't blow away. Sort of a pain to deal with, but I didn't want to get scratches.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

the yellow micro-fiber towels sold at auto stores, Wally World, etc.etc. Folded in half and placed between hull and AMA, they're kind of grippy and seem to stay in place.

The Panhandle's a great place to sail.

fair winds,
bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried a yoga mat. It came out on the highway so I'm going to have to rethink how I install it.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try your local dive shop, for a discarded ripped wetsuit. I got one as a freebie, and cut 10 inch long "rings" from the legs. I use a spreader bar from pvc garden watering pipe, some thin cord, and a snap shackle which goes onto the a padeye. The doubel thicness wetsuit ring has worked perfectly for over three years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Try your local dive shop, for a discarded ripped wetsuit. I got one as a freebie, and cut 10 inch long "rings" from the legs. I use a spreader bar from pvc garden watering pipe, some thin cord, and a snap shackle which goes onto the a padeye. The doubel thicness wetsuit ring has worked perfectly for over three years.

TonyStott, can you post a picture of your setup. I'm having trouble imagining what it looks like. Thanks!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas