Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fusioneng could u show me when u use those ropes when pedaling?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm always tryin to think up new ways to propel my boat, the ski rope idea came up when I had both sets of peddles rigged up with a pulley system so I could operate both mirage drives from the front seat. This was 3-4 yrs ago (before glide drives came out), needless to say the peddling effort was too much for me, trying to salvage the idea I added the ski ropes to help. I used the setup maybe 4 times then moved on to something else.
I just went out and looked at the boat and only half of the pulleys are still in place, I long ago used the rest of the pulleys for other stuff, and the spectra rudder line I used is re-allocated for other tasks. The ski ropes were stuffed in the mesh pocket for a couple years un-touched, except one or two times on long hauls when my knee was acting up (they actually did help).
I probably posted it on the forum somewhere at the time (good luck finding it now) but honestly it wasn't one of my better ideas (lol)
I just went out in the garage and looked and the ski ropes are gone, I'm sure I used the Paracord on something else.
The little loops of spectra are still wrapped around the pedals though.
I always carry extra paracord with me anyway and a knife, and I always carry extra stainless clips. If my knee were to go out again on a long pedal I would definately whip out my knife and cut two 3-4 ft lengths of paracord and start using them with my arms. Lol it's not like I'm doing anything with my hands anyway besides surfing the internet and the Hobie forums while I'm peddling usually in wind too light to sail around here any way. Wouldn't take more than a minute or so to make a set just to try it out (while out on the water). You don't need the ski rope handles just to try it out, if you like it you can make the handles later with two 4 inch long pieces of 3/8" dia pvc water pipe.
Hey stuff like this is not for everyone, most people don't mess about with their boats. Like I said it's not like your arms are doin anything anyway, might as well put them to work.

One thing I discovered just recently is if you have really old fins (mine were my original 2012 fins with thousands of peddling miles on them), if they are all wavy and stretched out, get new fins, your peddling effort will be half (I was shocked).
FE

Here is a pic of the spectra string loops (the key to everything)

Actually after trying the pulley system trying to pedal both my mirage drives at the same time, I made a small system that mounts on the rear mirage drive that operates with a cordless electric drill.
It used the same spectra sting loops around the pedal arms, and didn't interfere with normal peddling if I were ever to be able to coax a passenger to come along , usually never have any takers though, nobody ever wants to pedal 10-15 miles with me (lol), zero interest in that from all my family and friends 'EVER'.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank u FE for the very accurate report.
I like to pedal for a long time. I was also a biker (before falling in love with boating) and i have strong legs.
I think i can pedal for many hours. I wonder is with this system I could probably pedal with a faster rythm and therefore faster speed.
I also wonder how did u manage to keep the right direction of the boat since your hands were busy with pulling the lines

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the ocean direction is a loose term, you decide I want to go kind of thataway minor course corrections once in a while are all that are needed, typically if you have to be peddling this also generally means there isn't enough wind to do anything anyway so the wind won't be pushing you around much. Just watch out for channel markers (yea I've hit a few not paying attention).
Besides you can still adjust the rudder with the pull handle in your hand, just don't pull on it that stroke use your foot instead. With mine there was enough play in the line to reach the rudder control lever once in a while.
You can pull as lightly or as heavily as you like, I prefer lightly with just enough force to lighten the load on the downward stroke to preserve my knees for the duration of the day. In my case my knees are the first to go when peddling for long periods, long before my leg muscles, also always drink plenty of water, I typically will go thru 3-4 bottles on a 3-4 hr peddling day, helps with leg cramps, and helps wash the bad potasium away.

FE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sardinian Islander wrote:
....since with light or no wind we can peddle the mirage drive but the arms are "unemployed"....
Try putting a hand on each knee when you pedal and then use the arms to help the legs.

Sounds like it would be nothing, but I find it significant - maybe more because of the upper body movement than added horsepower.... but I notice a worthwhile diff.

Now, if I can figure out how to steer without using my left hand.....

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]