Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you everyone who responded

Last edited by Spook on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You didn't ask a question.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have my 2015 TI out a lot and have not noticed a difference. The little o-rings on the rudder line come out of the tube all the time, but, that is all I noticed. Did you look inside the rear hatch in the hull to make sure none of the rudder lines are binding, or maybe the tubes out of place? Also, check your rudder lock down... If for any reason, your rudder is rising up and down during sailing, you definitely will feel something like your describing... It has happened to me before when I forgot to lock down the rudder fully.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know why you would limit it to 2015 boats only. There are a number of reasons Islands steer with difficulty--anything from twisted lines internally, a slack line on one side, a tennis shoe caught up in the lines. If you really have a problem, you need to get a mirror or camera and look at the internal lines.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a similar problem on my older TI and seriously it really did turn out to be a tennis shoe lost in the hull. The design hasn't changed at all on the newer vs older boats.

Another thing that can cause this problem
'Snip'

Never mind

FE

Last edited by fusioneng on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a simple Poll for the 2015 Ti only, limited to this because that is what I am researching right now. Please do not reposed, if you have info to share then please go to the web site and click a response.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For those keen on steering these better, what I have found is that when on starboard tack, the centre board is on the wind ward side of the boat and slightly raised. Less centre board grip basically. To cure easily I now sail with the front mirage drive in and locked in the inline position. Made a big difference.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As you know, TIs have used the offset centreboard from the outset, so experiences with them should largely be comparable to those from 2015 and later AIs.

At the risk of disagreeing with you (again), I would be interested to know how the effectiveness of the centreboard on each tack could vary by any measurable degree when it remains fully submerged (and therefore having the same exposed length) on both tacks. Also, given that the Miragedrive fins are going to flex (by design) to effectively "weathervane", their resistance to sideslip would be negligible (and of course any effectiveness would be the same on both tacks, so would not reduce the difference between tacks anyway).

I don't know the answer, but it would be interesting if the difference could be quantified (admittedly almost impossible to do without loading up with sensors measuring apparent wind speed and direction, tide strength and wave direction, sheeting angle, heeling angle, etc etc)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
As you know, TIs have used the offset centreboard from the outset, so experiences with them should largely be comparable to those from 2015 and later AIs.

At the risk of disagreeing with you (again), I would be interested to know how the effectiveness of the centreboard on each tack could vary by any measurable degree when it remains fully submerged (and therefore having the same exposed length) on both tacks. Also, given that the Miragedrive fins are going to flex (by design) to effectively "weathervane", their resistance to sideslip would be negligible (and of course any effectiveness would be the same on both tacks, so would not reduce the difference between tacks anyway).

I don't know the answer, but it would be interesting if the difference could be quantified (admittedly almost impossible to do without loading up with sensors measuring apparent wind speed and direction, tide strength and wave direction, sheeting angle, heeling angle, etc etc)

It's not in the measurement, it's in the feel of the boat. I can feel it, but then I have been yacht racing all my life and am use to sitting on the side of a yacht and driving her upwind. I can feel the difference and know it is so. But it is more noticeable in my new TI over the old TI. I have also modified the steering controls now too.

As for performance, the new 2015 AI's were beating me upwind. Now I can match is go faster depending on the wind conditions. Also I could not turn the boat fast to starboard, now with the centre board system using the locked drives and a change to the steering controls I can put the nose exactly where I want it.

Keep in mind I am a sailor and I want my TI to sail better than it is. But for 95% of people they will not care, to them is is a kayak with a sail and gets them to where they won't to go but too me I can get it to where I want to go a bit better. :)