Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI rental in florida?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone know of a place that rents TIs in FL? I am in Crystal River (about an hr north of Tampa) but will travel. I will be in Destin camping in a couple of weeks (with the outback/sail) in tow!!) if there is anywhere around there.

I got the sail for my outback a few weeks back and it is a blast, now I am looking at TIs (I also sail a catalina 22).

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, since I guess there are no places to rent a TI, how does a windrider compare to a TI. I don't mean the finer points, just in general. I am used to sailing a catalina 22 and just want to see if my wife and I will like the sitting low, getting wet style of sailing. would a windrider give me that experience? there appears to be a place that rents windriders at honeymoon island.

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

really? nobody has any thoughts? am I asking the question wrong?

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Honestly I don't know if there is any boat out there that could give you a similar experience as a TI. It's such a different boat from everything else out there. A windrider might get you close, but you'll be missing a major piece of the TI; the mirage drive. There is literally nothing that compares to the mirage drive in both it's efficiency and versatility. You might have better luck either finding a nearby owner that would be willing to take you out or finding a local hobie dealer that could do a demo for you.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just saw this---there is a place in Key Largo that rents AI/TIs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Key sailing in Pensacola

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We go up to that area sometimes with our TI, but seldom use the whole rig up there (kayak mode). We have gone up and down the Sante Fe by kayak quite a few times but never with our fully rigged TI. Most of the time we go to crystal river only in kayak mode, however we did launch our full TI at the boat ramp right next to the scuba tank rental place in crystal river where we rented tanks and dove several of the springs off of our Fully rigged TI. It's about 5-6 miles from crystal river out to open ocean (a little far for kayak only). Most of the rivers up there are pretty narrow and weedy and are lined with trees (no wind for sailing).
There are quite a few Hobie dealers in the area, I would call them all and inquire about renting a TI, The one in Hommassis springs might be your best bet up there. When you get further south try calling tackle shack in st pete, if you get further south to Sarasota try calling Economy tackle (both are pretty large dealers).
One point to note is pretty much every time we have done the Sante Fe and Crystal rivers with our Oasis, Revo, and TI (kayak mode), we had the Hobie sail kits strapped the the side of the boats and used the sails whenever possible, which is a cool aspect of the Hobie sail kit, you can just throw it up and use it quickly when conditions are favorable, and easily stow it away when it's either too windy or no wind ( we have Pvc furlers on all our sail kits, and simply furl them up and stow along side the boat in the paddle holder when not using them). I had to make a sleeve adapter on the TI (basically a pool noodle with a piece of pvc pipe inserted (took all of two minutes to make)). Actually since 2008 we have never taken any of our Hobie kayaks out without a sail kit strapped to the side of the boat (not even once (lol)).
Hopefully this is of some help
FE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Riversport kayaks near me (in Homosassa-where I bought my outback) does not keep any islands in stock, so renting/demoing from him cant happen.

I really want more than a demo. I want to go out for several hours to try to really get a feel for it.

Also, I will be sailing it in the gulf here, not the rivers. I will either go in kayak more or take the outback if I am staying in the rivers.

I saw the place in key largo, that's a fall back (everyone needs an excuse to go to the keys, right??) I was just hoping there was somewhere closer.

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey if all you want to do is just go out on a TI for the day, if you wanted to come down to Sarasota some saturday, I would be more than happy to have you and wife and kids if you like go out with me (I can easily hold up to 4, as long as some are lighter (ie.. Kids). I launch at city island park just off lido key in sarasota most every saturday (weather permitting). I try to pedal my boat 15 miles a week as my exercise program, so I'm out there anyway.
However my TI is not stock off the shelf, it's slightly modified and hardened for offshore (where we mostly sail in the keys). Funny you mentioned the Windrider, mine is configured similar to a windrider 17 (bout the same sail area), and I have a couple pretty big outboards on mine specifically for offshore. I'm sure if you inquire, others (with just basic TI's) would be more than happy to take you out (most of us are looking for stuff to do).
The offers out there.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rental would be ideal, that way I could "captain the ship" and get a feel for it but I will CERTAINLY not turn down an offer to go out one someone else's with them. It will give us a better idea than what we have now!!

The key is that my wife gets to go too. I am trying to get her involved with sailing and she hasn't liked the keelboats (its the setup she doesn't like here) or the sunfish (too small and confined for two people). I am tired of buying boats to try them out :lol:

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Florida Bay Outfitters in Key Largo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a TI already (this thread is kind of old) but thanks anyways!

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is an old post but worthy of an update. We rented from Florida Bay outfitters a few weeks ago and can recommend them without reservation. In Key Largo, on Blackwater Sound I think. Their selection of boats is excellent. All new and in good shape. Great staff, they also have kayak tours that are fun too.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also, the Hobie Dealer in Sarasota (Economy Tackle) does a demo day once a month. I've heard they will bring out Islands, if requested.