Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hogman wrote:
Pete. Just a small question. How much time have you spent sailing the old hull shape?
Have you personally sailed and compared the two in all conditions.
Zero.

But I have no doubt the AI-2 sails significantly better - that many people can't be wrong.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chekika wrote:
Most of the additional sail on the AI 2 is high on the mast. Here is an image showing my wife's 2009 AI sail laying on top of my 2015 AI 2 sail.

In effect, my friend Josh Bowers pointed out, the AI is already "furled" compared to the AI 2. That is why my 2011 AI never exhibited weather helm, but my AI 2 does in winds of only 17-18 mph. The AI 2 has to be furled a wrap or 2 when winds reach 17 mph or so. Then, when the winds lighten up a bit, you unfurl the AI 2 sail to get more speed.

BTW, PC, when I google "K-factor," I get nothing about kayaks or kayak design or speed.

Keith

I think you'll see that exponentially, the new sail is increased in exact proportion to the old, although it may look it is weighted toward the top. I get heavy duty round up in my 2009 AI, (is it a 2007?, who knows, it's year one). I'm reefed at 15 for sure. The small rudder is part of the problem though. I find my AI to have a limited usefull range in winds. Between 8 and 15 is great. I would love to have a larger sail to enjoy light winds...or a REACHER! Above 15, I can furl, but then the waves pick up and the bow is plowing and I get soaked - I think the AI 2 helps to prevent that form what I hear.

To answer the original title, I'd like to be drier and more nimble in light winds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyway you want to describe it, the extra sail on the AI 2 is high above that on the AI. This is one of the main reasons the AI 2 is going to sail much differently than the AI. And it is the main reason that the AI 2 will experience weather helm whereas the 2011-2014 AI did not. The 2007-2010 AI had the small rudder which was easily overpowered by the sail.

Regarding your wish, Chrisgo, for a drier more nimble ride, you need to check out the AI 2--your wish may be granted, for a nominal charge. Add spray skirts and wear Kokatat Dry Pants, and you will be about as dry as possible on an Island.

BTW, you need to add your location to your profile under the user control panel, so we can see where you are.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chrisgo wrote:
... the new sail is increased in exact proportion to the old, although it may look it is weighted toward the top. I get heavy duty round up in my 2009 AI, (is it a 2007?, who knows, it's year one). I'm reefed at 15 for sure. The small rudder is part of the problem though. I find my AI to have a limited usefull range in winds. Between 8 and 15 is great. I would love to have a larger sail to enjoy light winds...or a REACHER! Above 15, I can furl, but then the waves pick up and the bow is plowing and I get soaked - I think the AI 2 helps to prevent that form what I hear.
Can't speak to the rudder diff, but my experience with my AI2 so far is that it's good up into the high teens/low twenties with no reef..... Somewhere in the low-to-mid twenties one turn of reef makes it sail faster and more controllably...... Depending on frequency and strength of gusts, that might extrapolate to reefing in the mid-to-high teens.

If my numbers seem high, that could be an artifact of my measurement methodology...... I use a local wind reporting service's graphs against my recollection of when and how much I reefed - after the fact...... and it seems possible that the location of their anemometer could be a little windier than what I see in the middle of the bay.

Maneuverability-wise in light air, I could not ask for anything better - especially with a few strokes on the Mirage Drive..... I am still working on heavy-air tacks.... Right now, it's about 50-50 that I either have to give it a little help with a paddle or reverse the helm and let it back around......

Mostly I sail without the Mirage Drive once it's whitecapping consistantly - unless I have an upwind destination in mind; then I'll use Mirage Drive until I get there and then pull it for the down-winder ......

I am leaning towards gybes instead of tacks in heavier air.

So far, I haven't figured out where the dag adjustment comes in...... Mine seems to sail better on all points of sail with the dag fully extended......Certainly the helm is lighter, more responsive, and more consistent....That is probably mis-perception on my part at some point of sail.... but I haven't zeroed in on it yet...... I guess dead downwind would be a candidate... but I don't do dead downwind....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in Toronto, Lake Ontario - hopefully the change shows in my profile.

Interesting that the AI2 still has trouble tacking. But it has to better than my 2007. I have managed to tack with the mirage drive insert in fairly easily in calm water and 10 knots. But when the chop picks up, it's rudder effectivenes really suffer from the porpoising on the rear. If I grab the clew or the outhaul near it, and yank it inboard and forward, (bellying out the sail), it helps finish the tack. Not sure why that is...ask Burnoule...or ask him how to spell his name, but I assume I am creating some lift that is pulling the bow around. Counter intuitive to how I used to sail a windsurfer,, but science is bugger of a mystery sometimes.

Dagger wise. Try to hold a course upwind with some stationary objects in the not too distant foreground, you will get a sense of how much leeway, the boat makes. (side movement as opposed to where you want to go).

Pull the Miragedrive and insert the plug downwind for fun. Yank the dagger as well. It won't get you to the moon, but should add 1 knot.

BEST THING FOR EXPERIMENTATION FOR COURSE AND SPEED is to pony up $15 for Navionics for you phone. Buy $1 tupperwear container and throw our phone in there. It will record your track and speed in installments of 10 feet or so. I'll see if I can post a pic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
Maneuverability-wise in light air, I could not ask for anything better - especially with a few strokes on the Mirage Drive..... I am still working on heavy-air tacks.... Right now, it's about 50-50 that I either have to give it a little help with a paddle or reverse the helm and let it back around......

Mostly I sail without the Mirage Drive once it's whitecapping consistantly ....

I am leaning towards gybes instead of tacks in heavier air.

I'm not sure if I have tried to tack in winds higher than 17-18 mph, still, I find the AI 2 tacks much, much better than my 2011 AI. If I were having trouble tacking (and I have not at this time), I would definitely have my Mirage drive in to help it around.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Having read a lot about the diffs between the old AI (have an AI 2012) and the new AI2, and also seen one AI2, there is clearly only one conclusion in the end. They are two different boats. Maybe it came as a surprise to many that to make a better sailboat Hobie had to sacrifice something. Even if Hobie would have chosen to sell both boats parallelly I would have a hard choice which to buy.

The result ending up in keeping my old AI for now (but not for ever). Not (yet!) prepared to sacrifice lower weight and better pedaling/paddling properties. The price also helps to keep me calm...

(BTW, bought an Epic V7 for more upperbody exercise and 2-3-day tours! :D :D )

BR
thomas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chrisgo wrote:
Interesting that the AI2 still has trouble tacking. But it has to better than my 2007.

Seems to me like my AI2 tacks best if I give it hard rudder at first, then lighten up on the rudder as power falls off...... As it crosses the eye of the wind, I un-cleat the main until it's fallen off the wind a bit and then crank it in hard.

Might be my imagination.... but that sequence of events seems to get me around the most reliably in light-to-moderate winds without using the Mirage Drive.

OTOH, my number of experiences with that method has fallen off to situations where I am sailing without the Mirage Drive - because I have taken to using the Mirage Drive almost on almost every tack when it is available.

It's just more enjoyable to whip that sucker around....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kal-P-Dal wrote:
Having read a lot about the diffs between the old AI (have an AI 2012) and the new AI2, and also seen one AI2, there is clearly only one conclusion in the end. They are two different boats. Maybe it came as a surprise to many that to make a better sailboat Hobie had to sacrifice something. Even if Hobie would have chosen to sell both boats parallelly I would have a hard choice which to buy.

The result ending up in keeping my old AI for now (but not for ever). Not (yet!) prepared to sacrifice lower weight and better pedaling/paddling properties. The price also helps to keep me calm...

(BTW, bought an Epic V7 for more upperbody exercise and 2-3-day tours! :D :D )

BR
thomas

When I first got my 2015 AI (the AI 2), it was obvious that the AI and AI 2 were 2 different boats. At that time, I suggested "AI 2" as a designation for the new boat. You can read about the name change here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=585 Scroll down to "2015 Mirage Adventure Island—What’s in a name?".

I think it would be very unprofitable for Hobie to carry both the AI--some sort of 2015 version--and the AI 2. The AI 2 is so improved in so many ways, no one would be buying the old version just to save a few hundred dollars. The big changes are speed, tacking & steering, center board, Vantage seat, dryer ride, slanted rear hatch, new Mirage drive technology, longer front hatch opening to carry a Mirage drive, large increase in hull volume. If you have an AI, fine, enjoy it as a versatile Island...but save your pennies for an AI 2.

As I've said before, the AI belongs in a museum along with the Ford Model A auto.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
As I've said before, the AI belongs in a museum along with the Ford Model A auto.

Keith

Well just got back from a river kayak trip, imagine any larger would limit exploration (mangrove tunnels). I rate the original AI with sailing rudder a B+ for all configurations. The added weight and girth is good for sailing (A ?) not for kayaking (C+) and loading (C), the boat is being specialized per the customers requests. Going to the museum is funny got a good chuckle.

But really lets talk the 6800 price tag.. OUCH. I'll wait till they are well used.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SFJ, where did you get that price of $6800 for an AI 2? There seems to be a shortage of 2016, although my friend CaptChaos has one. Kayak Shed has 2015 AI 2s at $4,599 + shipping, http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayaks/adventure-island-kayak Austin Canoe & Kayak in Austin, TX, is also selling 2015 AI 2s for the same price http://www.austinkayak.com/products/15776/Hobie-Mirage-Adventure-Island-Kayak.html

BTW, we have no idea where you are??? Why not update your profile under the User Control Panel to help us understand your environment?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, I think he was quoting the AU price. Things from the US tend to be a little pricier for our friends down under.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah I got confused between the TI & AI price when I visited the Tackle Shack when they verbally quoted me prior to the official release. So we went with two used AIs (Version 1 2013 2014). Wife an I never did well in tandem kayaks (divorce boats).

I reside in St. Petersburg FL (I'll get that updated).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SFJ--I think the term "divorce boats" was applied to kayak doubles, i.e., real sea kayak doubles. It was applicable to them, but the tandem--nothing sweeter for a couple. I think your used AIs will be fine, but when you upgrade, you might think of a tandem.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My wish:

1. Aluminum Trailer which can safely hold island accessories like dolly, sail, mirage, fishing rods, spare ropes, bikes, outboard and lockable box for small camping gears. A trailer where I can spread the outrigger.

2. The dolly I mentioned in item 1 must able to hold 300+ lbs kayak and uses Wheelez wheels and light enough that it can be used as a Hakas. Problem with current DIY dolly's are too big that we have to return back to our trailer to park it. I have something in mind and will start looking for light material like aluminum and build like a ladder shape cart with wheels at one end and use it as hakas without removing the wheels. We will never get satisfied if we continue to limit the size. BTW. I like the way they attached the new spinnaker to the Akas. That's how the Hakas should be attached to the Akas or better. Hobie's products really stands out from DIY items. So as much as possible I just want to buy from two sources (i.e. Hobie and Railblaza) for all my kayaking/sailing needs. Attaching something from too many manufacturers somehow makes the whole kayak appearance looks cluttered.

3. Outboard mount :). I like to bring outboard when fishing offshore as a backup. I can build one but I like something that matches with the look of the kayak.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next